LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
CARmotorsports.com
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an excellent contact for Fiberglass and Plastic that we could approach to develop a replica of the autocross grille but one that would serve as a cold air intake. It would be somewhat similar to a package used on the Grand Am where cooler outside air is inducted through the grilles and then channeled to the air filter. We envision actually making NEW grilles that are like the autocross grilles, but with an air induction type feature to allow the air passing through the grille to be routed by tube/hose to the air cleaner.

BEFORE approaching our supplier, we would like to know if there is any interest in such a product AND any suggestions from the many GTO owners regarding how the product might best be designed to work. For example, one option could be to use a lower cold air intake system whereby air is pulled in from the larger lower grille and channeled to the air filter. Please post your interest and suggestions, or you can email or PM them to us. We would like to move on this ASAP so let us know what you think as quickly as you can.

Thanks,

Alan
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
Possibly.

The only problem with using the lower opening is that you then have a lot of routing to do to get it back to the filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I like the auto-x grille. I'm interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
The system you're talking about should be able to be designed to work with either the stock openings or the other grilles. Yes, I would be very interested in this, as I have not been a fan of any of the other intakes so far.

The other problem with the lower opening could be saturation in the rain or being submerged in high water. You would have to have some type of bypass valve in the tubing, similar to what many import cold air intakes use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,016 Posts
flyinlow said:
The system you're talking about should be able to be designed to work with either the stock openings or the other grilles. Yes, I would be very interested in this, as I have not been a fan of any of the other intakes so far.

The other problem with the lower opening could be saturation in the rain or being submerged in high water. You would have to have some type of bypass valve in the tubing, similar to what many import cold air intakes use.
Ditto.
 

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
Just a thought here but can you make the induction system that will work for either stock or auto-x grilles. We can buy the grilles else where, we are wanting the induction system more than anything. JMO
 

·
I like boobs.
Joined
·
6,581 Posts
Why not just use one of the "brake ducts" on the auto-x grill to duct cool air to the filter area. It doesnt even need to be enclosed so long as it gives a nice flow of cooler outside air towards the filter while at speed.

Is the lower grill removeable on its own? Why not just make a lower grill insert to replace the stock grill insert completely that has some sort of duct like the auto-x version but without the extra facia extension to it. That way it is an easy swap and most people would like it.
 

·
CARmotorsports.com
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BillyGoatGruff said:
Just a thought here but can you make the induction system that will work for either stock or auto-x grilles. We can buy the grilles else where, we are wanting the induction system more than anything. JMO
We could, but we think we can produce the grilles for a lot less than $188, plus the grilles would have a molded section on the back that would allow the connection of the tubing. I suppose we could make both the X style and the stock style grilles if there's interest.

Alan
 

·
CARmotorsports.com
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CSiJason said:
Why not just use one of the "brake ducts" on the auto-x grill to duct cool air to the filter area. It doesnt even need to be enclosed so long as it gives a nice flow of cooler outside air towards the filter while at speed.

Is the lower grill removeable on its own? Why not just make a lower grill insert to replace the stock grill insert completely that has some sort of duct like the auto-x version but without the extra facia extension to it. That way it is an easy swap and most people would like it.
Nice idea, but what if the upper grilles are used to channel air to the air filter and we make a new lower grille to channel air to cool the brake rotors?

Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Here is what i would be in for....


1. Price around 200 bucks

2. Honeycomb grill, recessed like autocross, bold "GTO" in white like GTOs of past (maybe slightly larger than OE)

3. Routes air to OE filter location. (ie ability to use with aftermarket CAI and OE airbox)
 

·
I like boobs.
Joined
·
6,581 Posts
CAR Motorsports said:
Nice idea, but what if the upper grilles are used to channel air to the air filter and we make a new lower grille to channel air to cool the brake rotors?

Alan
Hmm, yes I could go for that... Functional brake ducts > Fakey brake ducts. :hail:

Heh, I figured you were talking about the lower grill in the first place, but sure i'd be down for some sort of air route system to redirect some of that flow towards the filter.
 

·
GO STEELERS!
Joined
·
5,106 Posts
Toss the idea of new grilles, just make a CAI like the vettes where it goes straight forward behind the radiator and has a wide opening.

I actually like the stock grilles.
 

·
grinning ever since...
Joined
·
452 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Here is what i would be in for....


1. Price around 200 bucks

2. Honeycomb grill, recessed like autocross, bold "GTO" in white like GTOs of past (maybe slightly larger than OE)

3. Routes air to OE filter location. (ie ability to use with aftermarket CAI and OE airbox)

I second this approach!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
915 Posts
Not sure about the idea. Some of us live in real hot areas and I wonder how your proposal would affect the radiator cooling system. We do not want hot engines.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
CAR -

I originally read the post as being what Fast GTO said - I was envisioning someting like a two headed intake coming to one tube, routing over the radiator, into the MAF and engine.

I don't know why everyone is concentrating on the lower grille - I think this makes far more practical sense, but that's just me.

I'd potentially be interested if there was a way to adapt this to stock grilles.
 

·
NASCAR-A-HOLIC
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
I would buy those ideas either way. Wish they would give an idea if they are still considering it. Directing air to the stock box area via the grill weather autocross or stock grills sounds good.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top