LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with 22k miles is worth on the open market. Yeah I know its all what someone is gonna give but what is a fair price. I am in the intial stages of the 402 APS TT swap.

My ls2 will come with everything except for heads and intake manifold. Custom flowtech cam and slp ported oil pump included.

Car has never seen track time and basically was a nice DD until I purchased a cobalt a month ago. The current owner of a speed shop was inquired about it but I want to make sure I don't get burned.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry if this isn't in the right spot (it is an engine section though). Mods feel free to move if necessary. It's not up for sale right now that is why I didn't post this in the "for sale section". It should be up in a month or 2 though or sooner....

·
Refuse to lose.
3,509 Posts
Look on eBay to see what used LS2 shortblocks are going for. That should give you an idea as to what to price yours.

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
Man Pharm, some money to burn huh? I thought you just did cam and heads and ton of other stuff like two months ago?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
John Doe said:
Man Pharm, some money to burn huh? I thought you just did cam and heads and ton of other stuff like two months ago?
It never ends man. I thought 450 rwhp was enough. Not even close. Sad part is that your right, I haven't even seen what my current setup can do. I have never tracked it or put on M/T's but I can feel that its not "fast enough". I wan't more. I have to be careful though because I want this to be a street car and given the problem with our skinny tires and such I want it to be still a nice cruiser on the road. So I am torn between just doing the SLP forged iron 402 low compression (AFR 225 heads and EDC custom cam with complete bolt-on's) and an APS TT kit or just getting the aluminum SLP forged 402 (high compression) with full bolt on's, achieving 500 + rwhp and calling it a day..decisions man..damn

In terms of money..I am single and make a good living. I am dumb and young and while I have profit sharing and stock and all the crap with my company, I still haven't figured out its better to plan for the future instead of burning money left and right....

Or at least it's not quite as fun...

·
Registered
25 Posts
id do the tt set up.. the power would be endless..

·
Thats not right.....
670 Posts
I say go with the turbos...more power baby. All you have to do is learn to keep your foot out of it on the street. And plus with a turbo setup you can turn down the boost to keep it drivable.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CosmosGoat said:
I say go with the turbos...more power baby. All you have to do is learn to keep your foot out of it on the street. And plus with a turbo setup you can turn down the boost to keep it drivable.

That is the problem though. This car is a street car 90% of the time and will see some strip time but that will be a minority. A forged 402 is a good starting point no doubt. The sheer cost to forge the 364 is the reason why I am stepping it up to a larged CID engine. A forged 402 shortblock is about the same price of a good stroker kit and your getting larger displacement.

I would hate to get into a setup that doesn't allow me to enjoy it because the car would be like driving on ice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My brother's Cobra is at 420rwhp on 315 nitto drag radials with 10.5" wheels. He says it's already too dangerous to go full throttle anywhere except an empty freeway.

pharmdgto, I'm surprised you feel you still need more. What is your wheel/tire setup?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Venom said:
My brother's Cobra is at 420rwhp on 315 nitto drag radials with 10.5" wheels. He says it's already too dangerous to go full throttle anywhere except an empty freeway.

pharmdgto, I'm surprised you feel you still need more. What is your wheel/tire setup?
Running stock size front and 255's in the rear. Nitto 555 R's. I plan to roll the fenders and put at least 275's back there. I would love to get larger back there without tubing the car. I have seen a thread where some used adapters/spacers to get larger sized tires back there.

At the end of a the day, I just want a street car that I is extremely fast and knocks me back into the seat. 450 rwhp was fun at first but doesn't thrill me anymore. Granted I never flogged the hell out of it that much but I want that instant torque down low and throught he rpm band. Maybe I have a small schlong I dunno but I just want more..I want to be afraid of the car I guess.

I also have started the weight reduction. Rear seats are an afterthought and am currently working on getting the stockers out of the front and replacing them with sparco torino II's. That should be 200lbs there no problem. Add a carbon fiber hood and maybe look into having a trunk lid done and we save some conderable amount of weight there too.

·
Registered
901 Posts
pharmdgto said:
but I want that instant torque down low and throught he rpm band.
Forgive me, but I don't see how you're going to get more than 450rwhp to grip on the street with 275s even with drag radials. So I don't see how you're going to experience torque down low if traction won't allow it.

I think anything more than 450rwhp on regular pavement and your car will start getting slower (excessive spin).

Here's an extreme example to illustrate my point:
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/06-27-06pageLingenfelterC5Vette.htm

just curious...not trying to argue anything here.

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
Rant on......

It never ceaces to amaze me what people do with their money! Good for you that you can afford to throw money at your car left and right but for what? Sure it's all for your enjoyment but why? You even admit that you've never had the car at the track, why? I admit I've taken a similar approach but stop short to do a sanity check on the 1320'.

I have a 150 shot with a full 10lb and 15lb bottle ready to RIP!! But I am holding off until I dial in the car the way it sits with my paltry Cam, FAST, LT's, 3.91's and Stall. Once I'm consistant with that setup, I'll spray it. Then once I'm consistant with that setup, then I'll bolt up the Procharger. Then once dial it in, I'll spray it on top of the Procharger. Sure it's a never ending thing but I have a goal, to make the car as consistant as possible on the 1/4 mile. So, my question to you is, what are YOUR goals for your car?

Sorry....Rant off....

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
I sold a 17K mile LS2 on eBay for $2500

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
pharmdgto said:
It never ends man. I thought 450 rwhp was enough. Not even close. Sad part is that your right, I haven't even seen what my current setup can do. I have never tracked it or put on M/T's but I can feel that its not "fast enough". I wan't more. I have to be careful though because I want this to be a street car and given the problem with our skinny tires and such I want it to be still a nice cruiser on the road. So I am torn between just doing the SLP forged iron 402 low compression (AFR 225 heads and EDC custom cam with complete bolt-on's) and an APS TT kit or just getting the aluminum SLP forged 402 (high compression) with full bolt on's, achieving 500 + rwhp and calling it a day..decisions man..damn

In terms of money..I am single and make a good living. I am dumb and young and while I have profit sharing and stock and all the crap with my company, I still haven't figured out its better to plan for the future instead of burning money left and right....

I hear ya brotha, enjoy spending it as much as anyone. But why not just go with a Procharger and keep your current cam? Tons of high end with driveable bottom end, I'm still stuck if I want to go H/C or Procharge. Look at the numbers some guys are laying down, CRZY is puttin down over 6.

I know your looking for that "Holy Chit" feeling again like the first time you drove it man, but you will acclimate to the car at ANY hp level. It's the law of deminishing returns after 450 on this rear tire set up.

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
Why not just keep the LS2 and forge it. I rode in an APS car recently and it was nothing short of incredible. It had heads, cam and stock bottom end and it was running over 600rwhp and around 650ftlb of torque. Forge the bottom so you can turn it up and you would be at 700rwhp in a hurry. More than any GTO should have. Just make sure you have the suspension, drivetrain, and brakes to match....

·
Registered
901 Posts
1stGOAT said:
Why not just keep the LS2 and forge it. I rode in an APS car recently and it was nothing short of incredible. It had heads, cam and stock bottom end and it was running over 600rwhp and around 650ftlb of torque. Forge the bottom so you can turn it up and you would be at 700rwhp in a hurry. More than any GTO should have. Just make sure you have the suspension, drivetrain, and brakes to match....
see post #8

it would cost more to forge the stock motor than it would be to buy a new larger forged motor. strange, but true.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
barkingspud said:
Rant on......

It never ceaces to amaze me what people do with their money! Good for you that you can afford to throw money at your car left and right but for what? Sure it's all for your enjoyment but why? You even admit that you've never had the car at the track, why? I admit I've taken a similar approach but stop short to do a sanity check on the 1320'.

I have a 150 shot with a full 10lb and 15lb bottle ready to RIP!! But I am holding off until I dial in the car the way it sits with my paltry Cam, FAST, LT's, 3.91's and Stall. Once I'm consistant with that setup, I'll spray it. Then once I'm consistant with that setup, then I'll bolt up the Procharger. Then once dial it in, I'll spray it on top of the Procharger. Sure it's a never ending thing but I have a goal, to make the car as consistant as possible on the 1/4 mile. So, my question to you is, what are YOUR goals for your car?

Sorry....Rant off....
Sorry that I have the ability to spend alot of money on the goat. As far as current goals, I want a consistent 10 second street car. No more, no less. As far as tracking the car, that will come in time. I was gonna take it out by now but had dual head gasket failure and the car has been in the shop switching from ls2edit to HPT.

I do not want to half ass this project. I don't see the use of putting massive amount of horsepower and torque on stock internals. If I am gonna run some amount of boost, I have the ability to afford a completely forged setup and that is what I am gonna do. It makes sense to just go 402/408, especially given the price of an forged iron 402. I already have the AFR 225's, FAST 90 intake and FAST fuel rails. Having Ed at flowtech grind me a nice cam is no problem.

It doesn't stop at the motor either. I want a compete suspension upgrade (pedders track II or having a custom one build), racing 4l65E and a complete rear end rebuild. Then we move to brakes and so on. Sure I could just go and buy a 06 ZO6 but what is the fun in that. I love the GTO....Also I figure for what I could get for the ls2, it almost pays for the 402 forged shortblock.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Venom said:
Forgive me, but I don't see how you're going to get more than 450rwhp to grip on the street with 275s even with drag radials. So I don't see how you're going to experience torque down low if traction won't allow it.

I think anything more than 450rwhp on regular pavement and your car will start getting slower (excessive spin).

Here's an extreme example to illustrate my point:
http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/06-27-06pageLingenfelterC5Vette.htm

just curious...not trying to argue anything here.
Oh I hear you man. That is exactly why I was just thinking to build a massive N/A setup and call it a day. I would love to find a way to put 300+ size tires on here without tubbing.

The reality is that I don't want a dyno queen. I want to be able to use it...

·
Registered
901 Posts
pharmdgto said:
Oh I hear you man. That is exactly why I was just thinking to build a massive N/A setup and call it a day. I would love to find a way to put 300+ size tires on here without tubbing.

The reality is that I don't want a dyno queen. I want to be able to use it...
What do you think about that JHP wide body kit that was recently introduced? That would enable 315s

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
pharmdgto said:

Ah, but see, in the end you can prove that your choices were the best. Who needs a retirement plan when you end up pulling a James Dean.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts