LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I prefer goat cheese
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there with an A4(any year) and Kooks LTs that monitors trans temps? I've been noticing that after I've been driving for an extended period of time, after everything has a chance to get hot, that the trans has a tendancy to slip between upshifts.

Im thinking this is because my trans cooler lines are only a few MMs away from the left bank header causing the trans fluid to overheat, despite ceramic coating. I bought a Derale trans pan in an attempt to remedy the problem but I havent noticed any difference.

Ok, so basically what Im trying to figure out is if anyone with an A4 and Kooks has monitored their transmission temps and noticed that the Kooks are cookin the fluid.

Any input appreciated, thanks....Grant

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I do not own an auto. But, your observation is correct. The lines are close, and can actually heat the fluid. I would suggest getting some heat wrapping for the lines, and see if there is a change. You may also want to change the fluid, if you have not already.

·
Need A Little Beethoven?
5,639 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in the shifts. I don't have a trans temp gauge though so I couldn't tell you if there's a difference there.

·
I prefer goat cheese
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im considering this, but where in the trans cooling system is the cooler placed? Because wouldnt it be between the source of heat, in effect, heating the fluid as it passes the header, then cooling it in the cooler, then reheating it as it returns to the transmission.(from pan-Hot-Cool-Hot-Back to pan) Would this really make a difference?

I guess I'm just looking for some concrete evidence of the temps observed in this situation, with or w/o a transcooler.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Don't forget. The fluid will be heated on it's return to the trans. A cooler may not help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A combination of a few things mentioned will help. Insulating the lines, replacing the factory cooler(assuming it has one) with a big oversize unit and then change the fluid & filter. In the past ive always had huge aftermkt tranny coolers in auto cars. these trannys cant be cheap

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
$2,200.00 to about $3,000.00 for a replacement. Can be much more for a really built unit.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
Just wrap the lines and forgutboutit'

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
wrap the lines and a large trans cooler , best way to go

id do trans cooler even with out the headers

·
We are Virgina Tech!
239 Posts
OhFoGTO said:
Im considering this, but where in the trans cooling system is the cooler placed? Because wouldnt it be between the source of heat, in effect, heating the fluid as it passes the header, then cooling it in the cooler, then reheating it as it returns to the transmission.(from pan-Hot-Cool-Hot-Back to pan) Would this really make a difference?

I guess I'm just looking for some concrete evidence of the temps observed in this situation, with or w/o a transcooler.
Insulate the lines...

Little lesson in thermo… There is only certain amount of heat transfer (change in temp) associated with the fluid and the cooler... basically the system is designed to maintain a given temp and the cooler as you are calling it is just a air to liquid heat exchanger. If you are heating the fluid up beyond the design temp before it goes into the cooler it can only reduce it by the same temperature differential. Based on your location I would assume you do a lot of driving in traffic so your car just sitting there generating heat. If you aren't moving its not gonna do any cooling without a fan. It’s the same deal with the AC. If you want to get a greater Delta T you would have to get a bigger cooler or bigger fan to cool it… insulating the lines will help the most for the least $$$.

… hope i haven't gone beyond what you were asking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts