LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Magic Blue Bottle
91 Posts
for whatever it is worth...

While I don't have it hooked up yet, I got with a shop here that I have dealt with for years that specialize in nitrous systems. He hasn't done a GTO yet but many LS1 camaros and vettes. He recommends a single nozzle dry kit before the MAF. NOS doesn't make a specific kit yet but with an aftermarket CAI I don't think that makes much of a difference anyway.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTOYACO said:
While I don't have it hooked up yet, I got with a shop here that I have dealt with for years that specialize in nitrous systems. He hasn't done a GTO yet but many LS1 camaros and vettes. He recommends a single nozzle dry kit before the MAF. NOS doesn't make a specific kit yet but with an aftermarket CAI I don't think that makes much of a difference anyway.
i thought that a dry set up was really bad unless you upgrade the fuel system to keep it "wet" and prevent burning up heads and such?? this is from those who know more than i (DY)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only minor mods gravana intake, should have Stainless works headers w/o cats and Granetelli maf in by friday will probably do all this weekend. A little gun shy on the nitrous just never used before, but thought was a cheep way to get hp.

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i thought that a dry set up was really bad unless you upgrade the fuel system to keep it "wet" and prevent burning up heads and such?? this is from those who know more than i (DY)
A dry setup works by injecting the nitrous upstream of the MAF, which makes the computer read more air, thereby increasing the amount of fuel from the injectors. Problem I see w/ running a dry kit on the GTO is that the MAF is so far away from the throttle body. On the F-body it isn't as much of an issue, since its a straight shot to the throttle body.
:)

·
Magic Blue Bottle
91 Posts
since the MAF is the part that is 'reading' the denser air charge, does it make a difference how far away the throttle body is? I think the only 'drawback' might be that a 100 shot ends up being far less that the advertised 100 hp gain.

once I get my kit on it will be back to the dyno to find out though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sam 04 GTO said:
That was my thought, the charge may not be as strong having to travel that far, but then, I'm no expert on nitrous, just familiar w/ the basics.
:)
The instructions say to mount the nozzle in the intake tube 2 to 6 inches before the throttle body it says the actual spacing is not important.

·
Magic Blue Bottle
91 Posts
did you get a wet it or a dry kit? difference is you have both fuel and nitrous being injected with the wet and only nitrous being injected with the dry.

With the dry kit it would need to be mounted before the MAF or else the computer would never know to increase the fuel to the fuel injectors...

nitrous + no extra fuel = BOOM!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTOYACO said:
did you get a wet it or a dry kit? difference is you have both fuel and nitrous being injected with the wet and only nitrous being injected with the dry.

With the dry kit it would need to be mounted before the MAF or else the computer would never know to increase the fuel to the fuel injectors...

nitrous + no extra fuel = BOOM!
I have a dry kit. this is probably why they say to put 2 step colder plugs and get rid of the platm. plugs so it runs richer. This is also why they say to run a timming retard if you have a program with timming advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
My wet kit will go in in the next couple of weeks. BMR ran a dual-stage 200-wet-shot on their 11.2 run. MDMC ran a 75-wet-shot on their 11.4 run.

I'm running 12.2 all-motor. I plan a 125-wet-shot and hope to get kicked off the track for not having a roll bar. :)

MDMC's and mine are, I believe, a Nitrous Works wet setup that injects fuel and nitrous right before the throttle body.

Padre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts