LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to replace the subframe bushings but the article in the KB states that the main bolts are TTY.

If I were to use Loctite on the stock bolts will they be satisfactory until I purchase new main bolts?

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
I reused mine. Blue loctite. So have ALOT of others.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
TTY bolts stretch when torqued to spec. They lose a minimum of 20% of their retention strength when re-installed. Since those two bolts and the four differential carrier bolts and the four front cradle bolts and the four strut clevis bolts are all TTY how safe do you really think your car is having lost 20% or more of the strength at all these critical points? I have seen four vehicles with TTY bolts loosened to finger tightness with re-used TTY bolts in critical locations. Those cars werethisclose to a disaster. Worse yet, they were re-used by professionals who charged for their services. What is your life as well as the lives of your passengers and the lives of the others on a public roadway worth?

What kind of hypocrites are we when we slam GM for leaking struts and strut rub and then ignore the engineering behind a TTY bolt and re-use them? Why are we even having this discussion?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts