LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the first issue I've heard of with rear end problems has been reported. Interestingly enough nothing broke - bolts came loose.
From the 'other' site:

The six axle shaft to center section bolts on the driver's side fell out and left me stranded. Has anyone else heard of or had any problems with those bolts?
Dan

·
Registered
370 Posts
That was my car. On my way to work on Friday (6:30 am). I shifted from first to second (normally) and the car stopped accellerating and made a slight banging noise.

I had it towed to the nearest dealer and they didn't look at it until the end of the day (5:30 pm). What they found was all six of the bolts for the driver's side axle shaft to the center section were gone. 3 of the threaded holes seem ok, but three will need repair (helicoils) at the least. The hub does not appear to be available seperately. There was evidence of the collar and probably the bolt heads hitting the tailpipe (it's a custom made 3" single - a whole nother story). There is adequate clearance when the car sets normally. I am assuming that the few times I experienced wheel hop (which this car is horrible for!) the bolt heads hit the pipe, and because the collar is rotating, that the bolts, as they skipped across the pipe were being loosened. Last time I expereinced wheel hop was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Right now, especially because of the holiday, the warranty claim is on hold, so I had to jump through hoops to get a ride. I ended up asking the selling dealership to give me a loaner, they did, they gave me a 24 hour test drive car for the entire weekend. The worst thing is that my sister and neice are coming out (to Phoenix & Vegas) Friday and we were supposed to tour the Southwest for a week (lots of mileage). The main reason for getting the car.

The dealership fixing the car backed away from the warranty claim because of the exhaust pipe. They thought that the person that installed the exhaust may have loosened the bolts, but that was not the case (see next paragraph).

On Saturday morning (today) I went back to the area of the mishap, and within 50 feet I found all six bolts and all 3 retainer pieces, they pretty much came off at the same time. There is no evidence of additional wrenching (they are allen head bolts) and not every bolt shows alot of marring on the heads, keep in mind they all have road rash now. Matter of fact it was the driver's side bolts but all of them ended up against the passenger's side curb.

I took the bolts to the dealership but they are on a skeleton crew today so nobody was there to look at them. Four of the bolts have a good amount of axle fluid (at least it smells that way) on the threads and two are dry, the axle does not appear to be leaking. I did notice that the retainers that the bolts go through did not make any type of impression on the tin collar that they are up against - leading me to think that they were not tight to begin with.

Between two dealers here in Phoenix I was able to come up with three retainers and six bolts, at the second dealership they asked if I was from the Bondurant driving school, because they had been having problems with those bolts on their GTOs.

I think I'm afraid that I'm going to take it in the rear on the warranty, what do you guys think? The one upgrade that I intend on doing is drilling the heads of the bolts and safety wiring them. I would recommend anyone racing these things to do so!

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
hellhammer said:
That was my car. On my way to work on Friday (6:30 am). I shifted from first to second (normally) and the car stopped excellerating and made a slight banging noise.

I had it towed to the nearest dealer and they didn't look at it until the end of the day (5:30 pm). What they found was all six of the bolts for the driver's side axle shaft to the center section were gone. 3 of the threaded holes seem ok, but three will need repair (helicoils) at the least. The hub does not appeare to be available seperately. There was evidence of the collar and probably the bolt heads hitting the tailpipe (it's a custom made 3" single - a whole nother story). There is adequate clearance when the car sets normally. I am assuming that the few times I experienced wheel hop (which this car is horrible for!) the bolt heads hit the pipe, and because the collar is rotating, that the bolts, as they skipped across the pipe were being loosened. Last time I expereinced wheel hop was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Right now, especially because of the holiday, the warranty claim is on hold, so I had to jump through hoops to get a ride. I ended up asking the selling dealership to give me a loaner, they did, they gave me a 24 hour test drive car for the entire weekend. The worst thing is that my sister and neice are coming out (to Phoenix & Vegas) Friday and we were supposed to tour the Southwest for a week (lots of mileage). The main reason for getting the car.

The dealership fixing the car backed away from the warranty claim because of the exhaust pipe. They thought that the person that installed the exhaust may have loosened the bolts, but that was not the case (see next paragraph).

On Saturday morning (today) I went back to the area of the mishap, and within 50 feet I found all six bolts and all 3 retainer pieces, they pretty much came off at the same time. There is no evidence of additional wrenching (they are allen head bolts) and not every bolt shows alot of marring on the heads, keep in mind they all have road rash now. Matter of fact it was the driver's side bolts but all of them ended up against the passenger's side curb.

I took the bolts to the dealership but they are on a skeleton crew today so nobody was there to look at them. Four of the bolts have a good amount of axle fluid (at least it smells that way) on the threads and two are dry, the axle does not appear to be leaking. I did notice that the retainers that the bolts go through did not make any type of impression on the tin collar that they are up against - leading me to think that they were not tight to begin with.

Between two dealers here in Phoenix I was able to come up with three retainers and six bolts, at the second dealership they asked if I was from the Bondurant driving school, because they had been having problems with those bolts on their GTOs.

I think I'm afraid that I'm going to take it in the rear on the warranty, what do you guys think? The one upgrade that I intend on doing is drilling the heads of the bolts and safety wiring them. I would recommend anyone racing these things to do so!

Dave
If they give you any flack ask to meet with the Pontiac zone Manager
If all else fails p.m. me and I will get in contact with some people that may help.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Holy goats!

hellhammer said:
I had it towed to the nearest dealer and they didn't look at it until the end of the day (5:30 pm). What they found was all six of the bolts for the driver's side axle shaft to the center section were gone. 3 of the threaded holes seem ok, but three will need repair (helicoils) at the least. The hub does not appear to be available seperately.

Dave
I guess everyone will know where I'll be first thing in the morning with torque specs, a few Allen sockets, the torque wrench, and a little Loctite if needed. Dave, NO way I see they can tie the exhaust to loosening halfshaft bolts. If they weren't tightened properly in the first place (and very slightly possible even if they were) I can believe wheel tramp might loosen them along with ordinary loads. What is your mileage? That number, if low, would argue improper assembly pretty strongly. As he says, let Holeshot know how this is playing out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mileage is just under 3600.

On a semi related note - when it happened I would have bet it was the clutch. Over the last couple of weeks the clutch has been acting up and I was geting ready to take it in. It seems to really slip a lot. Some times it holds and the car really takes off, other times you can tell that not all the power is getting to the rear, and a lot of times, second gear seems like it pulls harder than first. More and more the clutch will make that sound as if you try to start off in a higher gear (that lugging sound). So sometimes (getting more and more) I have to give it extra gas to get it going when driving normally. I have even had the clutch get stuck, and you could smell it. The car would barely accelerate, I had to baby it and after several seconds it let up. I know there have been problems with the clutch bolts not being tight. The dealer is supposed to check that too. Is the clutch itself insuficient? Should it be upgraded? I really didn't want to have to do a lot to the car, they are expensive enough already. Especially in my case since I traded in a super slow automatic GTO for the M6 and had to take it in the rear then too.

These cars (the 2 GTOs) are wearing me out, I bought the GTO to replace my 2000 Z-28 A4 which has 43,000 miles and I figured it was getting ready to go through a maintenance phase at that mileage, so far I have just had to replace the battery. Though the GTO is a more solid car. The Z-28 has had zero problems and even with the automatic will run over the GTOs, the Z-28 is 100% stock.

Dave

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Powertrain section

hellhammer said:
Mileage is just under 3600.

On a semi related note - when it happened I would have bet it was the clutch. Over the last couple of weeks the clutch has been acting up and I was geting ready to take it in. It seems to really slip a lot. Some times it holds and the car really takes off, other times you can tell that not all the power is getting to the rear, and a lot of times, second gear seems like it pulls harder than first. More and more the clutch will make that sound as if you try to start off in a higher gear (that lugging sound). So sometimes (getting more and more) I have to give it extra gas to get it going when driving normally. I have even had the clutch get stuck, and you could smell it. The car would barely accelerate, I had to baby it and after several seconds it let up. I know there have been problems with the clutch bolts not being tight. The dealer is supposed to check that too. Is the clutch itself insuficient? Should it be upgraded? I really didn't want to have to do a lot to the car, they are expensive enough already. Especially in my case since I traded in a super slow automatic GTO for the M6 and had to take it in the rear then too.

These cars (the 2 GTOs) are wearing me out, I bought the GTO to replace my 2000 Z-28 A4 which has 43,000 miles and I figured it was getting ready to go through a maintenance phase at that mileage, so far I have just had to replace the battery. Though the GTO is a more solid car. The Z-28 has had zero problems and even with the automatic will run over the GTOs, the Z-28 is 100% stock.

Dave
When you get a moment, scope out the powertrain section. Like most of the stuff in this Forum, it is just chock full of info about the fairly common concerns and issues you are mentioning, but you are the first non-racer I have heard of with a half shaft issue...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe they disconected the axle when they modified your exhaust system? And didn't re-tighten properly?
Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
wildwall said:
Maybe they disconected the axle when they modified your exhaust system? And didn't re-tighten properly?
Jeff
That's what the dealer and I both thought, and I went to the muffler shop that did it to find out and kill the kid if he did, but he wasn't working there any longer, but the manager said he didn't think he had to. I had the exhaust made on the first car then transfered to the second car. I thoroughly supervised the initial fabrication but did not watch the switch. However, now that I found the bolts, there is no sign of additional wrenching, they have the same markings as the ones on the other axle.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am sure what you say is true. But playing the devil's advocate here for a minute, GM will probably claim that the axle was removed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
7/6/04 Ruin my Holiday weekend was a complete success, thanks to Lou Sobh Pontiac of Scottsdale, AZ! They went well out of their way to make me as uncomfortable and mad as possible. Not only did they not even attempt to fix the car because they were waiting for a warranty ok. But they also did not perform any of the bulletins that pertain to the clutch and thunk in the trunk after I asked them to do so several times. However, they did successfully dent my right fender and hood. I had the car pulled and transfered to Midway Pontiac (the selling dealer), still got flack about the repair, but pretty much got, "we'll cover it because you bought the car here" type of response. The guy at Midway really gave me a hard time about the exhaust, he said it was the worst he ever saw. It is a custom made 3 inch single pipe from half way back, it is made from pre-made 3 inch mandrel bent pieces, so it will have multiple pieces welded together. Oh ignorance is terrible. He also said it was pretty close to the gas tank, interesting.

My exhaust pipe did not have anything to do with the bolts falling out of the axle, PERIOD. In my previous posts on this matter, I thought they may have contacted the pipe, but it was impossible for that to happen, they just don't get that close to the pipe. And with the fixed center section the exhaust and the axle only get slightly closer when the wheels are hanging on the lift, but have greater clearance when the car is on the tires. The contact with the pipe had to occur when the bolts were on there way out.

Look for me in the news!!!

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts