LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
^^^^^^^^
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a new item from harrop in au - http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder/driveline_components/99-acvr6824-00.html

The cover is manufatured in own own casting facility from high grade, heat treated aluminium,CNC machined in Mazak high speed 5 axis machining centres.

Features
Designed to suit Holden IRS Commodore, Monaro, GTO vehicles.
Direct bolt-on upgrade for the standard diff cover and sub-frame rear mount.
Significantly reduces axle tramp.
Substantially increases oil capacity, resulting in improved cooling and durability.
Utilises standard wheel speed/ABS sensors.

$499.00 including GST. (Australian Dollars)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
That looks like it would significantly raise the rear end of the car. That could either add or detract from the car's appearance. Still, it's nice to know this product is available. What's the exchange rate these days?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The height of the differential shouldn't affect the ride height of the car, but would change the angle the half shafts run in most of the time. I doubt they would make a part that changes the height of the differential.

·
^^^^^^^^
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks trishield...

im waiting for some people to buy this unit here in australia, to confirm that it does eliminate or greatly redice wheelhop...

if it does... this is pretty big deal , and not an unreasonable price (remember harrop custom makes parts for V8 supercars) and have great deal of experience.

although they aren't a sponsor of this site (i know), maybe BMR can get in on the act and make something similar...

watta ya think ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
TriShield said:
I didn't notice pronounced wheel hop when I drove GTOs, is it really bad?
Tri,

The wheel Hop isn't near as bad as it was on my '99 Cobra, but it is there. Granted the only time I've had it really bad was when I powershifted on the 1-2 shift at 6 grand!!!!! It hopped so bad that I thought I'd dropped the entire rear end out of the car!!!!!! :eek:

At least I haven't heard of anybody braking any half-shafts like on the Cobra IRS........(at least not yet anyway!!!!)

-JB

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Yipes Stripes!

Paint a straight white stripe the length of the half-shafts and driveshafts (easy on the paint, a thin pass will do it, don't create a balance issue). Every once in a while inspect them with a straight edge, any twisting can be an issue developing. My BB even put slight twists in Moser shafts, but they never moved again after the initial 'set'. ;)

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Rear Cover and Mount

GTOJ said:
I wonder how hard that piece is to install?
Not as bad as you might think according to the manuals, but aligning it back to the same mounting location is part of the issue and must be done as precisely as possible. I believe it also requires the use of the torque degree meter for the mounting bolts (bolt stretch). I've only had hard axle tramp twice quite unexpectedly, but definitely don't want to see it again. I am considering this job carefully, but am leaning towards doing it. I am sure it's just a matter of time before the tramp causes breakage. :eek:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I've gotten bad wheel hop in two situations... doing an aggressive 1-2 shift on the stock tires and doing a burn out at the track on my drag radials. The 1-2 shift is clean with the drag radials and my new Toyo T1S 275/35/18's. I sometimes get that very satisfying "bark" but no wheel hop. The "burn out wheel hop" on the drag radials is probably because I can't drive. I'm learning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts