LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made by tm-rush. that fit right into deck mounts of the GTO. what a wicked sound with the amp tweaked for a bit more punch... best part is, these subs (yes subs, i have heard 30hz on these puppies) are designed for 1000 watts rms, and the guy will replace the speaker if you blow it in the first 2 years you have it :eek2: . It is a mirror rattler with the stock amp and these speakers, but IMO replace the stock amp with one with 500W bridged with this setup, and it'll be all the punch ya need.

:hail:

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Hmm, if I can get a verification of this it might be a perfect match for the GTO.

Do they have forums?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
JL Audio makes a 6.5" subwoofer (6W0) also but it isnt made for infinite-baffle (no box). However they list one on the webpage for the 6.5" that is, but I couldnt find it on the site. They list it as XR650-CW which I believe is part of a 2 way component speaker set.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Yes it is part of the component set.

I really just need to find a REAL infinite baffle sub that fits that spot, I really don't want to take the trunk up with subs and amps.

BTW I had to wait on my new stereo upgrade, something came up (as they always do).

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Generally there are only 2 things that will recommend a woofer against "free air" mounting.
1. Excursion limitations, either mechanical or distortion limited. This is rarely going to be the case with a woofer rated for high power.
2. Qts too low due to too much magnet. This will result in an overdamped condition compromising low frequency extension. This can be easily fixed by either adding a measured amound of resistance in the circuit (raising Qes) or adding some mass to the moving system (raising Qms and dropping Fs)
It's far easier to make an overdamped speaker work in an infinite baffle scenario than it is to run a woofer with too little magnet in a small box. (no cure)
Anyone have the Thiele / Small parameters for the TM-Rush units?

·
Registered
113 Posts
After we removed the speakers from the rear deck we were shocked to find speakers that actually looked beefy (unlike the REALLY cheap whizzer cones in the front doors). I haven't tried it, but I bet if you ran a real amp to the stock rear deck speakers they might sound reasonable for infinite baffle. I can't believe how big the magnet on those guys are. Really wierd when you compare them to the other crap stock speakers.

The entire stock system is 2ohm so if you try make sure your amp supports a 2ohm load.

Since you pretty much have to remove the rear seats to get the deck out, my suggestion is to put 8s or 10s in the fender wells like Josephra. Tons of space and probably sound great.

I would also add unless you want to upgrade your alternator stay away from any speaker that needs 1000 watts to push it. Generally speaking it takes about 80 amps to push that with an effecient amp. Your alternator only puts out 90 and that is max not at idle.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Whats the manufacturer & Model # of those subs?

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
So are these infinite baffle speakers or not?

I want to upgrade all the speakers in the car and 6.5" free air subs are the main snag right now.

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
these are TM-RUSH speakers. They are manufactured by a local guy. I can get prices and specifications if needed, all i know are they are BADASS! I used to snipe db competitions in my iroc with 2 of his 12's and one amp at 155db 4 years ago!

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
straegen said:
After we removed the speakers from the rear deck we were shocked to find speakers that actually looked beefy (unlike the REALLY cheap whizzer cones in the front doors). I haven't tried it, but I bet if you ran a real amp to the stock rear deck speakers they might sound reasonable for infinite baffle. I can't believe how big the magnet on those guys are. Really wierd when you compare them to the other crap stock speakers.
I don't know how much benefit you would gain. I've found that it is not very difficult to get the stock speakers to hyper-extend (atleast that is what we used to call it when the speaker reached max travel and you got a kind of pop on hard bass). Try playing Metallica at decent volume and it happens quite frequently with the EQ off and bass at +1.

Bob

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:
I don't know how much benefit you would gain. I've found that it is not very difficult to get the stock speakers to hyper-extend (atleast that is what we used to call it when the speaker reached max travel and you got a kind of pop on hard bass). Try playing Metallica at decent volume and it happens quite frequently with the EQ off and bass at +1.

Bob
Excursion limited. Fairly important spec in a small woofer. A 6" driver requires almost double the excursion of an 8" unit to displace the same volume of air. A given dB volume level at half the frequency requires 4 times the displacement. The Thiele / Small parameter is Xmax. To compare apples to apples, be careful to ascertain if the Xmax figure is mechanically derived (bottoming out) or distortion derived (maximum travel without exceeding a predetermined distortion figure), a much more conservative number. Pushing the distortion limited Xmax reduces efficiency severely, as it requires huge amounts of voice coil outside the magnetic gap.

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
mistermike said:
Excursion limited. Fairly important spec in a small woofer. A 6" driver requires almost double the excursion of an 8" unit to displace the same volume of air. A given dB volume level at half the frequency requires 4 times the displacement. The Thiele / Small parameter is Xmax. To compare apples to apples, be careful to ascertain if the Xmax figure is mechanically derived (bottoming out) or distortion derived (maximum travel without exceeding a predetermined distortion figure), a much more conservative number. Pushing the distortion limited Xmax reduces efficiency severely, as it requires huge amounts of voice coil outside the magnetic gap.
your thinking to hard about it man... put it this way, these subs :punch: 200% better than stock, they WILL NOT distort unless you distort the volume going into them, and you dont need to cut your car up to use them - they are a drop in install. I'll post some more pics later of these installed in the car and how i made it so they used stock connectors. :cool:

Ps, might not mean much to some guys, but to someone like me who wants the car to look and feel exactly how it came from the factory, these are cool. Ive had cars with massive systems, im over it, i just like something with a little distortion free punch.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
if they're as good as you say...I'm down. I'm not looking to win any contest, I would just like a sub that can take more volume than the stockers.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Give us a ****ing link or contact info if these subs are so good.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
iroc_zo6 said:
your thinking to hard about it man... put it this way, these subs :punch: 200% better than stock, they WILL NOT distort unless you distort the volume going into them, and you dont need to cut your car up to use them - they are a drop in install. I'll post some more pics later of these installed in the car and how i made it so they used stock connectors. :cool:

Ps, might not mean much to some guys, but to someone like me who wants the car to look and feel exactly how it came from the factory, these are cool. Ive had cars with massive systems, im over it, i just like something with a little distortion free punch.
I agree 100%. I just like ranting about woofers :sneaky: Doesn't look like these guys have a web site, or at least one I've been able to find. They do look pretty beefy, and about as much as you can hope to stuff in the OEM hole. Can you link us to a vendor?

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gary was leaving just as i stopped in (its 5pm friday). Subs are $85 each. He wants no part of Internet sales or out of town people because of the shipping pita. If you guys want some i can take care of you. I am down there Bs'ing with the guys at least once a week (usually friday) and have no problem picking them up and shipping them off on a saturday. It is just a small shop that makes these things, nothing like seeing your subs put together. :D

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
where's Homosassa, FL?

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its north of tampa on highway 19...

heres what it looks like in the mount, i had them bolted in but i didnt put the little piece of foam between the speaker and the mount. I was going to leave it that way but i was afraid it would start to squeek or something irritating like that. luckily i hadnt put the interior back into it yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts