LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
2004 GTO IBM/Blue m6
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered replacement silver caps for their lug nuts? I noticed I was missing one today. When I went to the dealer to order some, he couldn't find them in the computer at first and then he tells me they're $15 each :slap: WTF??? I think he got the part number wrong or something. I'll take them ALL off before I pay that. If anyone has the part number for these I would appreciate it. I'm talking about the plastic silver lug nut caps that screw over the lugs. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Those nut caps are a big concern for me. I did my first tire rotation myself this last week and i was down right blow away with how close the tolerances are on the wheels. I had to kick the tires and million times to get them to fall off the hub. As for the caps i expected the typical screw on that my TA had. Wrong ! I'm sure glad i didn't try to twist these off or i would have broke them.

Came home from work and was missing one.....bottom of the driveway thank god. I wouldn't be surprised if these are stupid expensive to replace. THey are just push on friction fit, how can these things stay on ?

I haven't looked into price but 15 bucks a pop seems way wrong to me. Problem is that could be right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lug Nut Caps . . .

MI_WS6 said:
Has anyone ordered replacement silver caps for their lug nuts? I noticed I was missing one today. When I went to the dealer to order some, he couldn't find them in the computer at first and then he tells me they're $15 each :slap: WTF??? I think he got the part number wrong or something. I'll take them ALL off before I pay that. If anyone has the part number for these I would appreciate it. I'm talking about the plastic silver lug nut caps that screw over the lugs. Thanks.
Lug Nut Caps are good for about two removals. Removal one was when I painted brake calipers. At 5600 miles took car in for 6000 check-up. Tires were rotated. Mechanic took car for test drive and lost three caps. Dealer ordered a complete set (20) and found out they are $11.00 each. Dealer then replaced the three that were lost and the trick is to use silicon to hold the cap in place. Pontiac has the same problem on the Grand Prix caps. A touch of silicon will hold the caps in place.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chrome Lug Nuts Are Best!

MI_WS6 said:
Hey Hey! Go To your local tire shop and get some chrome lug nuts, they look better and make your wheels look more expensive! I got some and put them on before I left the dealer I also put on chrome valve stem sleeves and chrome valve stem caps and man I'm tellin ya that all the sales folks and the mech said right on! Besides it is less than the price of those cheap looking plastic lug nut covers. The lug nuts were a buck ea and the chrome valve stem sleeve/cap package was 5 bucks! trust me , it will give your wheels a look that is Right On!! That is my 13 cents reply!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What type of silicon are you talking about? I'm assuming silicon caulk.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Here's another possibility that I test fitted but did not do the last time I had the wheels off.

Go purchase the lugnuts for a Camaro/Trans Am that has outside threading on the lug. Then purchase the decorative plastic caps for it, the screw on. You'll never lose them (unless you don't snug them enough) and they're easier to take on and off then trying to find that goofy little fuse puller style tool.

My old silver screw on caps from the Camaro were too dirty, otherwise, I'd have converted it right then and there. I test fitted some old lugs from the Camaro and it worked.

You can also get the lugs and covers at SLP's website. Probably cheaper than at GM too.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Here's another possibility that I test fitted but did not do the last time I had the wheels off.

Go purchase the lugnuts for a Camaro/Trans Am that has outside threading on the lug. Then purchase the decorative plastic caps for it, the screw on. You'll never lose them (unless you don't snug them enough) and they're easier to take on and off then trying to find that goofy little fuse puller style tool.

My old silver screw on caps from the Camaro were too dirty, otherwise, I'd have converted it right then and there. I test fitted some old lugs from the Camaro and it worked.

You can also get the lugs and covers at SLP's website. Probably cheaper than at GM too.
I was wondering if those would work. Seems like they'd be alot better. Glad to know they work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
MI_WS6 said:
Hi MI_WS6,
I just read all of the treads and no one gave you the part number for the caps, so here it is 92115769.
Over in Aus, the price of the cap is under $1 (Au) each.

Aussiefan.

·
ls1goat
96 Posts
I am a counterman at a chevy dealership and have had to replace 1 on mine. The part # is 92115769 and the list price is $14.38!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some numb nuts at the dealer spun off and broke a couple of mine. They didn't bother telling me though just put the broken caps back on. Ordered and replaced the first one. $15. before I discovered the other two. Took it back and they replaced the other two and reimbursed me for the one I had already replaced.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
GMPARTSDIRECT.com

$43.90

Out the door.

GM Part # *92115769
Category Front and Rear Wheel Lug Nut Cap
Description CAP
Pack Qty 5
Unit Price $7.19
Total Quantity Ordered 5
Ext. Price $35.95
YOU SAVE $25.05
Core Charge $0.00
S&H Approx $7.95

TOTAL $43.90
Non-NC Residents Total: $43.90
Sales Tax (NC Only): $2.52
NC Residents Total:
$46.42

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

SLP sells sets for about $20 in your choice of silver, black or chrome covers (chrome might be a few dollars more).

I personally have a set of lugs that I had laying around from my 99 GTP. I put them and the screw on black caps on after I mistakenly spun an OEM one off too.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=82557&BIG=82557-1

I was thinking about getting a set of the silver ones but I am not sure if that color would match.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
Do those fit our wheels?
Yeah they should, they are the same generic caps that I used from my GTP only in black. I just ordered a set in silver and will let you know for sure as soon as they get here.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I just got my silver set from SLP today. They are a shade or two darker than the wheel but it looks really good. Its a good match as well as a nice subtle contrast but not as obtrusive as the black ones I had on there. I like them a lot. I will get some pics up as soon as I can tomorrow.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I just got some nice acorn lug nuts at the parts store for a few bucks. They look great.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts