41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Ive gone through probably 3 different mufflers on my GTO but probably 4-5 different actual setups varying with cats, high flows, resonators, x pipes, Longtubes etc. Corsa sport 05-06 style, x pipe, high flow cats and LT's is where I am at and I am staying here. I started with spintechs but I had my friend drive my gto with the spintechs and I did not like the sound from the outside, especially on WOT. Corsa is quiet while cruising and no drone, and very loud on WOT. Spintech made me sound like a diesel truck haha

I can relate. my car sounds like ass. I'm changing it up this weekend. This is what it sounds like when I get on it.....didnt stop spinning till I let up.....

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Sounds fair for the materials and labor. Now let me mull over if it is really worth the trouble to me! I'll let you know and thanks already for the time you've spent discussing this and checking into materials. How wide are they? Meaning, how deep into the 3 inch pipe would they go?

thats all up to you. I can make the taper however you like.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
a
ski is a smart gai. you'd have to find one that tapered to 2.5"

that might not be likely.

you could turn down the outside of a race down if it was slightly too big, though.
bearing race is HARD. Not sure how that would machine...if it even would.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Are you thinking of using the bearing race?

Yes I know, but it's gone this far so I should at least consider it.

If they aren't a snug press fit, I'd find a way to attach them more permanently. My first concern is if we go to all this trouble and they are just a bit too large I'd never get them in the pipes. I guess I could cut through them so they could collapse a little to at least get them in and tack weld them in or something.

Do you have any drill bits and taps? If so, I could send you a couple 6-32 stainless button head screws and you zip a hole through the pipe and into the insert, thread it and screw it in. I do something like this on my slip joints because they....slip. and come out.

·
Worthless reject member
39,142 Posts
Would need to be ground to size.
yeah, you can definitely grind it. i ground down an old pinion race when i was figuring out the right shims to use in the spare diff i have laying round, so i could just slip it on and off. it wasn't pretty, but it worked.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts