LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Actually, I didn't say they looked like crap, I said garbage.
I made mine in my spare time and wasn't trying to make a business of it that's why mine were built and looked light-years ahead of his.
Maybe you're "butthurt" because you overpaid for yours?
BTW, there's no way you can honestly say those things look stock.

To the OP, he uses an original bezel so theoretically it should fit with no problems.

Just in case I was wrong about his pods, I did a quick Google search and found 12 written reviews.
Overall 2 stars and one of the 5 star reviews is from Carlos Ortiz, lol.
Overpaid? Not even close. Your anger because someone beat you to the gate is overwhelming. Slandering them because you have an issue with them is childish at best.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,189 Posts
Nooe, that's the Ortiz single pod bezel. Still have the factory one in a box put away
Not a fan at all. I'd rather have it made from factory material. To each their own.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,189 Posts
Actually, I didn't say they looked like crap, I said garbage.
I made mine in my spare time and wasn't trying to make a business of it that's why mine were built and looked light-years ahead of his.
Maybe you're "butthurt" because you overpaid for yours?
BTW, there's no way you can honestly say those things look stock.

To the OP, he uses an original bezel so theoretically it should fit with no problems.

Just in case I was wrong about his pods, I did a quick Google search and found 12 written reviews.
Overall 2 stars and one of the 5 star reviews is from Carlos Ortiz, lol.
Lmao. You know it's bad when you have to write a review for your own products.

Reactions: blackgtos

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
427 Posts
I haven't seen them in person, but I do see some posts by people on the FB forums who aren't overly happy with them.

I would STRONGLY suggest you try to make your own. It isn't really that hard to do...unless you're like me and constantly change your build. I began making my own a few years back. I was about to finish it, when I blew the motor. Making custom parts got put off and I wanted to get my car back on the road. After an engine rebuild, my ECM took a dump, causing my cylinder #4 to pre/post detonate. I blew the motor a second time and thats when I went nits with the build.

I feel mine looks a lot better than that Ortiz pod (plus I spliced in some Aussie bits for the cupholders). Since the inception of this gauge pod, the car went from a N/A 364 to a 418 with an independantly driven LS9. As things changed, so did this gauge pod.

After I decided to go boosted, I needed more gauges (all color matched Mavman). I thought about a quad pod, but it looked like...well...it was BAD.

Then I had another idea and imported this:

This is where I was at about a year ago. I've since decided I was going to try my hand and 2-tone skin it with carbon fiber (Composite Creations 2x2 Twill infused with aluminum for the outside where it's painted silver and 2x2 twill in black in the centers). Thus far, I have 18 hours in this one piece.

Since I took these pictures, I have given it a skim coat of bondo, sanded them extensively and primed it. There is a TON of work left to do...especially if I decide to skin it with carbon fiber. I tried skinning some parts for my daily, and they did not turn out so good. The carbon fiber itself looks amazing, but I screwed up when applying the clear resin. I may just do the black center in CF and forgo the aluminized CF for the outside area (but I think the 2-tone would look incredible).

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I haven't seen them in person, but I do see some posts by people on the FB forums who aren't overly happy with them.

I would STRONGLY suggest you try to make your own. It isn't really that hard to do...unless you're like me and constantly change your build. I began making my own a few years back. I was about to finish it, when I blew the motor. Making custom parts got put off and I wanted to get my car back on the road. After an engine rebuild, my ECM took a dump, causing my cylinder #4 to pre/post detonate. I blew the motor a second time and thats when I went nits with the build.

I feel mine looks a lot better than that Ortiz pod (plus I spliced in some Aussie bits for the cupholders). Since the inception of this gauge pod, the car went from a N/A 364 to a 418 with an independantly driven LS9. As things changed, so did this gauge pod.

View attachment 508789

After I decided to go boosted, I needed more gauges (all color matched Mavman). I thought about a quad pod, but it looked like...well...it was BAD.

View attachment 508790

View attachment 508791

This is where I was at about a year ago. I've since decided I was going to try my hand and 2-tone skin it with carbon fiber (Composite Creations 2x2 Twill infused with aluminum for the outside where it's painted silver and 2x2 twill in black in the centers). Thus far, I have 18 hours in this one piece.

View attachment 508792

View attachment 508793

View attachment 508795

Since I took these pictures, I have given it a skim coat of bondo, sanded them extensively and primed it. There is a TON of work left to do...especially if I decide to skin it with carbon fiber. I tried skinning some parts for my daily, and they did not turn out so good. The carbon fiber itself looks amazing, but I screwed up when applying the clear resin. I may just do the black center in CF and forgo the aluminized CF for the outside area (but I think the 2-tone would look incredible).
that looks like some work and patience, lol.

any progress on the car itself? or been on on backburner?

why the trans temp? were you auto swapping?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Complete Digital dash for me. Keeps my interior looking clean and less cluttered feeling. Gauges can be added and adjusted to preference on screen given there is a GM PID # and sending unit.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,189 Posts

View attachment 508789

View attachment 508790

View attachment 508791

View attachment 508792

View attachment 508793

View attachment 508795

Wow. Ever considered doing more of these?

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
427 Posts
that looks like some work and patience, lol.

any progress on the car itself? or been on on backburner?

why the trans temp? were you auto swapping?
Basically, everything in my life has been on the backburner. My father isn't doing all that well. He'll be 80 this weekend, but had a stroke 5 years ago. He has been slowly getting worse for the past 2 years andneeds a LOT of attention. The time I used to use to work on my car goes towards him.

As far as the Trans. Temp., I'm putting it in because I purchased it when I was only making a dual gauge pod. Oil Pressure is necessary, but my other options were Volts and Trans. Temp. I feel the Volt Meter is a waste of time.

Since I decided to go boosted, I needed more gauges and HAD to have a Boost Gauge. I was told to get a wideband, but I'm not crazy about installing one. I know it gives you a TON of info. but I wanted gauges, not gauges and a display. Those always looked out of place to me. A few would say the A:F Ratio is a waste of money, but I like the way it looks.

Wow. Ever considered doing more of these?
I would, but it takes a LOT of time for the pods.. I did start to make a center console w/ cup holders for a friend, but that has been put on hold, as he is now haing engine issues as well.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Basically, everything in my life has been on the backburner. My father isn't doing all that well. He'll be 80 this weekend, but had a stroke 5 years ago. He has been slowly getting worse for the past 2 years andneeds a LOT of attention. The time I used to use to work on my car goes towards him.

As far as the Trans. Temp., I'm putting it in because I purchased it when I was only making a dual gauge pod. Oil Pressure is necessary, but my other options were Volts and Trans. Temp. I feel the Volt Meter is a waste of time.

Since I decided to go boosted, I needed more gauges and HAD to have a Boost Gauge. I was told to get a wideband, but I'm not crazy about installing one. I know it gives you a TON of info. but I wanted gauges, not gauges and a display. Those always looked out of place to me. A few would say the A:F Ratio is a waste of money, but I like the way it looks.

I would, but it takes a LOT of time for the pods.. I did start to make a center console w/ cup holders for a friend, but that has been put on hold, as he is now haing engine issues as well.
Well hope things stay well for ya. Hope for you to be able to finish the build.

Aem wideband is nice to have. Oil temp would be a good one instead of trans (could always use for engine instead)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts