LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that could supply some help on installing the front optional Ash Tray? It looks to me like the whole front center bezel has to be removed and I have no clue how to do that. Does it just pop off? Do I need special tools? The Ash Trays were free {front/rear}, the install doesn't look like it's gonna be all that free, carefree that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to find anything on this. Thanks in advance...

Tinman
:wall:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Tinman said:
Is there anyone out there that could supply some help on installing the front optional Ash Tray? It looks to me like the whole front center bezel has to be removed and I have no clue how to do that. Does it just pop off? Do I need special tools? The Ash Trays were free {front/rear}, the install doesn't look like it's gonna be all that free, carefree that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to find anything on this. Thanks in advance...

Tinman
:wall:
Wow - that does look tough. The manual has you remove the tray insert under the ashtray, then the whole plastic console trim plate (the piece around the shifter and including the cup holders and window / TC controls, then the radio and center trim panel. You then remove the old ashtray, plug in the lighter in the new one and reverse the order of removal for replacement. Looks like a bunch of work for an ashtray, actually.

Removing the radio looks like the only real tricky thing though. They have a 'radio removal tool' - the part number's been posted on another thread. It looks like you could make your own with a coat hanger. Basically you need to push something into all 4 holes, then pull outward to release the clips. The tool is basically just a wire handle for either side that you push in and pry outward on - at least from the picture.
Hope that helps,
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I'm a smoker, too, but I have no intention of smoking in the GTO. It's a nasty habit and stinks to the high heaven. And hard as heck to get the smell out of the car. Rather than go through all that work, you might want to invest in some chewing gum. :)

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes!!!!

That is a rotten deal, if you guys with the helms manuals (when they come in) could verify that I'd appreciate it. I am sure what DANSLS1 said is correct, but I just don't want it to be twue :( For a lousy smoke. Then again why couldn't they have put the thing in from the get go. O well, deep subject aye. Thanks for your fast reply's. I am also going to need a helms manual, would be helms.com?

Tinman

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I was reading it out of the Helms as I was posting tinman...
And it's helminc.com
Dan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Coat hangers don't work very well, I even tried some heavy duty ones....Wasn't able to pry the darn thing out....The hangers would bend or come out of the deep socket in each of the holes....Anyone got any other ideas? Also, please tell me there is a standard GM Antenna connector on the back of the monstrosity of a head unit....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tried 4 appropriately sized allen wrenches. Those definitely don't bend. However, I still couldn't get the stereo to release. I tried applying even outward pressure on the allen wrenches, but it's a little hard. I think I'm going to give up an get the removal tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Radio removal tool

Made two in five minutes out of welding rod. Rounded the ends. Worked perfect first try. But can not get the consol or trim ring off.
Jerry Quicksilver/Red M6 61 going on 14

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FLORIT is right, smoking is nasty, but I love it. Can anyone email me or post the helms directions for doing the front / rear install ? Maybe someone has it on CD aye... :)

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey Diggs;
Thanks for the pic's, they were a big help !! That job was a piece of cake. I grabbed four 6 - 32 X 2" screws and hand threaded them into the holes, I left about an inch of the screw protruding outside the radio. Then using small channel-locks I grabbed the screw heads one at a time and the radio came right out. I started pulling on the bottom left corner 1st, since thats where the slide in connections are for power / speakers etc...
Also, no need for the directions from anyone, Digg's pictures / post pretty much sums it up.

Thanks again Diggs ! :thumbs: :D :p

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
It would be a whole lot easier just to NOT smoke in the GTO! The only thing that needs to smoke on the goat are the tires!!! :bubbrub :bubbrub

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
jerry said:
Made two in five minutes out of welding rod. Rounded the ends. Worked perfect first try. But can not get the consol or trim ring off.
Jerry Quicksilver/Red M6 61 going on 14
I used 4 small ball end allen wrenches.Push in till you feel pop.
tilt all 4 wrenches in towards center of radio and pull. It will slide right out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts