LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking into gears so I wanted to know if anyone had any info on labor?
Also, what kind of E.T.s and MPH did you pick up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I rode in the Lingenfelter GTO with 3.91 gears,second gear comes up real quick!
I suggest you contact Jeff at Lingenfelter.com. He can give you all the details!

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Good mod. Will definitely be able to tell a difference by the seat of the pants driving. Had mine put in by a professional rear end shop. Ordered the gears from Oz and had them put in locally. Be sure to put the same type of GM lubricant as what was originally in the car, or at least that is what was recommended by the shop. I wanted to put shock resistant oil with the friction modifier in it but they didn't suggest I do that. Be sure to get a new set of cv joint to coupler bolts and also get new bearings for the pinion shaft. All in all, a bit over $400 for the install, lube, and bearings. It was more for the labor and installation than it was for the gears, so don't let the dealers sell you gears higher than this!

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Mine go in next week. I expect at least a 0.5 gain on my ETs. Of course, mine's an A4 so it'll drive a little different.

Padre

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BillyGoatGruff said:
Good mod. Will definitely be able to tell a difference by the seat of the pants driving. Had mine put in by a professional rear end shop. Ordered the gears from Oz and had them put in locally. Be sure to put the same type of GM lubricant as what was originally in the car, or at least that is what was recommended by the shop. I wanted to put shock resistant oil with the friction modifier in it but they didn't suggest I do that. Be sure to get a new set of cv joint to coupler bolts and also get new bearings for the pinion shaft. All in all, a bit over $400 for the install, lube, and bearings. It was more for the labor and installation than it was for the gears, so don't let the dealers sell you gears higher than this!
How much did everyhing cost you when you were done? Parts and labor.
Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PadreGTO said:
Mine go in next week. I expect at least a 0.5 gain on my ETs. Of course, mine's an A4 so it'll drive a little different.

Padre
What's MDMC chargin you padre? Parts and labor.
Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
we are putting them in our A4 soon we paid roughly 600 for parts with freight from australia and we plan to do it ourselves so ti won't cost much...I agree I expect a half second in ET is reasonable if all goes as planned

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got Mine yesterday, Gears and install kit was 665.00 with shipping.
Labor time plan on paying for four hours or so, took me about 2.5 to actually do it...
As far as how it feels, i really like it, made my cam drivability better, it acts like a 3.90 more than my 3.73 car and not as much as the 4.10
3.9 best gear for this car IMO

·
3X HIN Hottest Modern Muscle
1,028 Posts
I am interested in doing this also, where can i get all the parts from at a good price? Should i do it my self, dont know much about cars, but i have access to a lift and all the tools ever needed, and my dad knows alot about cars and would help. Or should i have my dealer do it? Any advice would be helpfull.

·
8,959 Posts
PrescribedPower said:
3.9 best gear for this car IMO
Glad to hear that - I was going to go 3.73's but a set of 3.91's happened to arrive so I said what the heck. :) Price I paid for parts is about the same.

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
kingkong401 said:
I am interested in doing this also, where can i get all the parts from at a good price? Should i do it my self, dont know much about cars, but i have access to a lift and all the tools ever needed, and my dad knows alot about cars and would help. Or should i have my dealer do it? Any advice would be helpfull.
Definitely have someone who knows what they're doing for the install. If done wrong, you'll get whining of gears or worse.

Doug: I'm getting mine through MDMC - I'm sure there are plenty of other tuners who can get 'em.

Padre

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
You can actually recal the speedo in the Goat with a Tech II and no external software hehe

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I got my gears when I got my brakes from Oz. The difference between the cost of the brakes and the gears with shipping turned out to be about $700. Of this, $350 was for shipping. I recalibrated the speedo with the predator programmer. All said and done, I think everything wound up being around $750 total.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
GTPprix said:
You can actually recal the speedo in the Goat with a Tech II and no external software hehe

OK... Pardon the "engine guy's" dumb question but what's "TechII"???

Man I need to get out of the shop more... :D

Ed

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
EDC said:

OK... Pardon the "engine guy's" dumb question but what's "TechII"???

Man I need to get out of the shop more... :D

Ed
Tech II is the code reader/programmer used by GM for every OBD2 car since '96. You can read realtime engine date, record it for future playback, and use it for the speedo cal. mentioned above. Nice toy to have access to.
:)

·
2002 Phantom HSV GTO
39 Posts
the better option is to change it with edit or other tuning product

with the tech2 they only really change the ppk setting dont they ?

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
Yup PPM/PPK but if you've got a Six Speed it doesnt matter too horribly much :) I know there is a VCI calibration for gear changes as well..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts