LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Semper Fi
2006 GTO, LS2, TVS2300, M6, torrid red
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first attempt at vinyl wrapping anything and, I must say, I did a terrible job. Lol

Wanted to put something on the VFN hood for some extra protection.

Did research and found a good quality material/company.

VVivid Gloss black is what I used.

It didn't help I was doing this outside with no covering over the car. But still.. very bad.

BUT it was a learning experience. Next time will be better, hopefully.

Brickwork Brick Wood Building material Line
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Grille
Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
Gotta learn somehow鈥 hands on, dive right in is the best approach I think. You can only get better from here if you are determined to do better.

Living the dream!
I did my hood a few years back and it took me two attempts, buying two sets of vinyl. Best is to have two or three people doing it.

During the second attempt, it took two of us to slowly stretch it over the hood and then lay it flat down. I then took a heat gun and started at the center and worked my way outwards. Lightly heat up the vinyl and it will easily conform to any curves or uneven parts. I also sprayed a solution on top of the vinyl to help the squeegee glide MUCH nicer. The solution I used was a spray bottle filled with distilled water and about 5 drops of baby shampoo mixed in it. Worked great!

Patience daniel'son.... Patience.

Worthless reject member
I hope you were able to laugh at the end. It's a toss up when I get into a project like that. Sometimes I laugh and shrug it off and say "hey, try it again"

Or it's the extreme polar opposite and it's fetal position, crying, scorched earth "I'm gonna sell this POS..."
or rapidly switch between the two highs and lows.

Semper Fi
2006 GTO, LS2, TVS2300, M6, torrid red
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you were able to laugh at the end. It's a toss up when I get into a project like that. Sometimes I laugh and shrug it off and say "hey, try it again"

Or it's the extreme polar opposite and it's fetal position, crying, scorched earth "I'm gonna sell this POS..."
Honestly, I had high hopes, but also knew it would most likely be a shit show. Lol
So, I'm proud of myself for doing it.
I also used it as a teaching experience for my son (he's 6yrs old).
About not quitting just because something is difficult and isn't going the way we hoped.

Registered
Honestly, I had high hopes, but also knew it would most likely be a shit show. Lol
So, I'm proud of myself for doing it.
I also used it as a teaching experience for my son (he's 6yrs old).
About not quitting just because something is difficult and isn't going the way we hoped.
This is the best. There is something rewarding about doing a project with my kids when I'm bumbling through it. And at the end we all laugh at my mediocre results.

I call myself "the world's greatest carpenter" because I'm abysmal and my daughter and I laugh our asses off every time I get the hammer and saw out.

Registered
Hmm, yeah def needs some work but hey, live and learn right?

For a big panel like that I like to just remove a strip of the backing in the middle, stick that down, then work my way out to each edge a little at a time, with some heat for the contours. You can keep lifting and replacing most quality vinyls before you actually squeegee it and more permanently stick it.

Chickun maka lousy houspet
Kudo's for the first attempt on something that wasn't flat! That's not an easy surface to wrap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts