LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm used to the simple on/off of the directflo lid I had on my Firebird. The 3 little screws and the overflow tube are just a pain. Are the aftermarket systems out there any good? I hate to spend ~150.00 for what sounds like a "hot air intake".

comments?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The current speed inc setup without a airbox still gets a great gain but i thinking waiting for a boxed enclosure will be the best setup. Dyno shows 10hp/tq without a heat shield so i figure this is about the same as any other CAI.

Worthwhile mod by far but i think waiting to see who comes out with what will pay off. K&N has a aircharger setup out and i'm still waiting on the LPE to come in at a reasonable price.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
im waiting to see how much the LPE costs and how much gain it is worht. otherwise i will probably go with the MPD.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
The intake on this car was an after thought. With the Speed Inc kit, I take my entire setup out loosening one screw on a clamp. The one holding it to the throttle body. I've had it in and out some several hundred times and takes about 30 seconds.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Oh yea, for all you waiting on the Lingenfelter unit, expect to pay nearly double what the going rate is for the units currently on the market.

Don't get me wrong, John and his stuff are top notch, but you're paying for that name!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
04bluegto said:
getting the stock airbox out was a pain in the butt!!! I so glad i went with the Speed Inc HFI. I wanted to wait for the LPE but It will be like $300 i bet and no way I'll pay for that. The Speed Inc set up just needs somthing to wrap around the filter like the LPE set up.
Unfortunately I think every intake made right now for the Goat is
sh!t.........all hot air suckers.....hopefully someone will come up with a better solution. OG?? Blitzu?? :secret: :sneaky:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Well DB, until you figure out a way to plumb it through the radiator or cut big holes in the hood that directly feed the TB, you're pretty much relegated to what's currently out there.

Blitz is on the right track. That area in front of the front driver's wheel will run your IAT's roughly 10 - 15* lower than the stock location of the IAT. At least mine ran this much cooler.

Your other option is to have someone adjust your IAT vs. timing table in LS1Edit to not factor in the IAT's with such severity.

·
21,898 Posts
Blitzu said:
....Sheeeesh :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
well.......You have to show me something here......I still think the best solution would be to get something routed to the front but.......I know I know the cutting thing.....I tell you they really screwed up on this part....I spent all day saturday at the dyno starring at vettes and T/A's with great functional inductions........flipping straight into the throttle body.....then I looked at mine and it was like WTF.....

·
21,898 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Well DB, until you figure out a way to plumb it through the radiator or cut big holes in the hood that directly feed the TB, you're pretty much relegated to what's currently out there.

Blitz is on the right track. That area in front of the front driver's wheel will run your IAT's roughly 10 - 15* lower than the stock location of the IAT. At least mine ran this much cooler.

Your other option is to have someone adjust your IAT vs. timing table in LS1Edit to not factor in the IAT's with such severity.
I hear ya......its just sad....such a great engine and no good way to get the colder air in there.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yup, like I keep saying, the intake on this car was a packaging afterthought.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Unfortunately I think every intake made right now for the Goat is
sh!t.........all hot air suckers.....hopefully someone will come up with a better solution. OG?? Blitzu?? :secret: :sneaky:
Hear ya! Buying a 4 inch holesaw today... :sneaky:

·
21,898 Posts
Old Goat said:
:eek2: :sneaky: you lead the way..... :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
You know - all this work makes me wonder how much a lower profile radiator like the one on the Stu Hayner race car would run ($) - allowing an f-body or vette-like intake box on top of the radiator drawing air from the nice honeycomb grill.
Dan

·
21,898 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
You know - all this work makes me wonder how much a lower profile radiator like the one on the Stu Hayner race car would run ($) - allowing an f-body or vette-like intake box on top of the radiator drawing air from the nice honeycomb grill.
Dan
Thats what I have been starting to think about....ultimately I think it would be the best solution......

·
3,327 Posts
I am moving this one so it does not get lost in the lounge....

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Old Goat said:
if you were only going to use it once won't it be cheaper to just buy the 4" hole ? :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
svede1212 said:
if you were only going to use it once won't it be cheaper to just buy the 4" hole ? :drink: :drink: :drink:
You could look in a mirror to see what you saw and then use the saw to make the hole!!
:drink::drink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts