LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a few accessories I'm adding to my 04 Gto, and I'm OCD about doing wiring the most professional and overkill way possible. Currently I'm only adding some usb ports and heated seats+ few other small stuff. However I'd like to plan on future additions. I'm considering adding an additional small fuse box for aftermarket accessories, because I dislike tapping into factory circuits, and I'm also not the biggest fan of Add a circuit fuse taps.

I'm thinking about adding the Aux fuse box under the radio by the smokers package plug as its the only free spot I found, If you know of a better spot to fit a 3x3x1.5inch fuse box let me know but this car is tight.
I've also thought about adding fuse terminals to the 4 spare fuse slots on the factory fuse box which has led me to a few questions.

1. Would the wires on the smokers package plug be too small wire gauge (probably), to handle roughly 18amps Max for my whole auxiliary fuse box, or should I just wire my own added 12-14awg wire and relay for the fuse box?

2. If I decide to add 4 additional fuse terminals on the factory box, where should I source switched power to supply to those fuses with enough amp capacity, and should I wire it one to the next like piggyback? I'm not sure how the factory fuses get their power source, surely they cant have its own 12v switched wire per fuse it has to piggyback? If anyone has a diagram of the fuse boxes wiring before I take it apart it would be much appreciated.

Although I like my electrical work to be a professional as possible, I don't understand alot of theory behind it. Avoiding wiring in series and avoiding voltage drop or too small wire gauge is hard for me, which is why on other projects I just opt to add an entire aux fuse box with its own battery switch power via separate relay and negative bus bar. Its easier for me to avoid the factory circuits all together, but if I can integrate it to the factory box that would be the cleanest look.

Thanks for the help in advance sorry for the long post I ramble lol.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
I used a Painless Electronics auxiliary fuse box when I added my JHP gauges and Gentex rear view mirror. I did it for the same reason you cited... was not crazy about a million fuse taps into the main fuse box and didn't want a bunch of wiring scattered about.

I mounted the fuse box under my air filter in the engine bay and I ran a 50 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire from the battery to the fuse box. I ran all of the circuit wiring to a 10 pin custom plug and covered it in the black plastic tuning. Did the same for the interior wiring and ran it through the firewall. Had to fix a stereo shop fuck up and this was the perfect solution. The 10 pin connector was a metripack GM style connector I ordered online. Everything looks stock.

The Painless box gives you 7 circuits, some constant power and some switched power. Only 1 wire goes to the stock fuse box... a pink ignition on wire to power the fuse box with key on. Very simple but effective set up.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
Here it is half way through the install... you wouldn't think anything of it when you open the hood. The fuse box is completely hidden under the air filter and the wiring looks like it is part of the engine wire harness...

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Electricity Cable

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
that looks real nice.
Thanks. It comes with a rubber molded cover to cover it up with. Once the air filter is back on, it is completely hidden. The big wire running underneath the relay is for the wheel sensor. Painless has a weather proof and non weather proof version of this box. I have 2 circuits left to use if I have any bright ideas in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the help, i decided to just avoid the factory wiring and added an auxiliary fuse box and relay under the radio by the glove box behind the suede. Alot of real estate there to work with. I also used the smokers package plug for a ignition trigger wire for the relay and an additional ground. All wire ends are crimped, soldered, and heat shrink w/glue insulated because im anal about wiring. This is a temporary setup i need wire looms and i need to replace the main battery wire with a 12awg rather than 14. Thanks all.
Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Electrical wiring Road surface

Electrical wiring Automotive tire Trunk Gas Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Hell pecker yeah
8,134 Posts
I'm a little late here, but wanted to throw my pennies at ya. Years ago when I was adding the SCSS gauges to my GTO, I bought a factory fuse block from a wrecked GTO. I only bought it to harvest the terminals out of it. The factory fuse block has a lot of empty slots it. I added terminals as needed and I have spots for fuses to power what I need. It all looks factory and was very easy to do.

·
Wol Gemut
3,624 Posts
that is brilliant idea. I am going to try the same.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
that is brilliant idea. I am going to try the same.
There is a factory interior fuse block on ebay right now. I think it was $80.

Reactions: zech912

·
Wol Gemut
3,624 Posts
There is a factory interior fuse block on ebay right now. I think it was $80.
thank you, there is a local salvage that has some GTOs here, I plan to drive there Tuesday and if they do not have any, pick up perhaps that one from ebay. it is also called the cabin fuse box, correct?

edit: went ahead and bought the only one I could find on ebay, last one. lots of engine bay boxes just one interior.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
I wish there was a GTO in my local yards... I'd crap a brick of that ever happened.

·
Seriously?
2,020 Posts
Yes sir... glad you got it. I spend some time almost everyday searching ebay for parts. Never know what may show up.

Reactions: zech912
1 - 13 of 13 Posts