LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LSX Motors Rock!
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. These are the mods im planing on. JBA shorties, LPE or K&N Intake, plugs & wires, custome tune. I may do a cat-back exhaust but i may just leave that stock. Now I've heard a lot of people say that the JBA's are holding them back, is this just on cammed cars? Or would the JBA's be perfect for my mod list?

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
i just ordered a set today, they seem like the way to go if you need to keep your cats and/or keep your warrenty. There after market so there better than the stockers i'll have mine installed in a couple of weeks. Also other members have told me you dont need a tune for my setup which is going to be about the same for you but since you have an auto it would help more.

Tbyrne is having a special on them this week.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
What type of gains are you looking at with these shorties, CAI, tune?

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Do we still need to drop the rack to install these JBA shorties?

·
That's Got A V6 Right?
303 Posts
Theta said:
Do we still need to drop the rack to install these JBA shorties?

No you don't

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pontiac GTO said:
Ok. These are the mods im planing on. JBA shorties, LPE or K&N Intake, plugs & wires, custome tune. I may do a cat-back exhaust but i may just leave that stock. Now I've heard a lot of people say that the JBA's are holding them back, is this just on cammed cars? Or would the JBA's be perfect for my mod list?
You are in CA so you need to stick with shorty headers and right now the only ones that have a CARB EO# are the JBA's.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Are there any substantial gains with the JBAs? Horsepower-wise, I know that LTs are FAR better for power...

But do these make the exhaust louder, or the acceleration noticeably... better?

I'm trying to decide between JBAs, mids, and LTs... Must... not... drop... rack... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
JBA headers

I did the JBA hearders 4 weeks ago. I am very pleased. I have no numbers for you ... but I did the LS speed induction and the SLP MAF about 2 months ago and got more punch in the lower range. That punch came at the expense of a sense of smoothness and pull in the upper power band. The JBA's cured that. The smoothness of power delivery and willingness to rev is great. That combo works very well. Next week I will complete that mod package with the Borla cat-back.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Pontiac GTO said:
Did the exhaust note change when you put the headers in? Was the install pretty easy?
I'd be interested in hearing how difficult the job is, as well...

The more I can do myself, the less the shop has to charge me for. :p

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
It's pretty easy to install JBAs.TOOL LIST:13 mm deep and standard 6 point socket,15mm deep socket,12-18" extention,ratchet,19mm deep socket,10mm deep socket,13mm gear wrench or regular box wrench.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Pontiac GTO said:
Im hoping to be able to put down 335 rwhp.
There was a member claiming higher numbers with a similar set up but it was quickly found that they were a JBA employee.

Stainless Works long tube headers, no cats, Stock Catback, CIA, Wires, Plugs and a full dyno tune netted me 331 RWHP. These numbers are are typical for three cars in my circle. Some people I have talked to do not believe the shorties are worth more than 15 hp. Figuring another 12 or so from a CIA you may get around 320. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just relating the my experance. Check out my dyno chart linked below. It looks similar to the other cars I have seen with the same set up as mine.

my 2 cents

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
yes they will be an improvement over the stock manifolds but I think you would get a better result for your money with High Flow cats on the stock manifold. I could be wrong as wrong can be though. I have been told by many people I trust that the shorties are mostly for looks. The High flows replace everything between the manifold and the Catback w/ 3 inch pipe and cats.. The stock manifolds are not that bad.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Unless someone is looking over you with great admiration, a set of shorties ain't gonna get you 335rwhp. Pete and I are neck and neck with long tubes. Him at 331, me at 330.

Sorry, not to rain on your parade or anything.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
Hmm... Interesting point on the cats...

However, does anyone share that opinion? Will wide-open cats offer a bigger performance increase than the JBAs?

Also, who sells the cats on the pipe that bolts into the stock system? Do we have to cut the old ones off, and weld the new ones in? :wall:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Not really. The factory cats do leave room for improvement, but they aren't that bad either.

You'd have to cut them out at this point in time as I don't think anything on the market. I don't know what JBA has, but SLP is just out with their shorty setup so I don't know if they sell it separately or only as a kit.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
329 Posts
I think all of us that are considering the JBAs might want to look at the SLP mid lengths with the cats...

I just need to know for sure if we have to drop the rack to install those.

Both the JBAs and SLPs are damn good deals at Tbyrne right now... :eek2:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
With the mid lenghts you still have to move the cats. I thought that Random Tech had a Cat w/ piping that bolted into the stock manifold. Someone was selling a set here because they ended up going with LT's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts