LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant:Who would have thought? (insert sarcasm here)
I was in my subdivision and as I was shifting into 2nd
at 2K rpms the damn thing just broke! The shaft snapped down by the bottom.
$159 for b&m shifter
$80 for the install
$70 for towing
$400 for the dealership to reinstall the factory shifter.
Thanks B&M! :soapbox: :madsign3: You suck arse :The_Villa :The_Villa

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
I feel your pain man, thats why I went with the GMM... but I spent waaay too much too.

GMM at old price: $400

dumb ass me bought B&M: $200

dumb ass me having to buy GMM at reduced price: $300

Me thinking I was saving $200 by going B&M: -$100

so lesson learned: GMM at original price< B&M + GMM at new price :slap:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rok and gotzagto you are both so right. I should have bought the GMM in the first place.:banghead:
:fawkdance b & m =:bs:

·
"Power Abuser"
1,080 Posts
Just got my GMM from AZPS West. I think they had three left on the floor when I walked out with mine.

I have had a Harrop on backorder for almost a month. I called Lingenfelter and it still wasn't in. Cancelled the order and picked up the GMM. Getting it installed next Monday.

I almost bought the B&M but heard all the bad things about them before doing it.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
That is why I sold my B&M before it broke. Not that it did, or was about to. I just did not want that problem. Got the GMM, and did not know why I did not look around before I bought the B&M. Was not on this sight at time of install of the B&M.

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
I have the B&M and it works fine for me. For some reason people tend to post bad things about the B&M, but I always hear problems with the GMM talking to some GTO owners (something about stops). Right now I don't think anyone makes a complete shortshifter for the GTO without problems. Its kind of funny how people don't post their issues about that GMM though. :rolleyes:

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Never had an issue with a GMM, nor do I believe I will. I get the same kind of noise with the GMM as I did with both the B&M, and a quieter version from the stock one. If anybody has had issues, I would hope they would post them.

IMO, the problems with the stops are from not adjusting them properly. Use a feeler guage a said in the GMM distructions.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
LITE SPD said:
I have the B&M and it works fine for me. For some reason people tend to post bad things about the B&M, but I always hear problems with the GMM talking to some GTO owners (something about stops). Right now I don't think anyone makes a complete shortshifter for the GTO without problems. Its kind of funny how people don't post their issues about that GMM though. :rolleyes:
Fiz,you adjust the stops and they work just fine.......its the people who dont know how to do it right that make the GMM sound bad also

·
Can't... stop... modding...
929 Posts
I used to have a B&M that bent and came close to failure. It didn't break, but bent so that it popped out of 1st and reverse often.

I'll say this: Mine failed. But if you don't have problems with the B&M, that's great, but there is no denying that it's a horrible design and constructed with sub-standard materials.

Also: The GMM isn't invincible either. I bent that handle just as easily as the B&M pivot finger. The shifter mechanism is an excellent design, while the handle just isn't up to par. It's WAY too thin where it mounts, and tends to bend laterally when slamming 3rd (which I love to do). It's an easier fix, though. Just add some metal reinforcement to the bottom of the handle where it mounts and it's good to go. I really don't understand (as an engineer) why they added more metal the farther away from the mounting point, and the least amount of metal is located at the mounting point (most torque applied). This just baffles me.

·
Former GTO Owner
1,884 Posts
speeddemon said:
Fiz,you adjust the stops and they work just fine.......its the people who don't know how to do it right that make the GMM sound bad also
All I know is that when some of these goat owners go to the track with those shifters, thats when it pukes. To me thats just at the wrong time especially after you spend $300-$400 for it.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
LITE SPD said:
Its kind of funny how people don't post their issues about that GMM though. :rolleyes:

thats cause I have no issues with it, its been perfect! whereas my b&m gave me nothing but problems even with all the fixes....

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
LITE SPD said:

B&M= Junk. I have had many for different cars and they have all broke. I replaced those broken ones all with Hurst shifters and never had a problem.

As far as the stops go.........it's people who don't adjust them right are the ones having the problems.

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
On the GMM you don't even need the stops. Delete them before installing. The T-56 has internal stops. This is straight from Tremec.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
LITE SPD said:
...Its kind of funny how people don't post their issues about that GMM though. :rolleyes:

It's a conspiracy, GMM holds a gun to these people and makes them spend a good chunk of change on a shifter and forces them to never post issues about it.

Yeah that's it.:bomb: Seriously if there is a real issue with the GMM people will post it, especially since they paid top dollar for a shifter, they aren't going to put up with 2nd rate quality. The GMM has been out longer than any other shifter for the GTO, surely we would have seen a ton of complaints about it if there was a design flaw with it by now.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Heres my point of view. B&M has issues and the GMM has issues. The B&M issues are complete failure, Broken parts, stranded on freeways etc. The GMM issues are.... noise. I have heard of the stops coming loose and stoping you from gettting in gear but, that is all just becasue it wasnt installed correctly and not enough of lock tight was used. I would much rather have a shifter where the "problems" it has are just cosmetic (noise, vibration) rather then the problem being it breaks.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Yeah. after driving with the b&m for many miles. after putting locktight twice and still having it lose. and just all the other crap. and thank god i haven't had my shifter break yet. well i've finnaly given up and bought the GMM but i bought the " quieter" version so i hope it is actually quiet. Anyone hae any experience with the quieter version of the normal GMM? non race.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts