LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIFFERENCE ! ! ! ! !

Well after chasing some parts I wanted it took a little while but the install is done :gears: :gears:

I can not say anything but great things about this set-up. This is camcojb old kit, so it has the upgraded turbos. He was an LS2 and I'm an 04 so obviously a LS1 car. Very little need to be adapted, basically just exhaust. Still looking for a good place for my washer bottle though. 05-06 cars have less in the engine bay and what comes with the kit would be an easy install. Yet 04's ABS and cruise is in the way.

Now I used to have the Maggie on here and switched it up for the twins. Now I was hoping there was going to be a difference and a noticable at that.

ALL I CAN SAY IS HOLY >>>>> :gears: :gears: :gears:

I never imagined how much difference there was between turbo boost vs. blower boost. 2lbs from these feel so much stronger then my maggie did. and it just gets better from there. Whiplash is a given for any passenger, I feel bad when I shift under a load I watche their heads bounce of the seat. May need to put a warning sticker just like at a roller coaster, or just improve my shifting ;) but it fun watching them.

I'm still tuning so no hard numbers yet, and still cranking it up as far as boost. I'm doing an SD tune with HP tuners 2 BAR map. I will say so far it seems easier to lock in on the tune also then the blower. I guess it was the heat soak before, just as soon as I thought I had it I was chasing KR again. Not now.

Well back to tuning and numbers sooon.... as long as she stays together.

Already looking for sort block for the just in case for now, and foe the future plans:)

·
I am now NOBOOST GTO SOLD
1,505 Posts
Very Cool that you are enjoying it!!! Wait till you get it tuned !! These things are amazingly powerful kits and as smooth as silk.:) :gears:

Les

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Thanks for your write up. I needed to hear things like this. I will be ordering my APS soon. What did you do with the 05' exhaust pipes? I will need those pipes when I order mine. I will not be ordering my kit till after the April 08' warentee is up. I want to get a cam, and take care of the week links in the drive train first.

What about oil? Did you have to tap in the oil pan?

·
Addicted to the go fast pedal
1,000 Posts
Black Devil said:
Thanks for your write up. I needed to hear things like this. I will be ordering my APS soon. What did you do with the 05' exhaust pipes? I will need those pipes when I order mine. I will not be ordering my kit till after the April 08' warentee is up. I want to get a cam, and take care of the week links in the drive train first.

What about oil? Did you have to tap in the oil pan?
umm april 08? by that time I'm sure there will be other improvements and kits will probably be cheap as hell.. :D

/thread jack

Hey I'm with this guy.. I need to hear things like this so I can feel better when I drop the money on the kit next year for spring!

Can't wait to see your numbers..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I adapted my exhuast to it. The 05's come back and turn into the center of the car, then go straight back. The 04's stop in the middle of the bend, and have a flange there. So I change my exsiting exhaust since there is only that difference. By eliminating the X-pipe in the SW exhaust I just ran 2 straight pipes to meet up with the 05 flanges. Very minor adjustment.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
175 Posts
Tell us more!!!!!!!
How did the install go? Any real issues or problems?
Since your kit has been on before, the parts should have just jumped on the car, right:nuts:
What was the hardest part of the install?
What was the coolest thing about the install?

Still great to hear you got done and the APS kit works better than your expectations, always nice when something blows you away, and its not in the lane next to you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SlotCar said:
Tell us more!!!!!!!
How did the install go? Any real issues or problems?
Since your kit has been on before, the parts should have just jumped on the car, right:nuts:
What was the hardest part of the install?
What was the coolest thing about the install?

Still great to hear you got done and the APS kit works better than your expectations, always nice when something blows you away, and its not in the lane next to you.

The install went well. It was just between my real job and alter ego, that took time. Needed to chase down some parts, being installed once before need to replace a couple studs and nuts etc.

As far as a brand new kit it would have been a breeze with, that is depending on your mechanical abilities. Even if minimal if you took your time it isn't that hard of an install. But I would advise only to do it yourself if you have some mechanical expierence. Somethings got in the way, or I would have had full photo document proving it can be done in a driveway, which is where I did it. But I'm also the guy who installed headers on Grand Prix's at mod days in parking lots.:nuts: :nuts:

The hardest or most nerve racking was drilling and tapping the block.

The best was firing it up for the first time with open exhaust, ohhhh did the turbo's sound nasty.

Once again, I can't believe what a difference. I also had a pretty solid platform to start with also.

Just to play it safe I a KAAZ and inner stubs will be on there way, and i need to still install the Alky injection, but pretty glad at how no need for it right now. A LOT and I mean A LOT less KR then with Maggie. Maggie was a pain to tune out the KR. Knock on wood APS kit has been easy so far.

Well back to street tuning and adding some boost......:turbonaug :turbonaug :turbonaug

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
What kind of drilling was done? I want to build a forged engine from another block, and I can drill that one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drilling out of the car will be easy, just small steps up in size. It is on the drivers side just above the pan. In the car it's a little tight and need 90 deg drill. It was more of tapping, that's never one of my strong suits, so I always take extreme caution not to mess up threads. Turn it in back it out, turn it in back it out. Just to keep cleaning threads.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I was wondering where on the engine the drilling needs to be done. And, why?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Does it have to be there? Or, can it be at the top of the pan? I just do not want to drill the block.

·
I am now NOBOOST GTO SOLD
1,505 Posts
Black Devil said:
Does it have to be there? Or, can it be at the top of the pan? I just do not want to drill the block.
You will need to install it at the intended location otherwise oil will back up into the scavenge pump. Peter will probably chime in when he returns from vacation. Drilling and tapping the block there is no big deal and you can always buy a plug to screw in place if you ever intend on selling the car and turbo kit down the road separatly.

Les

1 - 20 of 21 Posts