LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put her away in the garage last night after her daily wipe down, I noticed through the windshield that my side bolster closest to the door was looking a little wrinkled and well, wore. :(

I don't drive mine that often and this is similar to the wear and tear my HD's leather seat suffered from.

I don't like this! :(

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I haven't noticed anything weird/unusual wear. I have started to have that squeaking thing where the bolster rubs against the plastic frame and squeaks, but I am having that fixed on Friday. Maybe that is the reason in your case?

·
Registered
58 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
When I put her away in the garage last night after her daily wipe down, I noticed through the windshield that my side bolster closest to the door was looking a little wrinkled and well, wore. :(

I don't drive mine that often and this is similar to the wear and tear my HD's leather seat suffered from.

I don't like this! :(
Thats normal wear and tear on leather seats of this quality. What I do to minimize wear on the side of the seat is scoot the seat all the way back so when I get out I dont rub against the bolster. When I get in I just motor the seat to my desired position. Too bad we dont have seats with memory. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
What the heck is the bolster??
:drink::drink:

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
They are the big side cushion thingies that hold you in side to side :D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I thought those were called bras?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
yeah, mine is showing wear too. i try to get in and out with out rubbing it. me no like

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Careful I heard of someone with rivited jean pockets actually scratching and tearing their seat. I always try to go in butt first and swing the legs in not slide my whole body in and across the seat.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
My front side bolsters are fine but the back seats are shot to hell.

Must be the constant friction and the rubbing, and the humping, the up and down and sometimes side to side repetitive motion again and again. Whew!

Too bad I don't smoke because I could use a cig right now.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only you DG!

I would expect this kind of wear with a 50,000 mile car. However, I just turned 3,000 miles and the car only gets driven on select days. So it shouldn't be wearing that quickly. Especially a HIGHER quality leather like is used on this car.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have almost 9K on the car and drive it every day. The seat looks like new. Go figure.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
desertgoat said:
My front side bolsters are fine but the back seats are shot to hell.

Must be the constant friction and the rubbing, and the humping, the up and down and sometimes side to side repetitive motion again and again. Whew!

Too bad I don't smoke because I could use a cig right now.
I can say that this is one car I won't be doing that in. I'd be too tired after getting into the back. That's what the Buick is for. I've got 2 end tables and a rollaway.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mine are wearing.....of course it would be better if I weighed less

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
radkon said:
Careful I heard of someone with rivited jean pockets actually scratching and tearing their seat. I always try to go in butt first and swing the legs in not slide my whole body in and across the seat.
That was me. The outside bolster on the driver's seat is scratched all to heck. Real ugly. Don't know how to repair it, either, if that's even possible. :(

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
mistermike said:
I can say that this is one car I won't be doing that in. I'd be too tired after getting into the back. That's what the Buick is for. I've got 2 end tables and a rollaway.
So when you sell the buick no more lovin?

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
mistermike said:
I use a bed for that! :hail:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I purchased a new WS6 TransAm in 1998. After hanging out at ls1.com for a while this subject came up. I think it's the price one pays for good lateral support. Some thought it was more of an issue for those who wear jeans on a regular basis. Makes sense, I guess. I had the Firebird (it was a great car) for about 40K miles and never noticed any wearing. Not much you can do about it other than trying to minimize the rubbing. Of course, you could always swear off blue jeans.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is in the upper bolster though that cradles your rib cage.

It may be a hard pressed argument to claim warranty on this though as they may see it as normal wear & tear.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Only you DG!

I would expect this kind of wear with a 50,000 mile car. However, I just turned 3,000 miles and the car only gets driven on select days. So it shouldn't be wearing that quickly. Especially a HIGHER quality leather like is used on this car.
You are right! I have 7000 miles on my car and have no wear at all. I keep my leather conditioned with Connonly Hidefood. The leather used in the goat is a very high quality thick leather like my Alfa 164. The leather in my Ford F250 was a bear to maintain and showed wear quickly. See if some conditioner helps.

Doc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts