LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Excellent videos! :cool:

I know what you mean about the "plow-city". Who said GTOs aren't winter car's? Just put a front plow on that sucker. :gr_jest:

So how do you feel the Goat competes in its class? Which one did you run? I was put in SM, and with all engine and no suspension mods, I was just there to put on a show so everyone could say, "wow, a Goat! Sure sounds mean." At least I didn't knock over any cones. :)

Padre

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I run the Impala in SM, but the GTO I went into FS (should have ran in SM for points for the season, tho). As long as the tire pressures are up where they are supposed to be for autox, they handle fine (balance wise, not grip wise) with the tires being the limiting factor.

In the spring (unless something comes of it this fall), I'll have that problem fixed (new KD or Pilot Sport PS2 tires).

I think at a local level (unless you are running w/ the regional/nat'l caliber people) that if prepared properly, the GTO can be competitive (FS, ESP, SM). Mod for mod, tho, they will not beat an F-body or stang, due to giving up about 400 lbs or more, and being on same size tires, or limited to less than what the others mentioned have available.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Nice vids. Looks like your course was longer than the one I went too last weekend. I tried to post my vid but at 69meg it isn't going to happen. Too bad because you can hear the tires and see the slides as I go through some of the larger turns. I think the only solution is to build my own file server. Looking at hardware now but it will be a while before I get it done.

Next year I'm thinking about suspension mods. I now the goat is heavy but there's still a chance for it with some mods.

Padre, when did you go? Was that a while ago?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The goat is heavy when compared to F-bodies and stangs, but it's a lightweight next to the 4600lb (driver inc.) Impala SS... and that really is 2 tons o' fun with the suspension work I've done to it.

I think the goat would respond well to some stiffer springs, and slightly larger sway bars (16mm in rear is a wee small for my taste, considering the rear bar on the SS is a 38mm solid).

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
mlc said:
Padre, when did you go? Was that a while ago?
Aye, that was during my El Paso trip in June. I got a vid too, but accidently recorded over it. Good thing too, since I had left traction control on during that run. :banghead: Then again, my runs without TC on were only a second or so better. I'm much better in a straight line. :)

Padre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts