LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch took a dump, sounds like the under torqued pressure plate bolts came loose. It acted up in the morning a little and when I wnet to leave work I was backing out of parking space, pushed in the clutch pedal and car kept moving! I hit the brakes but couldn't get it out of gear and it took a few seconds before I thought to shut off the motor.

Dealer says that I need a clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing and the throwout bearing is out of stock at the warehouses. Could be a couple of weeks. This seems odd to me considering all of the LS1/LS6 M6's sold.

Anybody got any ideas? I am having them check on installing a SPEC 2 or 3 setup, but doesn't sound promising for future warranty even if I pay for the parts thru them.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
if you go for the Spec 3 that will probably take care of your clutch problems for the as long as you own ur car. ;)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Of course if you do go aftermarket, dont expect your dealership to install it for you. In fact, good luck finding many places that will.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just put the Spec Stage 3 in. Man what a difference. I love it, but you will feel like a novice at first driving it. It almost feels like just an on off switch. But there is a noticable difference. It seems everything for are car is a little different when it comes to GM part numbers. Including rear diff fluid. And even the bell on our trans. In the Helms manual it shows the lower half should unbolt for clutch adjustment and inspection. Yet my hole bell is one piece. Weird if you ask me. But if your not doing bigs mods I would most likely just stay with the Stage 2 clutch.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
TB is the same.

The reason they tell you it is out of stock is because they don't think outside of the box. GM gives everything a part number. Even though they may be the same part between models, applications, etc, the part may have a different part#.

Hence the part# for the GTO comes up as something out of stock. Surprise, surprise, right. However, look up a 2002 Trans Am throwout, and I bet it's a different part number. I can't vouch for whether they'll have it in stock, but you have a greater chance that it may be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks CMNTMXR57. Unfortunately, the dealer won't put anything but the GTO part numbered TB in. Good news is that the 2 weeks service told is BS, they just don't know so give the worst case scenario. Parts says they'll have an idea by tonight when the mfg can send one direct and typically it is 1-2 days.

Tom

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yea, it shouldn't be that hard to get them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts is saying that engineering says the bearing and support are an assembly and the GTO support is unique. None in the US and a minimum of 8 days from AU.

It irks me that they don't have the parts in the US when they know that they have a problem. I didn't have any symptoms that I knew of untill the first time it acted up and I have over 12K miles on the car. I guess that I should have pressed the issue.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts