LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the car and was wondering if it was possible to run 17x8's up front and 18x8's in the rear. The back of the car to me seems bigger and thought it might give it a cool look. Any thoughts?? My vette was set up like that and I was wondering..

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
You can, but personaly i'd almost go +1 front, +2 rear if I did that. Better yet, make the rears an inch wider too and mount a 275 tire out back and 245's up front.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying not to have to buy 4 new tires, plus 18 is about as big as I wanna go. I might bump up the back to a wider tire. I miss the f-body when you could put 9.5's up front and 11's in the back.. Anybody else?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
18x9's wouldnt look too bad in the rear with 17x8's up front if that is as large as you want to go. Like you said, you can reuse the stock tires up front and save the ones from the rear to mount up front when those wear out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You have to keep the circumference the same, otherwise your computer and ABS will complain.

·
Registered
607 Posts
flyinlow said:
You have to keep the circumference the same, otherwise your computer and ABS will complain.

I was wanting to do the same thing w/ 18's up front and 19's in the rear with the front tires circumference being about an 1.25 inches different.

Could you explain what you mean by complain?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think what he means by complain is that your engine lights will start to come on. I think you can probably keep the same circumference with 17's and 18's. I don't know about 18's and 19's. Does anyone know if I ran a 245/45 on a 17 up front and a 245/40 on an 18 in the rear if it would have the same circumference? Thanks.

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
josephra said:
I was wanting to do the same thing w/ 18's up front and 19's in the rear with the front tires circumference being about an 1.25 inches different.

Could you explain what you mean by complain?
Given the different speed of rotation between the different diameter tires, the ABS will think that the front tires are rotating at a different speed than the rear due to an imminent lockup situation. It will potentially put you in an abs stop mode during driving, if it does not set a code immediately. The traction control system may also think you are in a wheelspin situation and attempt to reduce engine power to counteract it. The only ways around this, short of running the right size tires front/rear, would be to build a frequency converter for the sensors to get them to read the replacement tire/wheel assembly rotational speed as it read the originals, or to have a new sensor ring with different spacing on the teeth to compensate. Neither is a cost effective solution for the average car owner, so the most logical alternative is to use the correct diameter tires.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Frank said:
I think what he means by complain is that your engine lights will start to come on. I think you can probably keep the same circumference with 17's and 18's. I don't know about 18's and 19's. Does anyone know if I ran a 245/45 on a 17 up front and a 245/40 on an 18 in the rear if it would have the same circumference? Thanks.
245/45 x 17 would be 134"
245/40 x 18 would be 137.35"

But what's the purpose of running larger rims and then trying to keep the overall diameter the same by using shorter sidewalls? Doesn't make sense IMO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info.. I just thought it would look good. I guess its not gonna work. Thanks for all the help..

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
mlc said:
245/45 x 17 would be 134"
245/40 x 18 would be 137.35"

But what's the purpose of running larger rims and then trying to keep the overall diameter the same by using shorter sidewalls? Doesn't make sense IMO.

I talked this idea over with some of the Cleveland guys and we came to the same conclusion. In order for the electronics to work you need to keep the same overall diameter of the tire thus bigger rim but shorter rubber. To the trained eye, it might look silly, to the untrained eye something will look "off" but they probably won't be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, how is it on the Corvette it doesn't really look any different. Also, doesn't cause any problems? O.K. here's my math.. a 245/45 will have 4.34 inches of sidewall. 4.34x2 +17 inch rim=25.68 height of wheel and tire. a 245/40 will have 3.85 inches of side wall. 3.85x2 +18 inch rim=25.71 height. The net difference would be .03 inches unless my math is wrong.. Does this look right??

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I relealized I forgot to double the sidewall height. your right and the circumference would be close enought to not be a problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again..

·
Registered
607 Posts
thanks for the info on this, while it ruined my plans that took forever to decide on... it definately saved me future aggervation.

back to wheel hunting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry it ruined your plans. I went ahead and just went with the 17's. I didn't want to be the first guy to try the 17 18 combo. Now, I've got some Voxx saga wheels. They look badass and the cost didn't hurt that bad either.. Thanks for all the input though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts