LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the best bang for your buck in brake mods are steel brake lines. I have spent some time searching the sponsors sites and haven't found any. (except a few of the more expensive kits out there which include them as part of a complete brake package.) Has anyone been able to find any yet?

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
I have the full brake package on the way from JHP in Australia, which includes braided lines. Likely they can hook you up for the lines alone, and the exchange rate makes it a good deal even with shipping. http://www.jhp.com.au/index.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "custom" brake lines that he is referring to are for the guys that have done a brake package upgrade from an early model to a late model so that they can run the different/larger calipers and keep the same original brake lines. I have a '89 commodore and I am running the '98 series brake set up with the braided lines.

·
2004 GTO Impulse/Bermuda M6
149 Posts
Just a word of caution, make sure any steel braided brake hoses you buy are DOT approved for street use (unless you have a track use only car). Steel braided hoses do not like to twist, some tend to unbraid when subjected to twisting forces (think of wringing out a towel) created by turning the steering wheel or suspension movement. Hoses that carry a DOT approval have passed federal tests that are designed to identify such failure modes. It is not fun to have a brake hose pop, it usually happens when you REALLY need them. :driving:

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blu04 said:
Just a word of caution, make sure any steel braided brake hoses you buy are DOT approved for street use (unless you have a track use only car). Steel braided hoses do not like to twist, some tend to unbraid when subjected to twisting forces (think of wringing out a towel) created by turning the steering wheel or suspension movement. Hoses that carry a DOT approval have passed federal tests that are designed to identify such failure modes. It is not fun to have a brake hose pop, it usually happens when you REALLY need them. :driving:
Thanks blu04, you bring up an excellent point. I will keep that in mind as I shop around. I guess that kind of rules out those kits from Australia? I doubt they would be DOT approved.

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
JHP include braided brake lines in their brake packages - a couple of guys have bought these as complete packages.

www.jhp.com.au

·
Registered
367 Posts
Found these on CAPA's site, but I haven't gotten around to asking about them yet (hopefully they are TUV rated), and if that is for a set of 4 or what

Braided Brake Hose Lines $ 145.00

·
Registered
22 Posts
This might be overkill, but I am now installing the BAER brake upgrade on my 04 and both calipers come supplied with steel braided brake hoses. Kind of an expensive way to get the steel braided brake hoses but the 14 inch brakes are exactly what these GTO's need. I will post some photos as soon as I have them. These are awsome kits!

I dont work for BAER (lol)

·
Registered
56 Posts
GRock said:
This might be overkill, but I am now installing the BAER brake upgrade on my 04 and both calipers come supplied with steel braided brake hoses. Kind of an expensive way to get the steel braided brake hoses but the 14 inch brakes are exactly what these GTO's need. I will post some photos as soon as I have them. These are awsome kits!

I dont work for BAER (lol)
What wheels are you running with those 14 in brakes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
SAF Forged 20 x 10's with Toyo 245 35's in the rear and 20 x 9's with Toyo 275 30's up front. Its outragious. Car is in the shop getting all this done as I type this so as soon as I have a chance you will see it all!

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Bump, any updates? I'm still looking for a set.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, CAPA never got back to me about their DOT approval (looking to see if they use the TUV regulation like Germany), but they sell just the lines. Also, RMR products (gto drift site) has some listed as well, but didn't see a price.

HTH...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to your local Earl's (Holley brand) distributor with your stock hoses and have them make a set of steel-braided hoses for you. I think they call them 'hyperfirm' or something like that. They'll charge by the foot.

Not all Earl's distributors make them for you, so you might need to find a good hydraulics store that carries their products. Make sure you match up the originals to the new ones to see how exact they are before you hand any cash over. This may or may not cost you more than premade hose sets.

Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
AP Racing has braided lines that come with their big brake kit (and they are TUV approved as well as DOT). I don't know if they length would change, and I can't image the fittings would change, so I would think those lines would fit the stock calipers.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
GRock said:
SAF Forged 20 x 10's with Toyo 245 35's in the rear and 20 x 9's with Toyo 275 30's up front. Its outragious. Car is in the shop getting all this done as I type this so as soon as I have a chance you will see it all!
You are aware that 245/35R20s (as well as 275/30R20) are a big 1" talled than stock?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts