LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Living the dream!
4,800 Posts
On all of my silicone/rubber key fob buttons, I apply a small amount of 303 Aerospace Protectant to them about 2x's per year. Helps protect them against UV and the automotive gunk that sometimes gets on my hands and fingers. It may not make the elasticity of buttons last forever, but it does help with longevity.

·
Is that FWD?
1,014 Posts
I bought a whole new OEM key fob of ebay and re-programmed it in Oct.

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO OEM Genuine GM Key FOB Remote Transmitter 92123129

It was like $55, works perfectly.

·
Goats eat everything
327 Posts
Dont waste ur time with replacement buttons. PITA. OE buttons have residual adhesive that doesn't allow new buttons to seat correctly... or they're slightly wrong size. Either way I was not impressed with them. Wouldn't recommend to attempt unless u have a spare key. After a few weeks I and got a new fob. Long overdue and was money well spent. It "felt" great and was super easy, albeit time consuming, to sync.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought an OEM replacement on eBay and it worked great the rest of the time I had my GTO. At the same time I took apart my original remote, soldered in a replacement battery, and stuck it in a new aftermarket case. Not only did the case not stay together properly, the whole thing stopped working after a couple months. I never even bothered to have the new key blank cut.

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
I bought a replacement shell and uncut key from Amazon for like $10. The PITA was opening up the old fob, but everything fit fine. I just have to get the key itself cut, fob is already programmed and still works.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a replacement shell and uncut key from Amazon for like $10. The PITA was opening up the old fob, but everything fit fine. I just have to get the key itself cut, fob is already programmed and still works.
I bought a 2 pack shell a few years ago. None of the keys fit snugly. Stock or the replacement blanks. I had to fill the gap with tin foil to help make a solid connection so I could start the car. With all the fiddling trying to get one to work right, one of the tiny ass screws stripped. They're like half the size of the stock ones. This year I tried to use the other shell, but it was a bad mold and the little metal nub wouldn't fit. Had to dremel it to give it the clearance it needed. Put it together and the buttons didn't line up right, so only the unlock button worked.

I got my OEM one off of ebay and it was delivered Saturday morning. Glad I kept what was left of my original fob since the new one didn't have screws. Programmed and all is good again. I don't know how anyone can pull apart a stock one without ruining it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts