LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
da slow kid of the bunch
3,885 Posts
I'm not a real fan of the shocks, but I might have to try them out some time.
What I need are few more 6sp cars to step up so we could share some data.. I would like to see a few of the more serious suspension set up's that have been well tested, when I say well tested that would be over 150 passes and under 1.69 60's please

I'm used to my ford days when I would get parts sent to me to test just so I could GIVE feed back, now I'm needing some feed back LOL....

·
king of the castle....
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, good input. Thats why I asked ya to chime in! I am a LITTLE newer to rear wheel perf than most here. I loved the koni's on my front drivers and I figured the bushings cant really go wrong so its all about how well the shocks match the spring rate I guess. Anybody else? Opinions wanted.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
I don't have this. I don't drag race my car. But I have been reading up on suspension physics and taking a bunch of test rides lately.

Here is my two cents.

For optimal launch, especially as your motor mods add up, you will probably still need/want drag bags for launch.

However, when it is time to drive home on the street, the Yellow Koni somewhere between half and full stiffness should be a decent match for the Pedder's OE height spring.

Everyone should replace there rear X-member bushings. Some just haven't yet.

So if you are trailering your GTO to the track you can probably skip this and look at picking up HAL QA1s and drag bags from either Midwest or BMR that I know of.

If your GTO is street/strip the kit is probably not a bad idea. $540 is a realistic price, 780 is just some number. Install on the shocks and springs is probably a couple hours. The X-member bushes require opening the rear cradle and that can of worms.

Also, bumping the rear spring rate about 40% and leaving the front springs stock is going to effect the cornering ability of the car. From the factory our cars come with a ~relatively~ soft rear supension and a ~relatively~ firm from suspension. So biased in softness to the rear. Good for controlability in the hands of soccer moms, too soft overall for the road course, and backwards for good launch on the drag strip.

The short version is this kit might be enough spring to make the car spin around and around very easily in the rain. Very easily.

You guys might drop a PM to Justice Pete and ask him to weigh in. He doesn't sell Koni, though he does respect Koni. I would also mention Justice Pete is opposed to running drag bags on the street and so am I. Shocks and springs sort of wear out over time and you can kind of see it coming. Sooner or later a drag bag is going to pop and someone is going to find the handling characteristics of their car change dramatically and instantly.

M2c,
S

·
king of the castle....
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replys! swmn, you even took it the direction I wanted to and answered how it may work with leaving the factory fronts alone. I dont have enough cash in my car fund to do the whole suspension upgrade. Im more thinking just some radius rod, x member bushings, and cradle alignment for this fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts