LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of cutting off the resonators and replacing the factory mufflers with dynomax bullet mufflers. Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking of replacing the tips also later down the road. How loud do you think it would be?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I wouldn't cut off the resonators unless you do a set of headers. One thing that is nice with this exhaust setup from the factory, is that after the resonators is a flange that allows you to quickly unbolt and remove the cat-back.

If you cut off the resonators, without remaking the flange (as the resonators are pretty close), you take the chance of messing this up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes...someone has done this. Although I am using the stock mufflers and Borla pipes from the mufflers back. After seeing the way the stock mufflers are built, I do not feel they are very restrictive. The tone of my car sounds like it did stock, but louder. The stock mufflers are built with different flow paths, which helps in part get the unique GTO sound, but also helps reduce interior drone.

This is more of a restriction

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Nice!

And yea, that crimp does restrict things some. :D

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I just had done what is shown in Stan's pictures yesterday at a local exhaust shop for $80 total. Doesnt really sound THAT much different but I can notice a bit more of a growl. The resonators really arent that restrictive, the inner pipe is the same diamter as the system piping, its just perforated with some material around it. Seems to me it would cause more turbulance than anything. But nonetheless they are now off and I get a bit more burble and popping on the deceleration and a bit more growl when accelerating but its not THAT nocticable. Do I regret doing it? No. Would I spend the money to do it again, hmmmm not sure at this point.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You probably got a different "tone" to it too! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna go today and talk with the guy. I think I'm definitely gonna cut off the resonators and replace the mufflers with the smallest muffler they've got. I'm gonna see what they have to say and then decide for sure. I'll keep you posted.. Thanks for all the responses..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just got back a while ago. I had the resonators removed and the mufflers replaced with glasspacks. It sounds pretty mean, but not very loud on the inside. It is definitely louder on the outside. It seems to pop more on deceleration, but that will wear off as the glasspack breaks in. These things usually get louder over time. I also had some 3 inch rolled tips put on. Overall, I'm happy. I got the sound I was looking for. I still think its kind of quiet in comparison to some of my previous cars. The best way to describe it is that is sounds kind of like a loudmouth on an f-body. Thanks again.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
These cars are just so well insulated both inside and outside. :D

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
sorry, to raise this from the dead

But... how do you guys think this setup would work? (Once someone comes out with an aftermarket dual bumper OR I get the balls to cut mine.

Anyone? Anyone?

I think it would sound similar to the guy with the Borla (after-muffler, no resonator setup)... ? Just with a consmetic change?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
SEMA had a car with split duals. last year, but no one has yet brought the rear valence panel (it's really the whole bottom bumper that needs to be replaced). Of course the '05 is supposed to have a split also, so perhaps waiting for an '05 bumper might work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts