LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to run 275/40/17 BFG DR's. I've heard "yes, they'll fit" and "no, they're too wide for the 8" rim and could be sloppy".

As usual, who's correct?

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
I ran 275.... BFG's on the stock rims with no problems. Now I have 275 Nitto DR's on the stock rims with no problems. The guy at the tire shop just said to run 35lbs. of air instead of 30. I don't have any rubbing and didn't have to have the wheel wells rolled out. They don't look too wide on the rim either but the stance is much more aggressive looking. That's just my experience with them.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wavydavy GTO said:
I ran 275.... BFG's on the stock rims with no problems. Now I have 275 Nitto DR's on the stock rims with no problems. The guy at the tire shop just said to run 35lbs. of air instead of 30. I don't have any rubbing and didn't have to have the wheel wells rolled out. They don't look too wide on the rim either but the stance is much more aggressive looking. That's just my experience with them.

Dave
Great! Thanks for the info!

Any reason you went form the BFG to the Nitto? I've run Nittos mostly but have heard from many people that the BFG is a stickier tire, although not supposed to last as long.?.?.?

·
Been here for a long time...
4,659 Posts
I had both on my WS6. BFG's went 6K before being completely bald. Nitto's went 15K before they wouldn't pass inspection. Best short time with the BFG's was 1.80. Best with the Nitto's was 1.75. This was a 6spd with 4.10 gear car.

I went with Nitto's on the TTA also. First set lasted 13K miles but a nail in the sidewall did those in. Still had plenty of tread. Best on those tires was a 1.61. That is a A4 with 3.27 gears.

Both cars were daily driven with those tires. Only once with the BFG's in the rain when they were new. Almost spun the car out as they are terrible with any moisture on the road. The Nitto's were great in everything but snow :)

I'm wondering what the new Mickey Thompson drag radials are going to be like. Same for the new BFG drag radial.

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Let me clarify, the BFG's were not DR's, they were the same as the stock tires only wider. I picked the Nitto over the BFG DR for a couple of reasons: Living in Florida we have so much rain and I heard from several folks who have had both that the Nitto has better wet traction for everyday driving. The Nitto's also seem to last much longer than the BFG's so they are cheaper over the long haul. My neighbor got 20k miles from his last set of Nitto's while going to the track 3-4 times a months. You just HAVE to stay on top of the tire pressure and make sure you don't drive them low. I always stop at the first gas station when I leave the track to put air back in them.

Dave

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
Let me clarify, the BFG's were not DR's, they were the same as the stock tires only wider. I picked the Nitto over the BFG DR for a couple of reasons: Living in Florida we have so much rain and I heard from several folks who have had both that the Nitto has better wet traction for everyday driving. The Nitto's also seem to last much longer than the BFG's so they are cheaper over the long haul. My neighbor got 20k miles from his last set of Nitto's while going to the track 3-4 times a months. You just HAVE to stay on top of the tire pressure and make sure you don't drive them low. I always stop at the first gas station when I leave the track to put air back in them.

Dave
Hey wavy do you have any pics of the nittos on the car? I would like to see how they look...
thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
So as wide as 275 will fit on stock rims?

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Dbluegoat: I'll try to take some and post in a day or so.

ZillaGTO: Yeah, any wider and the rim is too narrow, plus there will be clearance issues.

Dave

·
21,898 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
Dbluegoat: I'll try to take some and post in a day or so.

Cool......thanks man.....This has been a very good thread, I am leaning towards the nitto's now since they last longer and still provide good performance.

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Here are some pics of the Nitto's.

·
21,898 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
Hey thanks Wavydavy, they look good. You still have stock tires on the front? I think I am going to get those nitto's.

:D :thumbs:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
That looks so damn cool! anybody have a price or a part number for GTO OE wheels?????? maybe it will just be cheaper to get some plain 17" wheels, tire rack now has wheels for the GTO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
for rear only right?

This thread is discussing how wide the rears back be, right? The fronts can't go wider than stock I thought.

Brian

·
21,898 Posts
briandors said:
This thread is discussing how wide the rears back be, right? The fronts can't go wider than stock I thought.

Brian
Yes we are talking about rear only.......I dont know for sure about the fronts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Nittos are generally narrower than BFGs given the same tire size. In other words, the 275 Nitto DRs will not be as wide as a 275 BFG DR. And I concur with what everyone else said, the BFGs do not last as long as the Nittos. Nittos do perform much better in the rain. But I have had great 60fts with the Nittos and have seen many Fbodies pulling 1.7x and some 1.6x short times with them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Which Nitto is that in the pics? Is it the 555?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts