LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Former GTO owner
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the tuners on this past Sarurday and my Dyno numbers were very very low. I was wondering if anyone else here was running one and also had low dyno numbers. Is there a way to check the converter without taking it out of the car?

Thanks,

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,717 Posts
I run a vig triple disk 3200 verter. I wouldn't get so caught up in the dyno man. I don't know how much I can convey that on here. This forum is starting to sound like the vette forums with damn dyno numbers. Unless you have a dyno that is calibrated for use with an aftermarket stall, your numbers will be screwed. Take a look at this straight from the horses mouth....

http://www.converter.com/whatsnew_dynamometer.htm
 

·
I...I...I got Nothin
Joined
·
961 Posts
Most people see lower numbers with a converter. Don't worry about it, the first time you romp on the gas and spin all the way through first and most of second, you'll be pretty happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
FYI, similar past mods with Patriots and Vig 3200

locked - 382
unlocked 364
 

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
Joined
·
21,898 Posts
Vig3200 Dyno and track results

Dyno
before ---->472rwhp
after ----->440rwhp

Best 60'
before ---->1.81
after ---->1.51

Who cares about the dyno.......unless you want to be the queen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Vig3200 Dyno and track results

Dyno
before ---->472rwhp
after ----->440rwhp

Best 60'
before ---->1.81
after ---->1.51

Who cares about the dyno.......unless you want to be the queen.
^^^ unfair !! :gr_devil:
 

·
yelling nonsense from balcony
Joined
·
291 Posts
My goat is M6 but I have a Vig in my fun car, it is superb!It was the 4th[yep] I tried and the only one that really worked.I love it's street manners, even at about 3600 stall, and it locks seamlessly on the highway when I want it to.I dyno'd much lower than I thought with it unlocked, and FI tuning issues prevented a locked pull that session.The#s were definately not consistent with my ETs.I wouldn't worry about dyno #s if your ETs [or street kills] show you're putting power down.Dynos are great tuning and A/F tools, but they aren't the end-all acid test, with so many factors involved.Go look at what Smitty from AZPS is doing with "500horses" on the dyno.......same style converter as me.
If you're worried about it, you can send it back for a free checkup and restall [maybe your stall rpm isn't right for your app. if actual performance is suffering]
Their service is superb, I had it in for a checkup and needed it back ASAP>I paid for next day air there but they picked up the NDA on the way back no charge when they heard my predicament.
 

·
Semper Fi
Joined
·
4,857 Posts
My numbers are lower than they've been in a LONG time since i put my new converter in. I saw that on the dyno and a part of me was bummed a little, but :) like these guys are saying... wait till you feel the difference on the street/track.

Put your car on the road....forget the dyno numbers. Just use the dyno for tuning purposes :)
 

·
Former GTO owner
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please look at the mods in my sig. That combonation in other F-body cars and LS1 Corvettes are making 400+ hp and 390's on torque. My car only made 365 hp and 351 torque. Those other guys are running the Yank 3200 converters. Either the cam wasn't degreed properly, the valves weren't lashed in correctly, or the torque converter is slipping to much. I'm trying to figure out where to start before I have it all torn down again.
 

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
Joined
·
798 Posts
probably a really dumb question but humor me....how do you know if your Torque converter is locked or unlocked?
 

·
Former GTO owner
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can only go by what the tuner tells me. At speed inc, Jim says he locks the converter on the dyno. At Val's, Phil said he locks the converters while he tunes on the dyno. I found out that my valve lash is loose. Its supposed to be 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 turns after zero lash. The tech only went 1 - 1 1/4 turns. I don't know if that will make up a 40 hp difference, I'm still waiting to hear back from Vinci High Performance on that. Now, the converter I'm running is a part# 279415 which is supposed to be 2800-3000 stall with an str of 2.53. I called Yank and they told me I should go with their 3600 stall which has a 2.5 str. Basicly it sounds like the Vigelante I have is very similar to the Yank 3600 they want to sell me. Is there a difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
mhoglund said:
I called Yank and they told me I should go with their 3600 stall which has a 2.5 str. Basicly it sounds like the Vigelante I have is very similar to the Yank 3600 they want to sell me. Is there a difference?
600 rpm is alot. without looking at your dyno sheet more stall could help if you are N/A which if i remember you are
 

·
Former GTO owner
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
mhoglund said:
Here is a copy of the dyno graph. I know there is an rpm difference, but the str numbers are almost the same betweem the two converters.
str is just how hard it can leave, if you stay N/A the more stall you give it the better it is.
 

·
Former GTO owner
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy at Yank wants me to buy the 3600 which sounds like it would be a bit much, I was thinking about something more around the lines of 3200 but if I go that route the str is lower and the car won't leave as hard, but with a higher stall, the engine will stay more in the power band of the cam through the gears which isn't a bad thing. Anyone else running a 3600 stall?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
mhoglund said:
The guy at Yank wants me to buy the 3600 which sounds like it would be a bit much, I was thinking about something more around the lines of 3200 but if I go that route the str is lower and the car won't leave as hard, but with a higher stall, the engine will stay more in the power band of the cam through the gears which isn't a bad thing. Anyone else running a 3600 stall?
you can have someone make whatever you want. i run that 3600yank and with my cam (on the bigger side or avg.) the verter is to small by 200 or 300 rpm.. a 3200 would the safe daily driver pick, a 3600 should suit your car better but most people cant drive a huge verter on the street
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
mhoglund said:
I can only go by what the tuner tells me. At speed inc, Jim says he locks the converter on the dyno. At Val's, Phil said he locks the converters while he tunes on the dyno. I found out that my valve lash is loose. Its supposed to be 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 turns after zero lash. The tech only went 1 - 1 1/4 turns. I don't know if that will make up a 40 hp difference, I'm still waiting to hear back from Vinci High Performance on that. Now, the converter I'm running is a part# 279415 which is supposed to be 2800-3000 stall with an str of 2.53. I called Yank and they told me I should go with their 3600 stall which has a 2.5 str. Basicly it sounds like the Vigelante I have is very similar to the Yank 3600 they want to sell me. Is there a difference?
I thought Vig offered 1 "free" (excluding shipping, removal and installation) re-stall to their converters. I know mine did.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top