LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right down to the wire! What a race.

Thanks to the Aussie's for letting us get one more.

·
WOT's Up Doc?
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I admit I hadn't been watching. But I thought the Aussies were pretty much cleaning up in swimming?

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
illuvial said:
I admit I hadn't been watching. But I thought the Aussies were pretty much cleaning up in swimming?
As of today, Australia is 4th in the medal tally behind the US, China and Japan. They were 2nd for the first few days.

We need to bask in as much glory as possible now, our athletics team is pretty average so next week will be a bit of a drought.

Anyone see the basketball yesterday ? I though the Aussies had the US until about halfway through the third quarter, then they weren't in the race. The three pointers the Aussies made in the first half were amazing.

The refereeing was pretty dodgy. I know jack about basketball (ask me anything about Aussie Rules or cricket) but the Australian commentator (Andrew Gaze, some of you may remember from the NBA) was speechless about a couple of the decisions especially an offensive foul against Shane Heal.

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Australians tend to try to statistically enhance details to improve performance based on the fact that we have a small population.

The US has 14 gold, 11 silver and 10 bronze and a population of 285,000,000

Australia has 7 gold, 5 silver and 7 bronze and a population of 20,000,000. If we had a population of 285,000,000, we should have 100 gold, 71 silver and 100 bronze.

Mind you the United Arab Emerits would have 101 gold medals based on this logic, so they would be winning the tally. :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
285 Million or 20 million, you should be find some athletic people! :D

And remember, at least your not....Wisconsin! :p

I didn't realize the population was that small. Heck, the Chicago metro area has around 50% of the entire population of your country. :D

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Oh, and the Thorpedo got countermeasured! :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
i think the reason that we do reasonably well with the swiming is that 80-90% of our population live within 20mins of the beach.
Its kind of funny back in ww2 they worked out that if they where to spread every single person in australia out sharing an equal portion of land there would be about 1 square mlle between each person lol. trench warfare kinda doesn't work when that happens... So the plan became gaurd the major cities and the water (you can only last 3 days without water, basically let any invading force die in the desert).

but yeah australia is also one of if not the most urbanised countries in the world with 80% of the population living in the main cities. i.e. sydney has about 4-5million i think which would be 1/4 of our total population and i think melbourne and brisbane have about 3million+ each meaning more than 50% of our population lives in our 3 largest cities.

yeah the thorpedo (poofedo IMO) got beaten... oh well we are sitting in 3rd now, i think, but when the track and field gets goin we will drop a few spots on the medal tally.

·
Registered
36 Posts
auzzie said:
i think the reason that we do reasonably well with the swiming is that 80-90% of our population live within 20mins of the beach.
Its kind of funny back in ww2 they worked out that if they where to spread every single person in australia out sharing an equal portion of land there would be about 1 square mlle between each person lol. trench warfare kinda doesn't work when that happens... So the plan became gaurd the major cities and the water (you can only last 3 days without water, basically let any invading force die in the desert).

but yeah australia is also one of if not the most urbanised countries in the world with 80% of the population living in the main cities. i.e. sydney has about 4-5million i think which would be 1/4 of our total population and i think melbourne and brisbane have about 3million+ each meaning more than 50% of our population lives in our 3 largest cities.

yeah the thorpedo (poofedo IMO) got beaten... oh well we are sitting in 3rd now, i think, but when the track and field gets goin we will drop a few spots on the medal tally.
Most aussies live 20 minutes from an athletics track and a gymnasium but we're sh!thouse at athletics and gymnastics - go figure. I think it comes down to sponsorship $ and government grants $ - all the hype has young kids getting into swimming instead of other sports.

BTW, isn't it wierd that two of the most obese nations on earth (US and Australia) are towards the top of the medal tally. Good to see a few people in our countries are fit.

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
whipplegto said:
Most aussies live 20 minutes from an athletics track and a gymnasium but we're sh!thouse at athletics and gymnastics - go figure. I think it comes down to sponsorship $ and government grants $ - all the hype has young kids getting into swimming instead of other sports.

BTW, isn't it wierd that two of the most obese nations on earth (US and Australia) are towards the top of the medal tally. Good to see a few people in our countries are fit.
Yeah, our rowers keep fit by punching on in the boat... :punch:

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
illuvial said:
I'll give you guys a gold medal for the Monaro.

Thanks man!

BBD will second that motion .. All in Favor ..?

Monaro/GTO a Gold Medal team if there ever was one! Thanks, Mates!

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
whipplegto said:

We're not fat! We're just big boned and thick skinned. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts