LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Goat up to change the oil and was taking another look at the stock cats-back before making a mod decision. I noticed that the driver side muffler heat shield is a solid piece , while the passenger side is different material and of less quality. The driver side muffler heat shield can not be bent by hand while the left side is very easy to "mold" by hand.

As many owners have complained of passenger side "rattles" - I can see why. This exhaust heat shield at least needs another fastener at each end above the muffler for a better secure fit. I have read of some owners removing it for the noise "fix". I'd rather not remove it without a replacement heat shield.

So - this leads to my title : Has anyone used an aftermarket product to replace the passenger side muffler heat shield ? I have searched the Forum and found problems but no mentions of a replacement product. I looked outside the Forum and the closest thing to a quality product is heatshieldproducts.com . Yet their site has lots of different options.

Kinda looking for guidance and/or other owners efforts to better solve the muffler heat shield lack of quality... Thanks for any input... :)

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I have a Thermotec heatshield on mine. The OEM unit looked like some kitchen pan so i didn't by one for my 04.

Works fine from what I can tell.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What about the heat shield film people are using on their intakes? I'm sure you could stick a layer or two to the underside of the car after removing the stock heat shield.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I removed both heat shields almost two years ago...no problems yet. I still don't understand why they are made of different material. Maybe the Aussies were getting rid of some old parts(?)

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys ... in a strange way : Glad others have seen the lack of quality .
I've now seen the Thermo-Tec line and will probably go that way if not the
heatshieldproducts line. I want to replace it as opposed to just removing the "kitchen disposible pan" shield so that when the amps for stereo get installed there is no potential for a exhaust heat issue... :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a heat sheild for my passenger side since I am doing a 2005 bumper conversion. I guess the sheild is not even needed then right, or does it get pretty hot up there?

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
On my 04 I used the JBA Catback so the mufflers are right there, VS the Borla which are in the stock location. After a few dyno pulls is was pretty hot back there.

I used the Thermo-Tec stick on shield and just covered the area just in case.

I just got done using Thermo-Tec on the LPE CAI as well.

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
If you put in straight pipes, you don't need no stinkin' heat shield.....

:gears:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts