LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Deal In Pain
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled the rear subframe recently I noticed some grease on the underside of the car. Is an old car and with all the rest of the parts and bushings I was replacing I honestly did not think much about the grease. My focus was elsewhere.

Today the rear axle separated from the diff. Two damaged bolts and one of the load spreading washers was still in the axle but the rest are gone. The car would not move. I was surprised that the posi would not move the car with only one axle connected.

Did some research and the grease I had noticed is a sign that the axle is spewing. The bolts holding the axle will then back out and the axle lets go of the diff.

I am going to assume that replacing the axles is the proper fix with locktite on the new bolts?

All bolts were in the axle when the subframe was out but less than 300 miles later all 6 had backed out. AFC31050-C5FC-4142-812D-75DBB1A8A9EC.jpeg 5EF437DB-A9C8-45F8-BD25-A476364FBC84.jpeg 81C34D11-3012-48B4-8732-A397B70CC325.jpeg

Anyway I wanted to post some pictures of the pattern the grease makes under the car so that if anyone notices something similar it should be taken seriously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought an 05 gto and I was going over it noticed this exact same grease slung out and around under there. What exactly does this mean a couple bolts where backed out but I put lock tight on them and snuggled them up and insight would be appreciated. I'm not familiar at all with these types of rear ends thanx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been driving it I think I'm gonna park it til I get this figured out my trans in my truck is being rebuilt so I been dependent on the goat lol

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
I recently bought an 05 gto and I was going over it noticed this exact same grease slung out and around under there. What exactly does this mean a couple bolts where backed out but I put lock tight on them and snuggled them up and insight would be appreciated. I'm not familiar at all with these types of rear ends thanx
Been driving it I think I'm gonna park it til I get this figured out my trans in my truck is being rebuilt so I been dependent on the goat lol
It's not that complicated. Use blue loctite, use the stock washers, torque to spec.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
Some GTO's had this issue from the factory. IIRC it was more common with 2004's. Just a good idea to check the bolt torque periodically.

Axle grease sling was probably from the grease working past the cap once the bolts started to loosen.

·
I Deal In Pain
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Mine is an 04. Car has 80k miles. Should the axles be swapped out for a new ones?

Might be time to call GForce.

Edit (I found this in a post from 2005) M10 X 1.25 Anyone know the size and pitch of the threads? I want to run a tap through them to clean them up before I install new bolts.

Also need to find where to purchase the load spreading washers.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
i mean it wouldn't hurt to have a nice set of axles on there, but that's probably not what made the bolts loosen.

M10-1.25 is correct, might as well upgrade to class 12.9. bolt length will vary depending on if you are using stock cv joints or aftermarket, or stock stubs or aftermarket.

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
you can use 05/06 axle centers and make your own using empi or gkn/lobro components, btw. they are easy to assemble.

that thread has a few broken image links, and there is a different way to use the RTV on the caps to make later disassembly easier, btw. anyway...

the 04 axles can be upgraded as well, but only the inboard CV joint. the outboard uses a CV joint that does not plunge, only pivot, afaik there isn't a replacement CV for it.

·
I Deal In Pain
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled the axle out (pulled both axles). Picture of the damage to the center cap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts