LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SOLD-04 & 06 Torrid Red GTO's
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone put in the XM Commander themselves as I am trying to determine if I need extra components to get it to work with the stock radio. Thanks and take care.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I went with the Delphi Roady that I mounted on the center console in the space next to the cup holders and behind the window switches - fits perfectly and looks nice. I used the wireless FM modulator that plugs into the lighter and is received on an FM channel. I didn't want to mess with the factory stereo, so this works well, though I may try to hardwire it to power to cut down on the wiring and free up my lighter for my cellphone.

I also placed the micro antenna inside, next to the back speakers, and reception is fine. That way I didn't have to try to run the wire through the seats or body panels and mount it outside.

But this is one of my disappointments with the Goat - my GMC truck came with XM installed and I didn't have to go aftermarket.

·
HSV GTO
762 Posts
i am doing it right know not to hard at all it is pretty easy. Still tring to find the antenna wire in the back of the radio once i find that and route the antenna i am done. I already have the unit mounted in the cubby in front of the shifter it fits perfect and looks factory.I cant wait to get it back i just got my gto a week ago had the skifi unit in my grandprix and its to big for the gto so i got the commander.

steve

399 miles and counting :gr_jest:

·
Former Owner but Still Here
451 Posts
I have Sirius, but same thing.... With the wireless FM modulator, do you guys get good reception? I've tried all the frequencies between 88.1 and 94.9 and they are all staticy. My old unit in my Acura was an inline (antenna) FM Modulator that worked a lot better.

Anyone have any reception issues with the FM modulator? The stock head unit doesn't have an AUX Input does it?

·
HSV GTO
762 Posts
i am done installing it it was pretty easy mounted the antenna in the back window and it works great glad to have it back. Its hard to belive you can miss it that much but i did. it is the best thing to get regular radio sucks.
the commander is a nice unit it is a clean install it looks factory i highly recomand one if your looking for xm for your gto.

steve :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts