LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wheel shopping and have looked at different manufacturers like ZE forged, CCW, I forged etc... Most of the styles I like run close to $3000.00 without tires. For those of you that have really good wheels are you happy that spent the extra cash and do you think that they are worth it? I'm not going to be racing, but I do want a "safe" wheel that I don't have to worry about if I'm going 120+. Some of the cheaper wheels (I like the Ruff 279) look nice in pics, but I'm unsure about the quality. Are the less expensive wheels just as good on the street as the expensive ones?
 

·
I like pie.
Joined
·
267 Posts
My 18" thruxtons are $200 and look real nice. weigh 10 pounds less than the stockers too
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,113 Posts
Hell yes because they fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
My ZE Forged wheels are very soft. Every time I look under the car, there seems to be a new twist in the metal.

 

Attachments

·
Sold August 10 2007
Joined
·
2,593 Posts
wild goat said:
I've been wheel shopping and have looked at different manufacturers like ZE forged, CCW, I forged etc... Most of the styles I like run close to $3000.00 without tires. For those of you that have really good wheels are you happy that spent the extra cash and do you think that they are worth it? I'm not going to be racing, but I do want a "safe" wheel that I don't have to worry about if I'm going 120+. Some of the cheaper wheels (I like the Ruff 279) look nice in pics, but I'm unsure about the quality. Are the less expensive wheels just as good on the street as the expensive ones?
I have the iForged wheels, have had them for 2 years, they really do look good and I am very happy with them. As far as safety, most wheels sold in the U.S. have to meet D.O.T. standards so you rarely hear about wheels flying apart at high speed. Mostly its about looks and to some degree about strength (getting a wheel that won't bend easy).

I think the best value in a custom wheel are the polished CCW's, they really look good on a GTO. For a regular non custom wheel my favorite is the ROH Drift R's in black with polished lip, staggered setup. Of course my favorites are the ones I have but like you say, it is a big chunk of change but HRE's, iForged wheels give just about any car a very distinctive look.

One caveat to custom 3 piece wheels..... they really are only suited to fair weather conditions. I live in California so mine are fine on my daily driver. If I lived where I had to deal with a lot of rain and snow, I would not buy them. And these type of wheels require frequent and fairly extensive maintenance to look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
i personally like Fiske and Kinesis wheels. they will custom make them to fit for you; they will run you about $4000.00 or more.

but...

i would use these only for meets and shows. i would NOT run these daily. do you wear a tux every day? --no. i would run other wheels daily, as daily driver wheels are prone to scuffs, curbing, dents, scratches. buy a set of wheels or keep the stock wheels for daily use. if you like the stocks and don't want them scratched, get an extra set so you have a mint set and a daily driver set of OEM wheels.

what i'm saying is that there is no reason on earth to only go with one set of wheels exclusively. just look at the guy's pic in the above post. why he chose to make these daily wheels is beyond me. we have many pairs of shoes, for example, in our closets. we don't wear the same shoes every day, even if we prefer a certain pair. there is an occasion for different shoes and wheels.

when you start thinking of your car as a fashion statement and not only as a vehicle to get around in, you will entirely shift your manner of thinking about accessories. and that is what wheels are: accessories. don't wear your crown ***els every day. that is only inviting disappointment when you so as much get a tiny speck on them. especially if you're going to drop over 3 grand.

does this make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
bonzelite said:
i personally like Fiske and Kinesis wheels. they will custom make them to fit for you; they will run you about $4000.00 or more.

but...

i would use these only for meets and shows. i would NOT run these daily. do you wear a tux every day? --no. i would run other wheels daily, as daily driver wheels are prone to scuffs, curbing, dents, scratches. buy a set of wheels or keep the stock wheels for daily use. if you like the stocks and don't want them scratched, get an extra set so you have a mint set and a daily driver set of OEM wheels.

what i'm saying is that there is no reason on earth to only go with one set of wheels exclusively. just look at the guy's pic in the above post. why he chose to make these daily wheels is beyond me. we have many pairs of shoes, for example, in our closets. we don't wear the same shoes every day, even if we prefer a certain pair. there is an occasion for different shoes and wheels.

when you start thinking of your car as a fashion statement and not only as a vehicle to get around in, you will entirely shift your manner of thinking about accessories. and that is what wheels are: accessories. don't wear your crown ***els every day. that is only inviting disappointment when you so as much get a tiny speck on them. especially if you're going to drop over 3 grand.

does this make sense?
Ya know for some reason it make's sence to me.............Thinking outside the box.....................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bonzelite said:
i personally like Fiske and Kinesis wheels. they will custom make them to fit for you; they will run you about $4000.00 or more.

but...

i would use these only for meets and shows. i would NOT run these daily. do you wear a tux every day? --no. i would run other wheels daily, as daily driver wheels are prone to scuffs, curbing, dents, scratches. buy a set of wheels or keep the stock wheels for daily use. if you like the stocks and don't want them scratched, get an extra set so you have a mint set and a daily driver set of OEM wheels.

what i'm saying is that there is no reason on earth to only go with one set of wheels exclusively. just look at the guy's pic in the above post. why he chose to make these daily wheels is beyond me. we have many pairs of shoes, for example, in our closets. we don't wear the same shoes every day, even if we prefer a certain pair. there is an occasion for different shoes and wheels.

when you start thinking of your car as a fashion statement and not only as a vehicle to get around in, you will entirely shift your manner of thinking about accessories. and that is what wheels are: accessories. don't wear your crown ***els every day. that is only inviting disappointment when you so as much get a tiny speck on them. especially if you're going to drop over 3 grand.

does this make sense?
I think I could justify the purchase to my wife with that rationale, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
there ya go.

i would just never in a million years run $3K to $4k wheels daily. never. unless only if i drove the car about 1000 miles/year or less, and only to shows, i'd keep a change of shoes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
I Would say generally, people purchase wheels for their cars rarely. Get what you want and you will not look back because most people will have to live with them for a while. A cheap wheel will always look like a cheap wheel. Odd offsets, fake rivets, horrible finishes and ugly designs plague many cars. Imo making the car look cheap. I would rather keep my stock wheels then waist money on a set of ugly cheap wheels that I did not care for JUST to say that I had wheels on my car. Just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions. To each his own though, as long as your happy in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I would like to find wheels that dont look like they just came off a BMW or an IMPORT car. I would like a retro muscle car wheel. But With the bolt patterns and goofy offsets I will stick with the stockers.
 

·
I like pie.
Joined
·
267 Posts
I dont think my thruxtons look cheap at all. They may have only been $200 each but the look very nice, and weigh alot lest, and have the strongest TUV rating. And they fit perfectly, alowing 245's all the way aroud.







 

·
www.theangrygoat.com
Joined
·
417 Posts
You can not go wrong with a good cast wheel sometimes

WORK etc..

I loved my works and they are not forged, or too high dollar, and they kicked ass
 

·
ChimChim is in the HD's trunk
Joined
·
4,966 Posts
I have had Boyd Coddington polished F-22's since January and they are beautiful wheels when clean. They are not rain friendly at all but I think if they were Zoop Sealed they would be more water friendly.

I am too old to deal with polishing or sealing wheels so I went and bought some TSW Nogaro Wheels.

As soon as I get the F-22's polished up one last time, I am going to sell them for $1600 on this forum.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
Owe5Goat said:
I have had Boyd Coddington polished F-22's since January and they are beautiful wheels when clean. They are not rain friendly at all but I think if they were Zoop Sealed they would be more water friendly.

I am too old to deal with polishing or sealing wheels so I went and bought some TSW Nogaro Wheels.

As soon as I get the F-22's polished up one last time, I am going to sell them for $1600 on this forum.



so which wheels are those pictured? Boyd's?
 

·
ChimChim is in the HD's trunk
Joined
·
4,966 Posts

·
ChimChim is in the HD's trunk
Joined
·
4,966 Posts
Yup,



 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top