LS1GTO Forums banner

Short Shifter... Short Shifter Not

• I'm in! Where do I sign?

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • I will step up if enough people commit.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Already bought/made something!

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Keeping mine stock, thank you!

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lengthy conversations with representatives from a few major US shifter manufacturers (B&M, Hurst & Pro 5.0), and after testing several Australian short shift options, I have concluded that the US manufacturers see little to no demand for the GTO application. This translates to little to no interest in building a production product. However, there is one long-shot option to have a GTO short shifter produced by one of these US companies, with an 8-10 week production time. While the quality and price are excellent, the barrier is the quantity; the initial order request is three hundred (300) units, which I believe would take years to deplete based on the current demand I see for short shifters. I think I may be able to sell it through at a lower number...

At this point, this option rests in the hands of you, the GTO owners, and is based on quantity. Thus, this is my request for those of you who are serious enough to commit to make a post. I will take the total requests to the manufacturer and attempt to sell it through. Below are some details.

Details:
Maximum price of $250.00
30% (Approx) reduction throw
Improved gating
Lifetime warranty
Etc.

Who is serious?

Jim

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
As long as it is as advertised...

...count me in. Short chrome shaft and a cue ball knob would be a bonus.

Diggs

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
2K5 GTO said:
I'm in if it'll fit an 05 when they finally get here...
Ditto that...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Despite what the sales reps might tell you, Hurst has had a completely redesigned shifter in development for several months. I supplied the mule car for their initial measurements, and Al Noe from Stainless Works has donated his car for subsequent fittings. The reason it is taking so long is that a complete ground up shifter needs to be built, tested, and refined before release to production. No off-the-shelf components were suitable. The prototypes have already gone through several iterations. To do the job right requires a lot more than just shortening the throw by moving the pivot point and putting in a shorter stick. The remote actuation rod and gate structure on the OEM shifter are a rubbery mess and need to be replaced entirely. Not to mention the goofy snap-fit knob that Holden chose to use. It is quite unlike the shifters on the Corvette, Fbody, Viper, or anything else that uses a T56.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
what happend to selling ripshift jim???

Just ordered one:)

·
Got V8
241 Posts
I'm in if the stock knob can be used.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GMH GTO said:
what happend to selling ripshift jim???

Just ordered one:)
yeah, what happened to the ripshift? Speed inc sort of got the drop on that one.

i would be interested if it retains the stock boot and knob

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Ripshift as you know uses the stock knob boot everything :secret:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Count me in

·
Registered
980 Posts
Gravana Jim said:
After lengthy conversations with representatives from a few major US shifter manufacturers (B&M, Hurst & Pro 5.0), and after testing several Australian short shift options, I have concluded that the US manufacturers see little to no demand for the GTO application. Details:

Maximum price of $250.00
Jim
Recent posts quote the ripshift at ~$500. That is insane and explains lack of demand.

I will get one if price is closer $200, depending on features and it must keep the same knob/boot.

_DM

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
I'm in if the price is a wee cheaper and like everyone else says, keep the OEM knob and boot, I mean come on, it matches the rest of the car!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
dmonty said:
Recent posts quote the ripshift at ~$500. That is insane and explains lack of demand.

I will get one if price is closer $200, depending on features and it must keep the same knob/boot.

_DM
Its $449 from speed Inc. they are in IL as am I so I owe the state about another $35 :barf: The product your getting from ripshift is exactly what i'm looking for, they are used in 10 second monaros in aus. Its all about hitting 3rd gear or 4th. correctly which this shifter seams to get confused or maybe its the driver :rolleyes: If ripshift can help me find 3rd gear 100% of the time and very fast without having to look at the shifter position its worth every cent.

·
RIP George...
2,163 Posts
If we could get a domestic shifter for cheaper ($200 - $300 range) I would definately be in. That was the only mod that I had on my 95 LT1 Camaro (a Hurst) and it was worth every penny!

I would order a Ripshift but it's a little steep for right now. Count me in!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Id be in as well.

Im not sure whether or not Id like to use the stock shifter. I do like the fact that it matches the car but the way it attaches sucks. Over time it will not stay attached to the shifter. this is a common problem in cars with this type of shift knob. You will end up at the track and when you go to throw it into second or fourth, you will end up with the knob in your hand . . .

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Striped04 said:
If we could get a domestic shifter for cheaper ($200 - $300 range) I would definately be in. That was the only mod that I had on my 95 LT1 Camaro (a Hurst) and it was worth every penny!

I would order a Ripshift but it's a little steep for right now. Count me in!
i agree. i want to wait and see who else makes something. then maybe in a year there if are not any comparable products. i will anti up for the rip shift. its just not important enough to me to spend the $500 to get it RIGHT NOW. i can wait alittle while.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
I will take the total requests to the manufacturer and attempt to sell it through. Below are some details.
Maybe you could bring up the fact that the '05 will use the same setup as the '04 and that they would not be making this for only one model year? Wonder if that might help push em into production?

-Brian

1 - 20 of 70 Posts