LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way I understand this is, even though you put your STOCK Tune back into your PCM the Dealer can still tell that you have used the predator and / or have modified the settings. If this is true, I never knew it till today. Can anyone else confirm this? :eek2:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I guess my question would be, why would they be digging around in the PCM anyway? Unless you had a serious issue they should have no reason to.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Well if this is true, we need to know it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Tinman said:
The way I understand this is, even though you put your STOCK Tune back into your PCM the Dealer can still tell that you have used the predator and / or have modified the settings. If this is true, I never knew it till today. Can anyone else confirm this? :eek2:
If that is true, the warranty could be voided for the entire drive train, right?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Yep. the warrenty could be voided if you do any tuning.

Can it be detected? It depends on how it is transfering and saving data. If the stock program does not go back in 100% accurately then yes. Also there could be something as simple as a date stamp on every PCM save. That is actualy quite likely. Car built 0n 11/03 and PCM Version date reads 5/04, bingo bongo, you've had a tune. Unless you have a GM Service receipt for a tune on 5/04 they can only assume it was a preformance tune of somekind. They still would have to prove that it was the cause of the issue but they'ed have a pretty good argument.

Do I know any of this to be fact? Nope. but anyone with a little computer experance knows Date stamping is pretty standard on a lot of systems.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Yep. the warrenty could be voided if you do any tuning.

Can it be detected? It depends on how it is transfering and saving data. If the stock program does not go back in 100% accurately then yes. Also there could be something as simple as a date stamp on every PCM save. That is actualy quite likely. Car built 0n 11/03 and PCM Version date reads 5/04, bingo bongo, you've had a tune. Unless you have a GM Service receipt for a tune on 5/04 they can only assume it was a preformance tune of somekind. They still would have to prove that it was the cause of the issue but they'ed have a pretty good argument.

Do I know any of this to be fact? Nope. but anyone with a little computer experance knows Date stamping is pretty standard on a lot of systems.
I'm in the camp of... They have to prove it, not assume.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I'm in the camp of:

Factory install of program is doumented on 11/03
Program shows a date stamp of 5/04
Your purchase date was 2/04

That is proof enough. Unless you have a valid reinstall from a GM shop w/ a receipt. Computers do not just randomly install and date stamp their programs. That is not an assumption. And it is also posible that there is some kind of log history. IE, on date xx/xx paramiters a=x, b=y ect.. They would likely log 3 to 4 change dates if they are logging.

Again, this is speculation but most OEM's of computers do track things like this. especialy when it is know that there is a hack of any kind out there. Preditor or any other tune is a hack. GM would be foolish not too.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Not me. I've got headers going on in a week. I know my warrenty is toast. :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
sxty8goats said:
I'm in the camp of:

Factory install of program is doumented on 11/03
Program shows a date stamp of 5/04
Your purchase date was 2/04

That is proof enough. Unless you have a valid reinstall from a GM shop w/ a receipt. Computers do not just randomly install and date stamp their programs. That is not an assumption. And it is also posible that there is some kind of log history. IE, on date xx/xx paramiters a=x, b=y ect.. They would likely log 3 to 4 change dates if they are logging.

Again, this is speculation but most OEM's of computers do track things like this. especialy when it is know that there is a hack of any kind out there. Preditor or any other tune is a hack. GM would be foolish not too.
Well is still depends on what breaks, the dealer, yada, yada, yada,...

I'm not going to worry about it but I am cusious now about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had an ECU on my TT that was chipped by a company that you have to send the unit out to... I fried it sometime when I used jummper cables.. (Baaad idea, boost box if you can) They replaced it without hassle or even comment- FWIW, they had it for over two weeks "waiting for the part"... so if they could detect it on that unit, they would have. Of course, this is for an ECU that was fried, so they may have been able to read it if it was intact and some other issue related to the ECU upgrade went out... like the turbo or something.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
hey 68,
werent you able to find a "mod friendly" SM ?
I talked to my SM and he didn't seem like he was Anti-Mod. But I do expect that if there are any problems that could be blamed on higher HP then I will have problems. I was more worried about loosing the entire thing. If I have A/C problems, funny switch malfunctions or anyother non-drive train issues, he will not give me greif.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Auto technician isn't going to detect it, that takes time. All an mechanic wants to do is fix the concerning problem. Their is no history to be found on a PCM from reprogramming, only a CAL number.

If you had a problem with your car, I'd put it back to the factory tune before I took it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Auto technician isn't going to detect it, that takes time. All an mechanic wants to do is fix the concerning problem. Their is no history to be found on a PCM from reprogramming, only a CAL number.

If you had a problem with your car, I'd put it back to the factory tune before I took it to the dealer.
What's the CAL number?

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Headers?

sxty8goats said:
Not me. I've got headers going on in a week. I know my warrenty is toast. :D
Where did you find some headers? I've been calling and emailing for weeks trying to find some headers. Are there any more?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Mine were ordered a month and a half ago. They are due in to Speed Inc this week. I don't know if all the sets they ordered have been accounted for yet. Hopefuly they will be delivered on time. These are the Stainless Works LT's. I hear that Gravner has Shorties but I have no Idea if they are in stock.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GMH GTO said:

CAL Number? does this change with each instal/ update?

I agree that most of the time it would never be looked for.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
Forgive me, as my comment is uninformed. But, a time/date stamp implies that there is a program that is able to determine the correct date. How can a battery vehicle be accurate, where does it get a current date??

Another question, I understand that a backup process is just that; A backup. If a time/date stamp were an issue, there must be a program that can determine if it changed. Input --> Process --> Output. I am not familiar of a backup procedure that is procedural. Educate me please, cause I don't know about flash stuff.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts