LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have personal experience with one balancer vs the other?
ATI indicates theirs has to be rebuilt while fluidampr says good forever.

Roughly 50 bucks more for the fluidampr but if I don't have to rebuild it then it's a wash.

Saw some vids about the stock balancer possibly separating over time or with boost, I'm thinking might as well upgrade it unless someone has a reason not to.

·
11.94 et @ 113.69 mph
541 Posts
Not on my GTO . But on both my BBC race engines for my Chevelle I have had both my Fluidampr's on these engine since the 90's never a problem. 7300 rpm every weekend from March through November. Tried a ATI once . It wouldn't fit on the Eagle crank. Called ATI , they said you had to machine the dampener slightly to fit. I hung up , put it back in the box and sent it back. This was when we built my back up engine. Someone talked me into trying the ATI. Nice looking piece but screw that having to machine it to fit. But that was in the 90's and for a BBC , might be different now. Can't say, Fluidampr FTW.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Chevy 6.5 diesel engines are known for crank pulley/dampner issues, they have been known to break crankshafts. I have the fluidamper on my 6.5.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not on my GTO . But on both my BBC race engines for my Chevelle I have had both my Fluidampr's on these engine since the 90's never a problem. 7300 rpm every weekend from March through November. Tried a ATI once . It wouldn't fit on the Eagle crank. Called ATI , they said you had to machine the dampener slightly to fit. I hung up , put it back in the box and sent it back. This was when we built my back up engine. Someone talked me into trying the ATI. Nice looking piece but screw that having to machine it to fit. But that was in the 90's and for a BBC , might be different now. Can't say, Fluidampr FTW.
Machining the damper simply means running a hone through it and getting the fit to spec. Just like rings, bearings, etc. you have to measure for tolerances and adjust accordingly.

·
11.94 et @ 113.69 mph
541 Posts
Machining the damper simply means running a hone through it and getting the fit to spec. Just like rings, bearings, etc. you have to measure for tolerances and adjust accordingly.
Not with this ATI , it was back in the 90's so I don't remember the spec. But my engine shop measured the crank snout diameter and the ATI dampener inside diameter and it was a significant amount of material that needed to be removed, no hone was going to take care of this . My engine builder suggested sending it back and going back to Fluidampr. Maybe I just got a poorly machined one , but anyway that was my experience with an ATI.

·
Yes my name is Holden
554 Posts
Greetings Guys; Well I can contribute on this one. Back in the 90's I was building my second 406" SBC & the Fluidamper caught my attention. Thick fluid, we can all understand how thick fluid doesn't transmit motion-harmonics very well if it's not retained? Way better than a rubber (OE) band. So my machinist was primarily a drag engine builder, but built for the round y -round ers & of course street Hot Rods. He blessed my idea, 1994. And I spun that to 6500+ Thousands of times wearing out the engine (rings-cam bearings) 30,000 miles. So in 2004 I built another 406" & put another 14,000 miles on that one before selling the Bronze Brick. The new owner gave away that $8000 ***el of an engine to some Clowns on MT App show. They took the ***el out of the Bronze Brick & put it into a piece of Brown Smelly Soft Stuff mustang & beat the BSSS out of it spinning it to 7500 for what seemed like 3 minutes. They couldn't blow it up. Anyway I'm a believer & purchased another for my Ls 2 Pn # 740111 OE diameter. I understand that they make others that except underdrive pulleys. Take care Ole' Bob.

·
Super Moderator
15,352 Posts
No need for a boutique balancer here. Powerbond SFI is my go to anymore.

·
Yes my name is Holden
554 Posts
Greetings; Mr. Black that picture is distracting my concentration! What was I going to type?? Oh, I'm Sorry the subject wondered. I brought the Bronze Brick into the dampner answer. Then I got carried away with emotions. Anyway if any of ya are bored theirs a 5 page discussion over on G Body Forum. Take Care Ole' Bob.

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
I would run a nice balancer like an ATI if i was making significantly more than the stock power or running an aggressive cam and valve-train.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
37 Posts
I have the ATI under drive on my car. It’s a nice dampener and has done me right since installed. I was curious about the fluid dampener myself because they look really nice also. I do like how you can rebuild the ATI. But, both have SFI certs and that’s where the $ goes. Anyway, I’m at 500 horse N/A and spin to almost 7k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts