LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
7,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Fall I noticed that my car would start without having the clutch pedal depressed. This is not good! Ask me how I discovered this!

Anyway, in looking into what may need to be determined to be bad, I found that there are two switches on the clutch pedal. One up front called the clutch start switch and one in the back called the clutch pedal position switch. I'm trying to find out if these switches can still be bought. I found what I think is the front one, part number 92077936, that is still available. Some places list that part number as both the start switch and the pedal position switch but I think they are different but I can't find a part number for the rear switch.

Anyway, I want to figure out what is going wrong and fix it. I'm not sure I grasp why there are two switches and which switch does what. Another aspect that confuses me is if the switch controlling staring went bad I'd think I wouldn't be able to start the car at all. Also, one switch or the other must be involved to turn off the cruise control and the last time I used the cruise I'm pretty sure depressing the clutch pedal turned it off but maybe I tapped the brakes. Anyway, I can't drive the car right now so my plan is to try to get the switches out of the car and test them on the bench and see if either is damaged in any obvious way.

Can anyone answer:
-why are there two switches?
-which switch controls start/no start?
-why does the shop manual say to disable the air bags before replacing these switches? The section on replacing the clutch pedal assembly only says to disconnect the switches and says nothing about disabling the air bag system as part of the process.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The one towards me doesnt get depressed so my car starts without the clutch. But also cant engage the cruise. Dont even remember if I have a second switch near the firewall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts