LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. I won't get into all the details on how I came to this point, but I'm damn glad I'm in.:pimp:

The APS twin turbo kit is the first generation design and will be used with the following upgrades:

AZPS Stage III fuel system
Flowtech/AZPS custom cam :secret:
Greddy Profec B boost controller
AutoComp boost and fuel pressure guages
Vig 3600 stall
Custom exhaust by AZPS (should be a little louder than stock)

Guys, this is were it helps to have a good relationship with an oustanding sponsor (Arizona Power and Sound). While it's not cheap, I was granted significant savings including getting credit on parts I had already purchased earlier from this sponsor. The FAST 90, AZPS02 cam, and exhaust were removed and credited, or exchanged (cam).

I plan on installing large chamber heads eventually, probably coated. But for now we'll see how this system responds in this configuration. If all goes well, we'll have dyno numbers and driving impressions in about 2 weeks.

·
Semper Fi
4,857 Posts
Thats so awesome man.. I know its what you originally wanted. I'm glad its gonna happen finally.

oh... should i start pricing out a tranny for you? :)

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know what boost the wastegates are set at from the factory?

·
More Boost = More Fun!
1,461 Posts
Damn. I was looking forward to seeing what the other appliance you had in the engine bay @ Dynochip would do. lol

·
I am now NOBOOST GTO SOLD
1,505 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase I am sure it will be a beast with a auto and a stall. Plus the AZP guys seem very knowledgeable and helpfull, the waste gates on my kit were at 6psi but manifold pressure was approx 5psi.

The turbos wil be in there max effiency range at approx 15psi, but are very happy and responsive at lower boost levels. I have found the sweet spot for my car at 12.5 psi until I get bigger injectors.

Going from 6 to 10psi is very impressive, going from 10 to 12.5 psi is like strapping a rocket on the car. plus it just sounds angry and pissed off.

Keep us informed.

Les

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The boost controller has dual controls, one for low boost and one for high. We'll tune it first for low, probably 6-7 psi, then have a high setting when I want to run race fuel. I'm hoping to run a max of 12 psi or so.

Les, I'll have a thousand questions for you eventually.

·
1,505 Posts
Hawkeye said:
The boost controller has dual controls, one for low boost and one for high. We'll tune it first for low, probably 6-7 psi, then have a high setting when I want to run race fuel. I'm hoping to run a max of 12 psi or so.

Les, I'll have a thousand questions for you eventually.
Ask away when ready I will do my best to help out as much as possible!!

Again congrats on the purchase you will never look back!!!

Les

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hawkeye said:
Yep. I won't get into all the details on how I came to this point, but I'm damn glad I'm in.:pimp:

The APS twin turbo kit is the first generation design and will be used with the following upgrades:

AZPS Stage III fuel system
Flowtech/AZPS custom cam :secret:
Greddy Profec B boost controller
AutoComp boost and fuel pressure guages
Vig 3600 stall
Custom exhaust by AZPS (should be a little louder than stock)

Guys, this is were it helps to have a good relationship with an oustanding sponsor (Arizona Power and Sound). While it's not cheap, I was granted significant savings including getting credit on parts I had already purchased earlier from this sponsor. The FAST 90, AZPS02 cam, and exhaust were removed and credited, or exchanged (cam).

I plan on installing large chamber heads eventually, probably coated. But for now we'll see how this system responds in this configuration. If all goes well, we'll have dyno numbers and driving impressions in about 2 weeks.
Congrats on your twin turbo purchase, should be loads of fun once completed. Be sure to give us all a comprehensive report on the GTO twin turbo build up, I'm sure that Loboost can also provide a wealth of first hand info on the TT install. :) :turbonaug

Peter

·
Jimmy
1,364 Posts
Congrats, that setup is going to be bada$$. If I buy a used 04 when my lease is up i'm thinking of a similar setup...

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peter, when I saw les's dyno run showing that torque curve in the mid 600's I knew I had found what I was looking for. That kind of power should really work well with an automatic.

·
1,505 Posts
Hawkeye said:
Peter, when I saw les's dyno run showing that torque curve in the mid 600's I knew I had found what I was looking for. That kind of power should really work well with an automatic.
Repeat after me 9 seconds 1/4s are coming very soon!

Les

·
GTOINLV
157 Posts
Les,
I'm still cleaning my underoos! I'm not even sure that really happened... I am pissed off.. my car feels slow now! Come spring time I will be in a position to pick up an '05 or '06... I am very much interested in using your car as a model for what I want to do. I was very impressed with what you've done. The ride was absolutely smooth and felt very good. Thanks again!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Congrtas, just after finishing my install and in the beginning stages of tuning. all I can do is keep thinking of ways to go out and drive it. :):)

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How visible is the intercooler? And, is it bare metal or black? I like the look of a bare metal intercooler...

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Vig3600 is left over from the old, high rpm big cam setup. I'll probably have it restalled to a lower rpm once the tranny gives out. Which may be very soon.:bomb:

I've actually contemplated putting the stock convertor back in, but I don't know what the drivability is yet with this custom cam.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts