LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Goat guys.
I got one question about 2004 a4 GTO.
I ´m planning to go one event where the speed is between 30-80 mph.
So can i shift from 2nd to 1st or is it bad for the transmission if i only use those 2 gears manually?
I don´t know how should i drive on so slow event with a4.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What's up bayer? Just took a look at your cars you have in your sig. WOW!! You have a new Z06? Sweet....I finally saw one about a week ago. Same color as yours.

Anyway to answer your question. I auto-x with mine...but its a M6. I remember talking to a few guys with automatics. What they did was to just leave it in second gear. I remember them saying that when they put it in 3rd the car would keep shifting when it wasn't needed.

But then again this all comes back to the type of auto-x course that is set up. On my last event they put this really long straight....I was actually able to get to 3rd gear (first time all season). In that situation I think it would be best to leave your car in the 3rd position.

I guess you just have to feel it out man. Try different things each run and find which works best for you.

Most importantly have fun man. I was hooked after my first event. You should bring your SRT-4 out there man. Those cars do really good out there. Good luck. Peace.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
duomaxwell said:
But then again this all comes back to the type of auto-x course that is set up. On my last event they put this really long straight....I was actually able to get to 3rd gear (first time all season). In that situation I think it would be best to leave your car in the 3rd position.
Yes, m6 sure need 3rd gear, but a4 has way longer gears;) a4 reaches 85 with 2nd gear already. And i think the track is´nt any faster.
You might ask why i dont drive with the other cars? It´s because i have tried them allready and i wanna know how my goat acts in extreme situations, just to have better skills on street when the car loses it´s end.
With z06 i was able to go through the whole course with 2nd gear and it did´nt even ask to 3rd. With SRT i got my best time on that course and the 3rd gear allmost went to limiter. I have driven the m5 3 years and have tried it alot in diffrent courses so i just want to compare GTO with it on track.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts