LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here has just removed the resonators on their 04's. Kept remainder of the exhaust stock configuration. Just curious what it would sound like.
Thanks

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
crockett. if you take out the resonbators and replace with straight pipes the sound is not bad. just replace the mufflers with a good one like magnaflow or flowmaster. some say the flowmaster has a less airflow. but the deltaforce 1 baffle flowmaster with a 3" in and 3" out does flow very well. i currently have this settup and can tell you it breathes very well and has a very deep sound at idle and a roar at 2000 rpm all the way to wot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet. I am going back and forth between this and the flowmaster catback, I was quoted 65 bucks per side just remove the resonators and replace with a straight pipe, and 70 bucks per side to replace the stockers with a muffler of my choice, that comes to 270 in labor and 115 for parts. I might as well just get the catback and put it in myself. Ya know

·
Yellowjacketfever
479 Posts
if you put in a catback. you will still have a 2.5 pipe settup that will cost you alot of money. i put 1 muffler and 1 pipe out the back plus labor for 150.00.
thats everything and the resonator delete cost a whopping 30.00 for both sides. and the sound i can tell you is to me just as good as a 1000$ catback system. good luck and hope you find the sound you like.

·
HGH
531 Posts
i took my resonaters off this week (put on super 40's too)... i was surprised how unresitrictive the resonator is... its two straight through pipes with some mesh for the equilizer portion.

·
scream for me, scream for me!
1,108 Posts
i just took out the resonator and left stock cat back in , i dont want the maganaflow and i cant fit another muffler in there , but it sounds great , same gto tone just a few dbs higher. lookin to put in a set of headers but not spending all that money , thinking of jba shorties , any ideas on that?

·
Missing my little one.
21,341 Posts
resonator delete sounds good i think that with the combination of throwing on some flowmaster super 40 mufflers would be a nice increase in sound for pretty inexpensive.

simon on the jba shorties - save your money.

·
2004 IBM A4
1,287 Posts
Like others have said, it does make a difference, not exactly sure how much noise level wise though. Seems a little louder outside, not much of a change on the inside. Exhaust tone has become a little more aggressive, few more cracks/pops now. Mine is all stock except for resonators gone now. Local Midas charged less then $40 to remove and install straight pipe in the stock location, so go for it, sure is worth the little bit you'll pay. I can't wait to put on my 30 series Flowmasters from my Chevelle, it's gonna be mean!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I got the resonators removed and replaced with straight pipes, and then replaced stock mufflers with Magnaflow muffs, sounds great, a little more pop when cold and a tiny bit louder at idle, but WOT is much louder. Overall I am much happier. As soon as I can find something decent to get a sound clip I will post it.
THanks

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
I remember my resonator removal days. I still wanted louder and went to catless mid pipes. Its loud now!
Some muffler shops may question whether or not the resonators are cats (mine did). Tell them to cut them out and if they are cats, you will pay them to weld them back on. No worries.

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
Crockett said:
Well, I got the resonators removed and replaced with straight pipes, and then replaced stock mufflers with Magnaflow muffs, sounds great, a little more pop when cold and a tiny bit louder at idle, but WOT is much louder. Overall I am much happier. As soon as I can find something decent to get a sound clip I will post it.
THanks
That resonator removal will hold you down for a month or two, but once you go to some sort of a header installed its SEG forever! :pir_flag:

·
Registered
119 Posts
so im gonna do a resonator delete and i love a very loud deep sound so wat muffler should i put on untill i get my headers and whatnot later on in life lol.

·
Bannned
1,141 Posts
i just took out the resonator and left stock cat back in , i dont want the maganaflow and i cant fit another muffler in there , but it sounds great , same gto tone just a few dbs higher. lookin to put in a set of headers but not spending all that money , thinking of jba shorties , any ideas on that?
i dont understand you people, Pacesetter headers ARE TWICE as good as JBA HEADERS for THE SAME PRICE

Its like my brother asks me the same question EVERY single day. So should i get magnaflow catback or SLP loudmouth??? GET PACESETTERS

Whoever thinks a catback is gonna give you the same sound or the same amount of power as pacesetters with catless mids needs to go back to their honda

PACESETTERS ARE THE BEST MOD FOR YOU'RE MONEY

·
I like to turn
3,723 Posts
i dont understand you people, Pacesetter headers ARE TWICE as good as JBA HEADERS for THE SAME PRICE

Its like my brother asks me the same question EVERY single day. So should i get magnaflow catback or SLP loudmouth??? GET PACESETTERS

Whoever thinks a catback is gonna give you the same sound or the same amount of power as pacesetters with catless mids needs to go back to their honda

PACESETTERS ARE THE BEST MOD FOR YOU'RE MONEY
That's why I want to do Pacesetter headers first before any cat-back. Heck, I'm planning on keeping stock cat-back forever. I'm sure for my power it won't be restrictive at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts