LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my buddy's spice red 2006 GTO earlier this week to build his turbo kit. I could post a build thread on it with pics and stuff if enough people are interested. It takes me extra time and effort to do this and I dont mind if you guys want me to.....but if its just gonna be a dead thread....then I wont bother. I did pick up a nice little plasma cutter to make building the manifold go much faster. Cutting holes in the log for the primary tubes is a bitch. and costs me two diablo carbide holesaws. so a plasma should make short work of it. If theres interest, I'll do it.

·
1 of 40,757
6,387 Posts
I know you know what you're doing but - What material?
I've used HSS holesaws over and over cutting stainless sheet. Just have to go very slow to keep the heat down.

I'd like to see a thread but other than being a cheerleader peanut gallery, not much help to you.

·
Super Moderator
11,960 Posts
I am on board with this plan.

While I have the knowledge and skill to build a turbo kit I am no tig welder. My kit would be more akin to Cleetus McFarland cobbled together mig welded kit lol.

If you want to really hog up your time you should try the YouTube thing. I've dabbled in it and man is it a time hog.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used HSS holesaws over and over cutting stainless sheet. Just have to go very slow to keep the heat down.

I'd like to see a thread but other than being a cheerleader peanut gallery, not much help to you.
Schedule10 stainless. Its over 1/8" thick. HSS definitely wont like it. I use a carbide tipped diablo and IIRC 150rpms in my drill press with lots of lube. I bought a plasma cutter just for this. Its found other uses too. I'm amazed at how easily it cuts through stuff. No sense in even trying to use a hole saw now, i'll be able to zip the holes out in seconds instead od like 30 minutes a hole. eff that.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am on board with this plan.

While I have the knowledge and skill to build a turbo kit I am no tig welder. My kit would be more akin to Cleetus McFarland cobbled together mig welded kit lol.

If you want to really hog up your time you should try the YouTube thing. I've dabbled in it and man is it a time hog.
I wish I would have never sold my mig welder. I'm gonna have to get another one....it would really make this project go way faster.

I thought about the youtube thing, but I really dont have time for it. I should though.

·
1 of 40,757
6,387 Posts
It will go through any thickness just have to go SSLLOOWW and both the saw and the material you're cutting has to be held RIGID.
In some cases we modify the hole saw to be held in a collet.

HSS hole saws in stainless steel will work.

[Edit] It's probably holding the parts thats beating you. When I do it its done in a mill or lathe.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.150 thick SS with a HSS hole saw from a hardware store.

View attachment 502262
Flat is easy. I’m cutting into a thick round tube. Half the teeth aren’t touching and when they suddenly do, it’s hard on it. Cutting stuff with gaps is better done at high speed but I can’t because it burns the blade up. Trust me, I tried numerous things/ways/milling bits/hole saw blades and I’ve worked for a few fab shops so I have a little experience....I’ve tried it in my milk and I have a large JET drill press that goes very low rpm. This stuff is hard to cut. If it were flat, the teeth wouldn’t constantly be loaded and unloaded and would be cake with a diablo carbide.

·
Registered
308 Posts

interested in well but just to see how you do it. dont have any insight or experience building a kit

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm down for another thread. Hell text me one day and I'll come help (watch lol).
Sounds good. gotta move my RV so I can pull the car in my shop to get started on it, this weekend.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will go through any thickness just have to go SSLLOOWW and both the saw and the material you're cutting has to be held RIGID.
In some cases we modify the hole saw to be held in a collet.

HSS hole saws in stainless steel will work.

[Edit] It's probably holding the parts thats beating you. When I do it its done in a mill or lathe.
Thats not it unfortunately. I built that fixture out of .250 plate, its super rigid. Whats not shown is how I clamp it in the fixture, stuff doesnt move. my drill press is an old heavy duty JET professional unit thats about 6ft tall, it has a lower speed than my mill. My mill burns the bit up quickly because I think the lowest rpm i have is 500 iirc. Its ok tho, I no longer have to worry with all that, the plasma will slice through it like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
527 Posts
We've had contractors at work use plasma cutters to chop up old equipment (valves and expansion joints) that were up to an inch thick of cast steel, along with cutting structural steel. Makes the job go a lot faster and easier.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've had contractors at work use plasma cutters to chop up old equipment (valves and expansion joints) that were up to an inch thick of cast steel, along with cutting structural steel. Makes the job go a lot faster and easier.
Yea, I cut up the loudmouth exhaust I had on it and it cut it faster than i could move in a circle around the pipe.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok fellas, I went ahead and posted a thread. heres the link to make it easy

·
Registered
868 Posts
Kfx- what plasma cutter did you get? My go-to HF lists one for about $700 that’s good for 1/2” then I found one on amazon for under $300 that appeared to be better with good feedback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts