LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name's Roy, and I'm new to the group. I've been lurking for a while and have learned quit a bit. Thanks. I'm a little surprised not to see anything on the various accelerometers/performance computers that are out there. Anyone have an opinion on them?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Welcome.
No but there's a device to measure g-force while turning (my mind isn't working this morning but I'm sure someone will help) I was considering for auto-x.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mlc said:
Welcome.
No but there's a device to measure g-force while turning (my mind isn't working this morning but I'm sure someone will help) I was considering for auto-x.
We might be talking about the same thing. Beltronics makes one. It will measure G-forces for turning, braking and accelerating. Based on acceleration, it can give you things like 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Then, if you enter vehicle weight, it will calculate rwhp. I already sprung for one, but haven't had much time to play with it yet. I've done a couple timed runs with the best 0-60 of 5.37 which seems right. But was curious if anyone else with more experience with them had any opinions as to whether or not they are relatively accurate, or at least consistant in their readings.

Thanks.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
sroyj said:
We might be talking about the same thing. Beltronics makes one. It will measure G-forces for turning, braking and accelerating. Based on acceleration, it can give you things like 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Then, if you enter vehicle weight, it will calculate rwhp. I already sprung for one, but haven't had much time to play with it yet. I've done a couple timed runs with the best 0-60 of 5.37 which seems right. But was curious if anyone else with more experience with them had any opinions as to whether or not they are relatively accurate, or at least consistant in their readings.

Thanks.
Did you get the FX1 or the FX2? I have long been looking at the G-Tech Competition meter (link here). They are generally considered accurate but of course nothing beats a drag strip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phobos512 said:
Did you get the FX1 or the FX2? I have long been looking at the G-Tech Competition meter (link here). They are generally considered accurate but of course nothing beats a drag strip.
I got the FX1. The specs are supposed to be the same between them with the added feature on the FX2 that allows for downloading the data, which I wasn't concerned with. That GTech looks sweet. I hadn't seen that one before I bought. I found a dealer with the FX1 for $94, so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. Maybe I'll get a chance to play with it more over this weekend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mlc said:
Welcome.
I have the MaxQData one, that can also plug into the OBD port to log data, and also take a GPS feed to correlate it all. Pretty neat, but haven't got the OBD collection bit working yet.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
I got one from Tazzo Motorsports. Measures 60ft,0-60,1/8,1/4,60-0,lateral g's,& rwhp. I'm not sure how accurate it is because I've never taken it to a track, but if I did I could calibrate it with the times I got so it would be dead on. The main reason I got it was to see what difference each mod makes.

just for reference my bro-in-laws 04 stang with exhaust, CAI, & 75mm TB ran a 14.71 and my goat stock ran 14.1 with identical 60ft times on the same day, same time. So it seems to be consistent, but maybe a little pesimistic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
first results from the Bel

Gravana Jim said:
I use the G-Tech Pro and love it! I will have to try the Bel.

Jim
I'll post my impressions of the Bel when I have more time to play with it....hopefully this weekend.

UPDATE:
I got bored and went out and did some runs tonight. 0-60s were very consistant and all hovered around 5.6 sec, which I can live with for now. What is curious is the peak rwhp which was also consistant around 220! It is a warm, muggy night and I am only running a 88 or 89 octane gas so, could these numbers be right? I dunno. More testing may shed some light.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
These units can cost a lot and I'm trying to justify buying one. Can you guys tell me why you bought one and what your finding it usefull for?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought it for practice launches. Also did a head to head at the dragstrip. GTECH readings were within 2 - 5 hundreds of a second. will probably sell it in the next month if anyone is interested. Tried the Passport accelarometer to, worked ok but can't download to computer and its display was not briight enough in sunshine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mlc said:
These units can cost a lot and I'm trying to justify buying one. Can you guys tell me why you bought one and what your finding it usefull for?
My initial reason for wanting one was to be able to "see" the affect (in rwhp)to mods as I did them. But timing runs with it is interesting too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
mlc said:
MLC- I purchased my G-Tech Pro inorder to retire my SOP Meter (Seat of Pants). Additionally, it helps to gauge how close (or far) I am from true dyno numbers when testing products.

For example, our GTO exhaust system felt like it was making good horsepower. I was guessing 15-20HP. But the G-Tech estimated just over 10HP. Then, on the dyno, we saw 8-9RWHP, which backed up the G-Tech numbers. It also told us not to bother making a 10HP Exhaust System, when there are already bigger names out there at that level of gain.

I paid @ $100 for mine. You can buy them on eBay (New) for @ $50 now that the new G-Tech Pro Comp is out.

Jim

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Has anyone used these for auto-x? Would it be useful to measure g-force in cornering so you can check handeling mods to the car.

Jim,
You didn't get the g-tech pro competition then? price for that unit is $250, so can the g-tech pro be used for auto-x?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used mine when I went down to MidOhio, not quite auto-x, but road course, and I can see that it would be useful to check mods, as well as comparing runs on the same day.

·
Registered
588 Posts
mlc said:
Has anyone used these for auto-x? Would it be useful to measure g-force in cornering so you can check handeling mods to the car.

Jim,
You didn't get the g-tech pro competition then? price for that unit is $250, so can the g-tech pro be used for auto-x?
Mine is not the Comp version. It looks more like a radar detector. It does measure Gs and should be of some value for Auto-X. I truly wish I had waited and purchased something with a screen...

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
sroyj said:
I'll post my impressions of the Bel when I have more time to play with it....hopefully this weekend.

UPDATE:
I got bored and went out and did some runs tonight. 0-60s were very consistant and all hovered around 5.6 sec, which I can live with for now. What is curious is the peak rwhp which was also consistant around 220! It is a warm, muggy night and I am only running a 88 or 89 octane gas so, could these numbers be right? I dunno. More testing may shed some light.
IMHO, probably right. You need to feed her better. I run 93 octane, and the recommended minimum is 91. It probably is causing some spark retard, costing you power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Old Goat said:
IMHO, probably right. You need to feed her better. I run 93 octane, and the recommended minimum is 91. It probably is causing some spark retard, costing you power.
I put some better gas in her today, Sunoco 93. I was getting better times 5.37, 5.32 and 231rwhp, 248 rwhp. Better, but still not right. It doesn't add up that the times could be so good but hp so bad. I'm not sure what to believe yet.

If the engine is in KR. How soon will it come out after better gas is added? Once the 'bad' gas is out of the lines? Would the engine need to be turned off and on a couple times?

I'm serious leaning towards getting a Predator, CIA, t-stat, and then seeing what the Bel says and maybe look into getting onto a dyno at that time. Can anyone tell me what a typical charge is to do 3-4 runs on a dyno?

Anybody know of any 1/4 mile strips within an hour or two or the Boston/Providence area?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts