LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me start btly saying if this is the wrong category to post this, please move it.

I've been looking at gauge pods lately. Really wanting an oil pressure and voltage. Alot of the gator style pods are out of stock. So I found this.... Any one have experience with Ortiz customs? Just wondering about the fittament if so.
Screenshot_20210420-232547.png

·
It's only cosmetic...
539 Posts
I also think MAVMAN may still make one of those type of cluster gauge mounts?
Mavman has it listed on the site but no longer makes it. I wanted Mavman's because it doesn't block the dummy lights.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you only need one gauge you can very cleanly install one in the right hand side just using a holesaw, dremel, and a little epoxy for the gauge bracket.

·
It's only cosmetic...
539 Posts
thats not really true. i cant see the check engine at all without maneuvering my body
The other ones fully block some of the lights. The Mavman bezel has a curve at the back of the guage that makes the CE light visible. Maybe not from every angle, but it isn't completely blocked off. Mavman points out the feature in the product description.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
The other ones fully block some of the lights. The Mavman bezel has a curve at the back of the guage that makes the CE light visible. Maybe not from every angle, but it isn't completely blocked off. Mavman points out the feature in the product description.
yes i know i have one. its really not visible without completely moving your body, guess the fact that you can do that is the difference but i sure wouldnt count on being able to see it just driving around.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
First off let me start btly saying if this is the wrong category to post this, please move it.

I've been looking at gauge pods lately. Really wanting an oil pressure and voltage. Alot of the gator style pods are out of stock. So I found this.... Any one have experience with Ortiz customs? Just wondering about the fittament if so. View attachment 508578
I've got the single guage version on the rt side of the bezel. Perfect fit no issues. My wideband is in it.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,189 Posts
They're out of California and spoke broken English. Their products are pretty cheap quality and cookie cutterish from what I've gathered.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Spoke perfectly good english when I ordered mine, and quality is very good. nice and solid, looks factory.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,189 Posts
Spoke perfectly good english when I ordered mine, and quality is very good. nice and solid, looks factory.
Pics?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Summit sells a steering column gauge pod.
Last time I visited Hawks Motorsports, they had a dual pod that looked like a two gauge pod that sits on upper part of dash bezel.
Also have seen people mod the dash bezel - to get gauges seen more easily.
An Italian guy put pods on air bag cover - this was filled with liquid and weighted so that when wheel was turned gauges stayed vertical.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
No offense to those who bought one but they look like garbage.
Some of his dual pods look like Marty Feldman's eyes, if you're old enough to remember him.

Back in the day, I made at least 2 dozen of both single and dual speedo pods.
I think I was charging around $250 for a dual and mine were painted to match the stock interior (there are probably some of my for sale threads still around).
Ortiz makes his as quick, easy and cheaply as he can and it shows.
The dual pods look like he used straight pvc pipe and they just dead end whereas the single looks like he used an elbow.
You should buy a bezel and try your hand at it, you really can't do any worse than Ortiz.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
No offense to those who bought one but they look like garbage.
Some of his dual pods look like Marty Feldman's eyes, if you're old enough to remember him.
View attachment 508754
Back in the day, I made at least 2 dozen of both single and dual speedo pods.
I think I was charging around $250 for a dual and mine were painted to match the stock interior (there are probably some of my for sale threads still around).
Ortiz makes his as quick, easy and cheaply as he can and it shows.
The dual pods look like he used straight pvc pipe and they just dead end whereas the single looks like he used an elbow.
You should buy a bezel and try your hand at it, you really can't do any worse than Ortiz.
funny, the one I bought doesn't look like crap. maybe you got butthurt because he sells a lot and you didn't?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
funny, the one I bought doesn't look like crap. maybe you got butthurt because he sells a lot and you didn't?
Actually, I didn't say they looked like crap, I said garbage.
I made mine in my spare time and wasn't trying to make a business of it that's why mine were built and looked light-years ahead of his.
Maybe you're "butthurt" because you overpaid for yours?
BTW, there's no way you can honestly say those things look stock.

To the OP, he uses an original bezel so theoretically it should fit with no problems.

Just in case I was wrong about his pods, I did a quick Google search and found 12 written reviews.
Overall 2 stars and one of the 5 star reviews is from Carlos Ortiz, lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts