LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Tire Rack and did some reading about these tires. They seem to be pretty good for the money, but I had never heard of them before. The reason I decided to look them up was because I saw a set on an Acura RSX at work. I thought the tread pattern looked pretty good, so I decided to check them out. I am leaning towards a summer type tire that can also be used for occasional track use. Only other stipulation is that the car will be driven in the rain and I don't want a tire that has too much road noise. I am looking for something in a 17 inch size with a width of between 245 and 275. Any other thoughts?

Cheers!!!

~MattS

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I don't know about the MX, but the Ecsta Supra is pretty popular with the import crowd.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Some ZO6 guys i've heard on the net love them as a budget approach to tires instead of the $$$$ GY F1SC that are OE. Supposidly just as good, has the best speed rating you can get and a tread wear that shows these are sticky.

I would consider them. Just no wet application for these.

·
Si vis pacem, paro bellum
761 Posts
i currently have the kumho ecsta 712's (i think it is) on my eclipse. i've really enjoyed them so far. had some yokohama's before that and these are definitely an improvement over those.
mike

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Comparison

Hollywood said:
i currently have the kumho ecsta 712's (i think it is) on my eclipse. i've really enjoyed them so far. had some yokohama's before that and these are definitely an improvement over those.
mike
I have no experience with them, but I do the BFG T/A KD's. How would they compare? The KD's are the cat's a** on my S-10, they really brought the handling alive (with a decent amount of other suspension work), and I have gotten very decent wear out of them too. The price and availability of the KD's were very attractive too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was going to get me a set of these until the shortly sold out in Aus, nice tread pattern and reviews from Tire Rack, awesome price I was offered too, $200 per corner

·
SURFGZR
41 Posts
MattSaint said:
Thanks for the input guys, anyone else?
Just installed a set of Kumho MX's and ran them about 100 miles. They seem to stick great in the dry, which is about all we have here in SoCal.

Don't plan on much drag strip action, more likely just recreational twisty two-lane canyon roads. Think they will be ideal.

BTW - Pulled the BFG-KWDS tires and put them on my wife's Lincoln LS. That's where they belong; on a four door touring sedan.

Happy all the way around with the swap.

Check out these test results if you are interested.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/max_perf_charts.jsp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the Falken Azenis Rt-615 in size 245/45/17 about a month ago. Really happy with it. Tons better than the stock BFG's. The sidewalls feel as stiff as my old Michelin Pilot SX MXX3. Also, the tread is great for dry (lots of traction), but its only 'OK' for wet conditions.

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had Kumho MX tires before. lasted me 6,000 miles, included about 5 track days. great in the dry, but not so good in the wet. It is not as sticky as Azenis, but don't heat up a much as Azenis. Azenis are great for auto-x, but MX is better for road track. I loved them.

note MX and Azenis are not really street tires, they are closer to r-compound tires as can be. they don't work well in wet, and is pretty loud.

MX did well last year in auto-x, for street tired class. where R-compound were not allowed.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
I had a pair of 295/35/18's on my SS when I owned that, and they hooked nicely in the dry. They werent to great in the wet....almost wrecked the damn thing on the highway in light rain becuase they hidroplained so bad, and they only lasted about 6 or so thousand miles. I dont think Ill even consider buying them again, but they were pretty good for the money.

·
Former GTO Owner
225 Posts
I've got them in 275 40 18 front and 295 35 18 rear on my T/A. I think they're a great tire for the money. Can't say much for the hydroplaning issue others have mentioned because I don't drive the T/A much in the wet. Based on my experience, I'd recommend them.

·
F-body owner
1,437 Posts
I had a set of the MX's on my WRX, and they handled and wore very nicely for me. Didn't hydroplane in the wet that I noticed, and traction was good for cornering. AWD hid any deficiencies they may have had in wet acceleration, however. When it came time to trade the car in, and I put the stock exhaust back on, I soon became aware of how noisy the tires were. So the tire noise was acceptable if the exhaust is loud, but if you are stock, you may well likely notice the tires humming. I liked them enough to put another set on my Firehawk (275/35/18 in front, and 295/35/18 out back).

Good tire for the money, IMO

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I loved them on my SHO. No problem in the rain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have them, they are pretty decent tires. They stick very well on the street when dry and work just as well in the rain.
The only problem I have with them is: during the winter days, they get cold and kind of hard, the front tires shake a bit and makes the steering wheel shimmy. It's not a balance issue. Once they get warm, they are very smooth and quiet.
btw, I can warm them up a bit at the track, with a small burn out, no smoke, just enough to clean them off and they bite very well for a street tire.

good luck,
allen

·
yeah, its paid for
1,483 Posts
I was looking into the MX's as well. They're really cheap on Ebay right now. Has anyone done a staggered set up with this tires cause the 275 is almost .5" wider than the Toyo's and Nittos? Worried about rubbing as usual.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ddawson said:
I loved them on my SHO. No problem in the rain.

I like but who's SVT tour is that next to your SHO?

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Had em on both my Evo VIII and Mini Cooper S. Very good daily drivers, not quite as sticky as Azenis but more sociable for daily use. They should work better on the GTO than the Azenis, which only lasted me 2 autocross events and roughly 2K miles when I initially had them on the GTO last year. Heavier car equals more heat, MX's handle heat better than Azenis.

·
Sold!!
281 Posts
I had Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712s on my Formula when I bought it... I took them off. I have them on my Trans Am right now, and I'm planning on taking them off as well. 275/40/17s on both. I do not like them... the only reason they're on my cars is because the previous owner chose them.

I live in Seattle and deal with rain on a constant basis, and my opinion is that these tires suck for rain driving. I've put my Firebirds sideways in the rain more times than I care to count. On a FWD or AWD car, you probably wouldn't notice, but on a 350 hp RWD car, you definitely do.

Were I to choose a tire today, my choice would be Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. More expensive, but a much better rain tire, and probably the best choice available since Firestone stopped making SZ-50s.

·
F-body owner
1,437 Posts
DrEvyl said:
I had Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712s on my Formula when I bought it... I took them off. I have them on my Trans Am right now, and I'm planning on taking them off as well.
I've had 712's on my Firehawk before, and they are nothing like the MX's...

That's like someone asking what someone thinks about the GTO, and then chiming in about how crappy a Pontiac Grand Am was that they used to own... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts