LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my not-GTO daily driver I today just swapped back to my Summer wheels and tires. My Summer wheels weigh 8 pounds less per wheel than the stockers I run in the Winter. Every Spring it feels like I've gained 10-15 HP just from the wheel swap.

So, this leads me to question the wheel choice on the GTO. I love the stock 18s, think they are a great look on these cars. But I now have begun to wonder if they are considered heavy wheels. Most if not all stock wheels on most cars are heavy due to needing to have sturdy, reliable wheels on a car sold by the manufacturer. Looks are important, but I'm wondering if I could pep up the car a little bit more again by upgrading to a lighter set of wheels. But if the stock 18s are already considered a pretty light wheel for these cars, perhaps I should just stick with what I've got.

·
1badc5
67 Posts
The stock 18x8s are around 28-29 lbs each(no tires), definitely not light but not crazy. How much driving are you doing in the winter? Some aftermarket 18x8s i've just looked at are around 21-25 lbs or so, i'm sure there are lighter ones you could find with a bit more searching.

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
The stock 18x8s are around 28-29 lbs each(no tires), definitely not light but not crazy. How much driving are you doing in the winter? Some aftermarket 18x8s i've just looked at are around 21-25 lbs or so, i'm sure there are lighter ones you could find with a bit more searching.
yeah. the stock 17's are actually a similar weight, a tad lighter. 27 i think?

they are pretty typical for cast OE wheels of the era, i think.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
Well, the weights of my CCW’s are below:
19x8.5 - 21 lbs
19x10 - 22 lbs

Certainly a bit lighter than smaller stock wheels. Its been well over a decade since I’ve gone from stock wheels to CCW’s, but don’t remember ever noticing an improvement in response from the lighter wheels.

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,388 Posts
I never gave it a thought to weigh my stock 18s during my widening project. Would be interesting to see if the extra 1.5" added anything to it as I have read that it actually didn't. Nonetheless, they don't feel light but not very heavy to me. That doesn't help much. I still say send them to get widened and don't look back.

Reactions: zech912

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the weights of my CCW’s are below:
19x8.5 - 21 lbs
19x10 - 22 lbs

Certainly a bit lighter than smaller stock wheels. Its been well over a decade since I’ve gone from stock wheels to CCW’s, but don’t remember ever noticing an improvement in response from the lighter wheels.
It might not make much of a difference on a high power heavy car. On the daily it is much more moderately powered so any benefit may be amplified in a lower powered lighter car.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
I’m only referring to a GTO, which is what you were asking about.

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m only referring to a GTO, which is what you were asking about.
Yes I know. My original comment was that I noticed a big difference going to much lighter wheels on my daily. Maybe that experience wouldn't translate as dramatically on a heavier higher powered car.

·
1badc5
67 Posts
I never gave it a thought to weigh my stock 18s during my widening project. Would be interesting to see if the extra 1.5" added anything to it as I have read that it actually didn't. Nonetheless, they don't feel light but not very heavy to me. That doesn't help much. I still say send them to get widened and don't look back.
Probably didn't add more than 1-2lbs a corner. If you want, you could weigh the whole wheel and let us know what tire you're using, can always work out the extra weight from that.

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,388 Posts
Probably didn't add more than 1-2lbs a corner. If you want, you could weigh the whole wheel and let us know what tire you're using, can always work out the extra weight from that.
I'll try to remember to weigh one next time I have a rear wheel off.

Reactions: PBMunicorn

·
Wol Gemut
3,729 Posts
my oem 17x8s weighed 26.4 pounds, which is not CCW lightness, but is not bad at all. the Intro 18x9s I previously had in the rear, an aftermarket two-piece forged wheel, weighed 31 pounds each.

edit: I should add that weighing was done on bathroom scale, first without them, then holding each. so may not be 100% accurate, but close.

Reactions: vanrah

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mines a weekend car and I like the look of the factory 18s . I might swap later on to a lighter wheel. But I don’t seem to notice an issue, toss some HP at it. 500whp or so and you should notice anything but some traction issues lol.

·
Registered
04m6 PBM-JBA cc shorties, Muff delete CAI intake DBAfronts 05/06rears c5 pads LSS 06tails SAP stuff
410 Posts
When I weighed my stock 17x8s with BFG GFORces they all weighed exactly 50lbs. I think one or two were 51lbs. My tires, are I believe 28lbs each stock, which leaves me to believe the stock 17s are under 25lbs each.
Idk Ill need some new tires soon maybe they’ve lost weight due to wear

·
Wol Gemut
3,729 Posts
I weighed the stock 17s at 26.4 lbs. not saying my weighing was perfect but that is what I got.

·
Registered
04m6 PBM-JBA cc shorties, Muff delete CAI intake DBAfronts 05/06rears c5 pads LSS 06tails SAP stuff
410 Posts
I weighed the stock 17s at 26.4 lbs. not saying my weighing was perfect but that is what I got.
Without the tire I’m assuming? Next time I get tires I’ll have to weigh the raw wheel by itself. The BFGs I have on rn are 2 years old with all the notorious shitty wear spots our cars are notorious for. When rotating last I weighed them and was pretty shocked at how light they actually felt. Not sure how much weight a tire loses through its life of tread loss, but the 245/45zr17 BFG-gForce sport comp 2 a/s are 27.2lbs new, so maybe they’re at 25-26lbs now which would yield about the same result you got

coulda sworn back when the forum started when the car came out that some people had posted the exact weights of the 17s and 18s, the 18s weighing slightly more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts