LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it already planned out. I just want to confirm this.

Going to upgrade valvesprings, and rockers to SLP 1.85 rockers. Thinking about picking up the 918s and the matching Ti retainers.

Will the 915's cut it on the LS2?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I'd put a cam in use 918 springs and stock rocker arms. Make 50 more hp then that setup:)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GMH GTO said:
I'd put a cam in use 918 springs and stock rocker arms. Make 50 more hp then that setup:)
really not interested in camming the motor anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
rosm187 said:
why valve springs, and rockers, but no cam?
that was my plan when i got the car aswell. bump the valve lift and max rpm up that with a tune to get a nice little power gain for cheap. but i knew tha wasnt going to be enough so i canned that idea, and went big cam stock rockers

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a big cam is not going to give me what i want. I drive this car every day. right at almost 1K miles per week.

·
Born Again Goat
1,555 Posts
The 918 has higher seat pressre at installed height (1.80") and full lift, which will provide better valve float control over the 915 spriing. The choice boils down to whether you plan to raise your rev limit.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
NorySS said:
a big cam is not going to give me what i want. I drive this car every day. right at almost 1K miles per week.
easy. you dont need big, a 220 .550ish or even a 224 .565ish wont hurt what you are doing.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
exactly, i'd say a LS6 cam would pickup more power then 1.8 rockers, be very driveable sound stock.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guys, i don't want to install a cam. I just wnat to stick with bolt ons.

I have my 96 ImpalaSS for racing.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
NorySS said:
guys, i don't want to install a cam. I just wnat to stick with bolt ons.

I have my 96 ImpalaSS for racing.
yeah then a set of fancy quick/high lifts. but big rockers hurt idle just as much as a small cam

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
big rockers too are heavy and can cause valve float.

Do you have headers Nory?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GMH GTO said:
big rockers too are heavy and can cause valve float.

Do you have headers Nory?
ahhh, that doesn't make any sense. I know the Valvetrain on the Lsx series is designed to be as light as possible, thats why I plan to compensate by using Ti Retainers and locks.

Valve float really has to do with spring pressure. Of course the lighter the valvetrain, the less spring pressure you would need. Hence the reason why i want to stay with the beehive line up.

And right now I don't have headers. But I will be installing them next week or so, when they arrive. I'll be doing thr header install first.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
if you go so big with teh rocker that you need a duel spring its almost not worth the work. i dont think you can run a 1.85 rocker with a beehive and get the life out of the springs i think you'd need

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Heavy rocker arms have nothing to do with valve float?

Dump the cash on some rockers and springs. Lets say with headers you should be 350-360rwhp? If you make more then 380rwhp with rocker arms you have proved me wrong. Before/After 1.8 rockers dyno would be good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jbss71 said:
yeah then a set of fancy quick/high lifts. but big rockers hurt idle just as much as a small cam
The SLP rockers look just like the stock ones. They are very close in weight. You will see no change in idle when going with these rockers. If you are gonna do rockers these are the easiest ones to install.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GMH GTO said:
Heavy rocker arms have nothing to do with valve float?

Dump the cash on some rockers and springs. Lets say with headers you should be 350-360rwhp? If you make more then 380rwhp with rocker arms you have proved me wrong. Before/After 1.8 rockers dyno would be good.
Like I said, weight DOES effect the amount of FORCE/PRESSURE the springs need to generate to keep the lifters/valves in place.

Even David Vizard had an article about the beehives and how you DON'T need to run as much spring pressure compared to other springs due to the weight reduction.

Now, I do understand that the ROLLER rockers will add weight. I will wiegh them compared to stock.

I think think that having the roller tip + the higher lift will have a much higher benefitial factor than having the stock rocker. Especially when I'll swap in the Springs.

Also I would like to mention that I am mainly doing this because it is an easy mod, and I can change back to stock than with a cam.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jbss71 said:
if you go so big with teh rocker that you need a duel spring its almost not worth the work. i dont think you can run a 1.85 rocker with a beehive and get the life out of the springs i think you'd need
You are misinformed here, I have seen 918's last 32K miles with a relatively large cam in the 580-590 lift range. The 918's are good spring and a very dependable one at that.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
crazykid said:
The SLP rockers look just like the stock ones. They are very close in weight. You will see no change in idle when going with these rockers. If you are gonna do rockers these are the easiest ones to install.
SLP used to have 1.85 rocker arms that looked OE.

SLP now sources their 1.85 rocker arms from yella terra.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts