LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finally...Back to sea!!!
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on 18" stockers in 245/40 all the way around having any rubbing? Did a search, but most people had too few miles to give an opinion. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
No mo' GTO.
3,969 Posts
Napalm has them in the 17" size. He seems to like them.

·
Finally...Back to sea!!!
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a little research and see that the Avon 235/40 18s are actually narrower (by 0.10 of an inch on the section width) than the stockers and the 245/40 18s have 0.40 of an inch in section width over the stockers. I really want to get the 245/40s, but need some feedback before I take the plunge. The tread width for the Avon 235/40 18 is 8.6 inches and the 245/40 18s is 9.1 inches. TireRack didn't have the tread width of the stockers on their website. It's sad when you have to think about tenths of inches when you go to do a plus zero uprade. It's a tight squeeze up front. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
Did a little research and see that the Avon 235/40 18s are actually narrower (by 0.10 of an inch on the section width) than the stockers and the 245/40 18s have 0.40 of an inch in section width over the stockers. I really want to get the 245/40s, but need some feedback before I take the plunge. The tread width for the Avon 235/40 18 is 8.6 inches and the 245/40 18s is 9.1 inches. TireRack didn't have the tread width of the stockers on their website. It's sad when you have to think about tenths of inches when you go to do a plus zero uprade. It's a tight squeeze up front. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

So the tread width of the Potenza is 8.7? Did you measure it or find it listed somewhere? I know someone is running the 245/45/17 Avon with no issues but the 17's have a tread width of 8.9 while the 18's are 9.1.

I've noticed that the Falken Ziex in a 255/35/18 only has a tread width of 8.8. The 255/35/18 is also about 1/3 of an inch shorter than stock. I'm assuming these would fit on all 4 corners but I've seen mixed reviews on these tires.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just re-read your post and see that you were talking about section width on the stockers. I'm curious if anyone knows the tread width?

·
Finally...Back to sea!!!
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ArtVandelay said:
I just re-read your post and see that you were talking about section width on the stockers. I'm curious if anyone knows the tread width?
I called several places and I have looked online to no avail... I was surprised to learn how many tire dealers use Tirerack as their resource for info...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts