LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avon Tech M550 A/S or Continental Extreme Contact -

Anyone using either of these on the stock 18's all around? I've read that the Avon's run wide. How about the Continental's? Tirerack does not list the actual 'tread width' for the Continental tires.

Thanks,
Dave

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
Dave,

the CExtremes are horrible tires. you certainly dont want them. If you want a quality off season tire, check out the toyo Proxes 4.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't realize they were that bad. I'm looking for something that will be decent in light snow without having to run a pure snow tire. I'm leaning towards the Avon's but I've heard the 245's run wide.

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
Also check out the Pirelli PZero Neros....

But for the money, id go with the Proxes 4. Got a hookup on them for a buddy of mine for his jetta and he loves them.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,958 Posts
I have had good luck with the Avons. I have the tech 550A/S. 245/45 R17.

They do not run wide, or at least mine don't. I have no strut rub problems (knocks on wood). They do make a little bit more noise when braking, but I think that is true of all directional tread tires. They work well in the wet, handle great.

They don't have great hook up traction, but I don't know of an All Season tire that does with the torque of the GTO.

I paid $130 per mounted and balanced back in April. They are also made in America if that helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Avon tech 550 a/s in 18"s are terrible in wet weather. I had them on my GTO for about two months. Took them off and installed Goodyear Eagle GSD-3

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Avon 550 A/S on my GTO now..I also have them on my Audi A6 Quattro..The Avons have been very good in the snow and the rain and the dry pavement..are they snow tires NO, are they racing tires NO..but they do handle good, are quiet, have good grip braking . For the price I think they are one of the best deals out there.
I also have had Michelin Pilot A/S on my Maxima and Mustang GT and currently have Toyo Proxes 4's on my Mazda 6..The Avons more than hold there own. alot of people seem so obsessed with Tires like they are going to be racing an Autocross or Drag race or whatever all the time..I would guess most people do not do that 99% of the time. But it all depends on what you want to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Avons are 235/40/18 on my GTO and do fine in the rain we have here.
My Audi's are also the same size and do fine in snow and rain.
at least those are my feelings on them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. It looks like the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S is the same tire as the Avon Tech. Same tread pattern, same exact specs and both owned by Cooper.
My only question is will the 245/40/18 rub in the front.
The 245/40/18 is slighty bigger than the 245/45/17. For the 18, the section width and tread width are both 0.2" more and the height is 0.1" more. It's not much but could make a difference. I'll probably play it safe and go with the 235.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts