LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Twin Turbonaro
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTO owners that have AZA staggered rims ( rear 9.5 front 8.5 )....I need your help !

Looking at getting the AZA 1 or 8 or 9 in the staggered configuration (front width 8.5" rear width 9.5") in either 18" or 19" and I really want to avoid rolling or shaving the fenders.

I know it will be close but Wheelmax have informed me that there should be no fender rubbing if you use a 265 tire for the rear and a 235 tire for the front. I heard that the shoulder on the tire varies between manufacturers and that the 275 tire in the rear will rub without shaving the fender. Is there a 275 tire for the rear that won't rub ? or should I be going for the 265 ? what tire brand did you use ? Wheelmax recommend Hankook,Yokohama & Toyo tires. Is a 245 tire possible on the front ?

I would really appreciate your feedback

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
GTO 05 said:
GTO owners that have AZA staggered rims ( rear 9.5 front 8.5 )....I need your help !

Looking at getting the AZA 1 or 8 or 9 in the staggered configuration (front width 8.5" rear width 9.5") in either 18" or 19" and I really want to avoid rolling or shaving the fenders.

I know it will be close but Wheelmax have informed me that there should be no fender rubbing if you use a 265 tire for the rear and a 235 tire for the front. I heard that the shoulder on the tire varies between manufacturers and that the 275 tire in the rear will rub without shaving the fender. Is there a 275 tire for the rear that won't rub ? or should I be going for the 265 ? what tire brand did you use ? Wheelmax recommend Hankook,Yokohama & Toyo tires. Is a 245 tire possible on the front ?

I would really appreciate your feedback

Myself and Baaa have just gone through this with our new AZA's he has the 10's and I have the 1's Both with Toyo T1 r's. With the 265 most likely you will have to mod the fenders. We both had ours ground down and not rolled. I have see several cars with Rolled fenders and if not done right ripples show up on the outside. We ground ours down and problem solved. IMO this is the best way to go, Keep a wet rag handy and keep the paint cool and when you are done cutting then smooth them out and put some touch up paint on the bare metal and enjoy!

Mine was rubbing pretty good on the drivers side and a little on the passenger side

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
LS2BlueGoat said:
Myself and Baaa have just gone through this with our new AZA's he has the 10's and I have the 1's Both with Toyo T1 r's. With the 265 most likely you will have to mod the fenders. We both had ours ground down and not rolled. I have see several cars with Rolled fenders and if not done right ripples show up on the outside. We ground ours down and problem solved. IMO this is the best way to go, Keep a wet rag handy and keep the paint cool and when you are done cutting then smooth them out and put some touch up paint on the bare metal and enjoy!

Mine was rubbing pretty good on the drivers side and a little on the passenger side
What he said.

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
In short:

yes.

·
Twin Turbonaro
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys.....The only way to find out the true answer is to ask someone who's already gone through the stress.

Well that has changed my mind a little as I really don't want to touch the fenders, but when I can't stand it anymore...and I just have to have aftermarket rims that require fender mods, I will be grinding not rolling. I also think grinding is the better way to go as it will look OEM compared to rolling and less chance of paint lifting,cracking and rust ect.....otherwise I will take the easy way out and go with CCW.

Thanks again guys !!

·
www.theangrygoat.com
417 Posts
GTO 05 said:
Thanks for the info guys.....The only way to find out the true answer is to ask someone who's already gone through the stress.

Well that has changed my mind a little as I really don't want to touch the fenders, but when I can't stand it anymore...and I just have to have aftermarket rims that require fender mods, I will be grinding not rolling. I also think grinding is the better way to go as it will look OEM compared to rolling and less chance of paint lifting,cracking and rust ect.....otherwise I will take the easy way out and go with CCW.

Thanks again guys !!
post pics when you get the CCW's :)

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
It's definitely worth cutting for the look it will give you. That is certain in life, along with taxes and death.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts